Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2022, 08:58   #16

Re: Oregon Hailing Port Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Yes, the state name would be long, but the abbrv is so tacky to me that I would never use it. Just leave off the state all together. (but Portland, Oregon wouldn't be bad)

As far as the state being on the side, our boat has had it since 1979.
Looks sharp on your boat!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 10:58   #17

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC_OR View Post
Yes, Scappoose is far from the Pacific; I think about half-a-day. I am very inexperienced right now, so I think that gaining experience sailing on the Columbia will be beneficial until I am more capable for coastal sailing.

When I say that I am inexperienced, I mean incredibly inexperienced; six, three and a half hour sailing sessions to complete my ASA 101 certificate, a few days of lake sailing, and a BSA summer camp thirty years ago. Very inexperienced. Although, I don't doubt my potential, I am quite aware of my limitations — with the acknowledgment that I know so little, I don't know what I don't know. That's why I am here on this forum.

Every piece of advice I have heard about getting into sailing has the same theme — time on the water. Medford, where I live, is too far from anything to be able to practice routine skills, network with other sailors to crew for, etc. Many people have suggested moving to the coast, but I cannot quite do that yet. What can/did do, is to purchase a boat. It may not be the ideal situation, but now I can get to the marina on the weekends, and I will be able to spend more time on the water and meeting people. Hopefully, this works.
Well, I meant that it's probably more than an hour each way just to get to the Columbia. Maybe three hours coming and going. Which might mean coming back from your day sails in the dark - at least it did for me - and Multnomah channel isn't lit or marked well. Whereas if you could find a slip someplace like St Helens, for example, you could be out on the river in ten minutes.

Of course, once you get out, you could stay out for the whole weekend. Lots of places to overnight close to the river. e.g. Sand Island, Martin Island, Kalama. Astoria is more like a full (long) day and twice as long coming back against the current and tide.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 11:02   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Depot Bay
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 15:24   #19

If you do go with "Portland", please spell out Oregon so that people don't mistake you for a Down East Yankee and your sailboat for a lobsterboat.
beanluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 15:54   #20

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I think you are right about the requirement for a 2 letter state abbreviation
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanluc View Post
If you do go with "Portland", please spell out Oregon so that people don't mistake you for a Down East Yankee and your sailboat for a lobsterboat.
No, you don't "spell out" Oregon.
The post by Wingsail is correct, you use the contraction/abbreviation.
As in, "Portland Or."

An aside, I know it's tradition, but I always have to laugh at the term "Down East".
Any perusal of a chart will easily show that when you head south from Maine you are making some westerly progress also.
I guess it's one of those things like saying that Ohio is in the "Midwest", when anyone can see that it's really in the "Mideast" of the US.
Wichita Kansas being almost the geographical center.
Old 23-10-2022, 16:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I always have to laugh at the term "Down East".
Any perusal of a chart will easily show that when you head south from Maine you are making some westerly progress also.
"Down" doesn't mean "South" though, at all. I mean, it doesn't mean North either, it just means "away down east".

The phrase "back up west" isn't bandied about as frequently, but it's perfectly cromulent in the dialect.
beanluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 16:22   #22

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanluc View Post
"Down" doesn't mean "South" though, at all. I mean, it doesn't mean North either, it just means "away down east".

The phrase "back up west" isn't bandied about as frequently, but it's perfectly cromulent in the dialect.
Yeah, I know, that's why I used an emoji.
You're right, they speak a different language up there.
Old 23-10-2022, 16:48   #23

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Most interesting hailing port I’ve seen was, “A Galaxy Far, Far Away”.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 17:46   #24

Boat: 2019 Dudley Dix 45

Toddster8, thank you for a better time scale. I don't know much about estimating time. I calculated about 36 miles on OpenCPN, and estimated 6 knots under motor. The boat has a 25Hp Universal and a narrow beam, but I was pretty conservative in my estimate. Hopefully, if the trip is less that an hour, I will have longer day-sails out on the Pacific.

I think I will probable decide on Portland for the hailing port. Two main reasons are; the name is easier to read and spell (I am an English teacher who has spent most of my life abroad), and because the boat has a swim ladder mounted on the port side of the transom of a CCA era boat (so 1/3 of a short transom is taken). "Eos" is also a short word; hence, a shorter hailing port the better.

As fare as spelling out Oregon or abbreviating it. I don't care, as long as the USCG paperwork is complete — I'll decorate the boat in whatever way looks best.
Old 23-10-2022, 18:22   #25

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
T...As fare as spelling out Oregon or abbreviating it. I don't care, as long as the USCG paperwork is complete — I'll decorate the boat in whatever way looks best.
Right!
Old 23-10-2022, 18:33   #26

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As far as spelling out the state vs the abbreviation, I'd go with whatever looks better with the name and hailing port in question. Sometimes one way just looks better than the other.

If it's a really well known city, just the city is probably fine. Everyone knows San Francisco is in California, for example. But there are a bunch of Rochesters in the US, so my hailing port is displayed as "Rochester, NY" to avoid confusion.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 07:00   #27

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

IMHO your hailing port is really for others, not yourself.

As a cruiser your hailing port lets others know where you came from and is a conversation starter on the dock. We've never lived in San Francisco but came from the SF Bay area, so San Francisco is our hailing port and more easily recognized by others that the actual town we lived for many years or the location of the actual marina we kept the boat.

Keeping your boat local and having your location (such as Scapoose) as your home port on your transom lets others know that you're one of them, shows pride in your community and is great for local comraderie.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 07:32   #28

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

So, my current boat is not documented so my hailing port is "Port of indecision ", my new boat (week away from close), is documented. Reading the CG rules it calls for the hailing port to be where the management (owner) comes from. The current hailing port on the boat is a Colorado town, not many ports there. I live in Maryland but boat is in USVI and of course I don't want Maryland asking for $'s for a boat that might only be in it's waters less than 90 days a year. So whats the best trick to meet the objectives. PS the State reg # will come from USVI
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 07:59   #29

My hailing port is west linn Oregon. The only difficulty l've had so far is the state will not issue state documents until they receive the coast guard documents. It took about 2 months. I was stuck in Alabama waiting for the state stickers and documents . You may be able to get the state to issue temporary state permits. To operate in the state.
Good people in state Marine Board..there phone number
303 378-8587
motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 08:07   #30

Quote:
The boat has a 25Hp Universal

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too This includes a link to the Critical Upgrades topic which has more engine information please read it too.

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Engine
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon