Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 17:20   #16

Re: Pacific NW charter help

San Juan Sailing is first class,power and sail are top notch.Have chartered
Three times there. Ten days won't cut It.we booked three weeks last time with a power cat,needed 4.Lots to see and do,makes the Keys a waste of time. Very boater friendly, lots of places to drop the hook or go in marinas.
Richard kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 18:21   #17

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
This has been a valuable read for us as we are passaging to Victoria from Hawaii next week to begin cruising this area for some time. From those that have sailed (or motored!) in this region can you comment on the reliability of electronic charts ie Navionics, CM's, etc?

Steve
SV Emerald Sea
Navionics is pretty good (both the app and the platinum card in my chartplotter). The older charts in the chartplotter do have this "cool" island in John Passage that isn't really there. It makes me laugh every time I sail through it. But other than that they have been spot on every where we have been from the San Juans and around the Island.

For the OP
Charter Companies— on the Canadian Side there are 4:
Coopers (Vancouver, Sidney and Powell River)
Nanaimo Yacht Charters
Desolation Sound Yacht Charters (Comox)
Island Cruising (Sidney)

I've chartered from Coopers and Nanaimo and they are both friendly have a good selection of boats and a great reputation. I've heard lots of good things about Desolation and not much about Island even though they are the local Sunsail partner. My own boat is in charter with Nanaimo Yacht Charters so that might tell you who I prefer to work with.

If you can swing the time (three weeks or more if you can although its possible in just two weeks) go north to the Broughtons. You are away from the crowds, the fishing is great, you are more likely to get some sailing in and it is simply stunning.

Second choice is Desolation, but you will want to try and avoid the busy anchorages that hosts the big powerboats and try to stick to the more out-of-the-way intimate ones. The water is warmer here than anywhere else and it has a culture all its own.

Other than that you can't go wrong anywhere from Desolation down to the San Juans. It all depends on your preferences and whether you prefer hiking or farmer's markets; marinas or anchorages. It's all there.

I hope you do decide to give the PNW a try. I have become quite the fan.
Old 25-07-2017, 18:29   #18

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasron View Post

1. Is sailing pretty much minimized during the month of August and should we plan on mostly motoring?
Oh, and one nice thing (to me) about sailing out of Nanaimo and heading north is we "usually" get at least one good sail crossing the Strait to the Sunshine Coast (or back again) and another heading up (or down) the Malaspina Strait on our way to Desolation. Although our luck is that Malaspina is usually a long day of beating as the wind always seems to be against us :-) Fun though...
Old 25-07-2017, 21:11   #19

Boat: Beneteau 331

Charted a Benateau 332 out of Anacords 3 years ago for a week in July. Could not sail there was no wind. Still had a great time visited Friday Harbor. Roch Harbor and Rosarios resort. A week was too short a time.
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 22:52   #20
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

If the weather is hot and sunny you will be motoring. High pressure ridge sets in and there will be no wind to speak of.
Lots of information available in the tide books for planning the narrow passages so just do the research first. Remember to add the hour for daylight savings time. An hour at some of the passes can mean the difference between slack and 3 or 4 knots. Keep an eye on the tides we can get a 13 to 15 foot spread between high and low some days.
I would recommend Cooper Boating as well. They have a base in Sidney BC Vancouver and Powell River. If you want to avoid the Straight of Georgia then Powell river will provide easy access to Desolation Sound and Sidney will provide access to the Gulf islands without the crossing.
I have lived in this area for fifty years and still have not seen it all or am tired of the places I have been.
Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions
Derick
Old 26-07-2017, 07:47   #21

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
Last summer we did San Juan Sailing in Bellingham. We loved them, and we loved sailing in that area.

We only really had one good day of sailing all week, the rest was motoring.

Our favorite non-touristy thing to do was to go into the bay at Sucia Island. They have some mooring balls, if you get there early just grab one for free. Otherwise, there is plenty of room to anchor. Take the dingy to the beach along with plenty of water and snacks, and there are paths all over the island, you can hike all day. And if it is clear, you have a great view of Mt Bakeer's snow-capped peak.

Our favorite more-touristy thing was Roche Harbor, play some bocce by the bay, walk up and see the sculpture garden, have some ice cream.

