Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2020, 01:35   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Palmyra, Washington, and Fanning HD video

Heh, by chance, because i am a Gunboat mailing list subscriber, i got a link on youtube that i want to share with you all if you haven't seen it yet.

John John Florence Vela is the title. https://youtu.be/YokXggc07Xw

There are 4 videos with HD video professionally done. It is by far one of the best videos i can remember. Five young surfer dudes with a professional French skipper and a 47 foot GB. They travel to these three islands. What the Nature Conservancy Corp has done on Palmyra since the military destroyed it during WWII is worth your time alone. It is salve to the soul for those who enjoy nature's beauty at its best.

The film is off the highest quality and i just want you to enjoy yourselves for awhile and forget about Covid and its attending worries. Escape for an hour and enjoy the beauty of these 4 short videos. Film 3 & 4....like stepping back to what it must have been like in the 1700's when europeans showed up and found the line islands.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 03:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Palmyra, Washington, and Fanning HD video

Thanks for that link to some incredible footage! Just beautiful.

I also enjoyed the trailer to Neil deGrasse Tyson's tutorial.
Neil deGrasse Tyson Teaches Scientific Thinking and Communication
Learn to think like a skeptic, open your own mind through scientific literacy, distill data, and navigate bias to discover objective truths—and deliver your ideas in ways that engage, excite, and inspire. Learn to think.
MasterClass https://www.masterclass.com/classes/...SAAEgLho_D_BwE

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 09:15   #3

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

If you've never seen John John surf, I highly recommend watching "View from a Blue Moon", it's beautifully shot in 4K and narrated by John C. Reilly.

I'm not a fan of surfing, but this is a mesmerizing film; the narration, music and editing makes this well worth watching. It seems to be available from YouTube and Amazon, and I'm sure other less reputable places.

I caught an article in the Yeti (the cooler company) Magazine a few years ago that had an article about John John moving from surfing to a catamaran.

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 21:25   #4

Gordy, thanks for the links. I am a medical laboratory scientist...so this will be interesting. Any way to ear mark these for leadership around our Blue Planet to help them make informed decisions based in fact and not finances?

And yes, world finances are critically important. But I pray to the heavens that the next time we have a go around with a villainous virus that we get it right. This has been like the Keystone Cops. Flame suit on....
Old 24-04-2020, 14:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Who told you the military destroyed Palmyra? BS. If anyone "destroyed" as a place for yachties it was the Nature Conservancy (with help from the US Fish and Wildlife Service). They won't let yachties in without an advanced reservation which involves a substantial donation. Same with flying in.

First the military dredged a deep draft channel or else it would be impossible to even
enter the lagoon today. They also build a short crushed coral strip which was pretty much grown over when the Conservancy redid it so it their big wig donors could fly in.
They build a little village of prefab buildings to wine and dine the big wig donors. Just try sailing into their lagoon unannounced they will report you the Coast Guard and if you ever show up in a US port or they spot you on the high seas they will arrest you and seize you boat.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 14:14   #6
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

If you watch the videos you see what the place looked like when the military were there and then you see what it's like now. It's clear it has recovered substantially.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 18:38   #7

Jmschmidt, wow, brother! I am not anti military at all. My father spent his whole life in the service of. Did you watch the videos? Many islands in the pacific were decimated by military activity during the war. The video clearly shows what it looked like before the conservatory took over. I do not dispute your feelings about the exclusivity of palmyra.
I can’t even argue about how they get their monies.
But can you approach a discussion without your fists up? It lacks a willingness to discuss. Can you also understand why they keep it off limits while they study their tweeks and how that effects the overall biodiversity? If you allowed the fat cat mega yachts with their 300 lbs anchors and jet skis... their 20 foot runabouts doing 30 knots across the bay... kite boarding... spear fishing... shell collectors... you will not have a controlled environment.

Yes, it is paradise for the handful of scientists. Btw... the 5 man crew were able to get a pass after jumping through the hoops. And they have no richy rich card so it can be done. Also, there are islands in the Hawaiian chain that you need permission to visit. Same reasons I think apply there.

My posting of the link was not to injure your psyche. It was for you to enjoy the beauty of the film and a rare chance for a visit to these far away places.
Old 25-04-2020, 04:32   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The former island paradise of Bikini Atoll is slowing blooming back to life, 70 years after the United States dropped 23 nuclear bombs on it, including a device in 1954 that was 1,100-times larger than the Hiroshima atom bomb.
A team of scientists from Stanford University have been surprised to discover an abundance of marine life apparently thriving in the crater of Bikini Atoll, which was declared a nuclear wasteland after the bombings, with its 167 inhabitants relocated to other islands.
“We found, much to our surprise, not just scattered corals, but very abundant, big healthy coral communities — corals larger than cars scattered about the edges of a hydrogen bomb crater,” said Stephen Palumbi
But, even though plant, animal and ocean life is showing strong signs of recovery, humans are still unable to live and work on the atoll, besides a few caretakers who bring food and water supplies with them, and keep up the islands facilities.

“What Bikini Atoll Looks Like Today”
https://stanfordmag.org/contents/wha...oks-like-today

“Big Pacific” (June 28, 2017)
https://www.pbs.org/show/big-pacific/

“The radiation-exposed corals of Bikini Atoll may hold insights on cancer”
https://biox.stanford.edu/highlight/...nsights-cancer

“How corals that re-colonized Bikini Atoll after nuclear bomb tests adapted to persistent radiation”
https://phys.org/news/2017-06-corals...l-nuclear.html

“Bikini islanders still deal with fallout of US nuclear tests, more than 70 years later”
https://theconversation.com/bikini-i...rs-later-58567

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing, Washington