FYI - the moorings at Sucia Island are definitely not free. People do get one and not go ashore and pay the modest fee but they are required. You can get a WA parks pass that covers the mooring. Some get on a mooring and don't pay, may be even most, but if they catch you there is a fine that is substantially more than the contribution to keep the mooring field maintained and safe. Let your conscience be your guide.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 10:42   #22

Boat: Catalina 27

I agree with the previous posts. I have chartered from Coopers, Desolation Sound, Nanaimo and Anacortes Yacht Charters, they are all good. The discount on the Canadian dollar is a good incentive to charter in Canada right now. As previously mentioned I would pick an 'area' and not try to do it all in 10 days. I strongly recommend the Dreamspeaker cruising guides. They have a number of books covering all the areas that you are thinking about. In 20+ years of cruising the area they are my go to guides, excellent. Think about September as an alternative, less crowded and still good weather.

Have fun!
Old 26-07-2017, 10:50   #23

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I second the recommendation for dreamspeaker guides. They are easy to read and cover the areas well.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 11:10   #24

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I've been pretty happy with "Northwest Boat Travel" - it covers from Seattle to Skagway. I met the editor on the dock (her husband owns a Alaska crab boat) and she gave me a copy. I will definitely check out Dreamspeakers though.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 11:25   #25

Boat: Catalina 27

Yes, I carry Navionics on my tablet as Northwest Boat Travel and Dreamspeaker Guides when I charter in the PNW. I like Dreamspeaker's illustrations, especially when it's my first time in an anchorage. Northwest Boat Travel keeps me up to date with good info on marina's, groceries and local changes.
Old 26-07-2017, 15:41   #26

Boat: Formerly C&C Landfall 42 'Chrisalis' & Ontario 32 ( C&C Design) 'Gone Bananas'

-Cdn Pacific NW

_ Charter- Desolation Charters out of Comox - excellent boats- and access as Comox is the air force base so good Commercial connections

- Desolation Sound is a wonderful place and there are lots of sights to see with terrific large and small anchourages

- USUALLY winds in May and June with showers or the odd day of rain . July is usually windy ( though hasn't been this year.) July and August can get crowded in some places while the weather is normally sunny July- August with winds off and on , September nothing , October is a blast-- but then it might be a little cool as it is usually wet weather

- Winds either at your back or head on primarily due to the lay of the land- is the only possible negative because if out of sync with the wind changes one is either motoring into the wind---- coming and going - but if going and coming!!!!!good speed and wind aft the beam if running

A dull day would be flukey 5 to 10 Kn building in the evening. A good summer day would be 20 to 30 Kn wind- low wave height so this is just ideal sailing . October would take you up another notch as it can get 60- 70 Kn but good weather forecasting so you can't really be caught- as well civilization close at hand in most areas where big wind could be trouble- while tuck in ports mostly manageable with big winds .

Have to be wary of tidal changes and some holes in the wall can have some pretty stiff currents esp in the early period of the HW and LW tides - diuranal ( 2x a day) so keeps you on your toes

But then again- what's an experience for!!!!!!!
Gone Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 22:59   #27

Quote:
This has been a valuable read for us as we are passaging to Victoria from Hawaii next week to begin cruising this area for some time. From those that have sailed (or motored!) in this region can you comment on the reliability of electronic charts ie Navionics, CM's, etc?

Steve
SV Emerald Sea
Charts and electronic charts are excellent for this area
The whole inside passage they are bang on
Uricanejack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 23:20   #28

If you get fog in the southern gulf islands
Vancouver Howe sound all the way up to Campbell river desolation sound
In August I will eat my hat.

Jaun De Fuca fog in August yes you bet
Cold water see
admiralty inlet fog in August yep
North end Vancouver island Johnson straight fog in August most mornings and quite a few evenings

Gulf Islands to Desolation Sound the water is warmer
Fog is rare

Winds can be light but even when they are light sea breezes in afternoon can be good
I don't find it an issue
Winds are very changeable in among the islands particularly at points and passes

I was out a couple of days ago 20 to 25 NW
I had a blast
Today light and variable
I chartered from coopers for a week went to desolation sound and back
We had a great time
Desolation you are looking at longish days to get there and remote anchorages
The Gulf islands you can find anchorages or
When I took my uncle a pub or licensed resteraunt within a short walk every night

I like Waggoners guide and you can order
Evergreen cruising atlas on line
Not to be used for navigation warning but I find it useful
Old 26-07-2017, 23:36   #29

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Charts and electronic charts are excellent for this area. The whole inside passage they are bang on
And which electronic charts would you be referring to?
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:59   #30

Quote:
And which electronic charts would you be referring to?
I have only used the official Canadian electronic charts
I believe the unofficial ones use the same data
Take your pick

Tags
charter