Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 11:30   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Pearson Triton 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
9000 vs <7000 lb displacement
And probably the noticeable part will be the difference in displacement to (waterline) length. The Alberg is fairly heavy in that regard, but the Triton not exactly a lightweight. The Triton will likely feel lighter on its feet, a little faster in light air, a little more tender, but still is a very capable cruiser.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 12:19   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
Fond memories of Triton #503 that I owned in the late 1970's, a strong capable boat but there are a few points to keep in mind.

Since the last Triton was built about 1970 any Triton sailing today would have had its share of repairs and refits, maybe some done well, others not so much.

Things to watch for: Rudder is wood planks bolted to bronze rudder shaft, not bad if maintained or replaced by a real craftsman, easier to fix than a glass/foam rudder.

Deck stepped mast is supported by wood beams, check for rot.

Balsa core deck no doubt rotted by now or repaired years ago, could be a big job in your time or money.

The original Atomic 4 engine was good but raw water cooled, so more than likely rusted out and replaced, quality of work may vary. Later Tritons had a dripless shaft seal, worked OK in mine but unknown how it holds up over the decades, check for leaks.

Electrical system was minimal, just cabin and running lights, will need to run wiring if you want electronics, DC refrigeration and so on. No shore power wiring in the one I had.

Deck hardware, winches, standing rigging, and wire running rigging may all need to be replaced. Jib was hanked on so don't expect a furler unless a PO added one.

The roller furling booms of that era were a PIA, convert to jiffy reefing if not already done.

Tritons were built before holding tanks were the law, if a tank was added check how well that was done.

Now the good points:
Heavy solid glass hull with encapsulated lead ballast, no keel bolt worries but check for grounding damage and water intrusion.
Later models have a monel fuel tank that should be fine today.
Bronze window frames and ports.
The fractional rig is back in fashion.
Timeless Carl Alberg design.
Should be an excellent budget boat for cruising the Bahamas.

Hope this helps anyone interested in a Triton.
A few quibbles:
Only the east coast Tritons had balsa cored decks.
No keel bolts, but here is a good discussion about problems of the false keel construction in early boats (Tim Lackey's blog on his restoration of the Glissade is a great primer on the trials and tribulations of restoring a classic plastic-) Pearson Triton #381 Glissando | Repairing the CrackedÂ* "False Keel"
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 06:59   #18

I have a Triton and given two identical boats I'd buy an Alberg. Actually me and Paul above are pretty near each other.

Reasons:
I prefer the Masthead rig (although the ridiculously large main on the Triton makes her really effective in light winds, she ghosts awesome). And I hate the Triton's stupid 1940s jumper struts $%&^$%%$&^
The Triton is small inside. Real small. Really, really small. The extra space on an Alberg 30 would be welcome.
If you have any desire to do an outboard well conversion (ala James Baldwin), you can do the whole deal in the aft lazarette. With the Triton you need to open up the whole area.

That said they are both great boats for what they are. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a really nice Triton and I would encourage anyone to look over either boat with a fine toothed comb and a good surveyor. They are old, old boats.

The other thing about the Alberg is that the Triton is a really early design, I think he'd worked out a few things with the Alberg.
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 07:25   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
I'm 6ft tall and they say buy the smallest boat that fits your needs, I can stand in shoes in my A30 so I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Same here, and I can stand in my shoes in my B27 (but I'm rarely in shoes during the main parts of sailing season

I love the Tritons also, but they are really old like in their 50's.

How about a younger girl with similar build around 40?

27' Sailboat

See attached for restored Bristol 27.

this guy recommends both boats for offshore sailing:

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bristol27-cruisingmodel1975-1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	119050   Click image for larger version

Name:	bristol27-cruisingmodel1975-2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	119051  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 15:27   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Bristol 27, Pearson Triton, Alberg 30.....all Carl Alberg designs. Personally I prefer MY Alberg design....
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 15:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Bristol 27, Pearson Triton, Alberg 30.....all Carl Alberg designs. Personally I prefer MY Alberg design....
Yep, most of us prefer our Alberg designs.

I was actually looking for a Triton when I stumbled upon my boat which didn't have a for sale sign on it when I found it.

When they told me it was for sale and the asking price was $2,000, I thought maybe I should buy it and learn about this monohull sailing thing even though it's slow you can stay dry, bring along your computer etc.

That was in 2011.
Old 15-02-2016, 21:37   #22

Ahem, ...well SOME of us also like our Sparkman and Stephens Columbia 29s... from that vintage.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-02-2016, 07:23   #23

A 40 year old boat vs a 60 year old boat is just two old boats. At some point it becomes the individual boat and how it was maintained and improved. Personally any 29' boat is smallish, a 27' boat is tiny. The triton does have an advantage of being able to store a small dinghy on deck. Which is a big deal.
Old 16-02-2016, 11:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
A 40 year old boat vs a 60 year old boat is just two old boats. At some point it becomes the individual boat and how it was maintained and improved. Personally any 29' boat is smallish, a 27' boat is tiny. The triton does have an advantage of being able to store a small dinghy on deck. Which is a big deal.
Well! I hope you didn't offend me (or us)! I think it depends on the old question "compared to what?" For me, the 29 is roomy compared to my old 24, and quite a bit faster. It is big ENOUGH. I have a big roll-up kayak that holds the whole family too. My OLD boat has no leaks, a dry and clean bilge and a solid hull. I ain't trading her in fer nothin'
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-02-2016, 11:35   #25

Just saying a 40 year old boat and a 60 year old boat that have been abused are both chainsaw meat. And either one maintained could be pretty good.

The triton interiors are fairly roughly built compared to the Albergs and bristols. But if you found a nicely equipped one I'd go for it.
Old 16-02-2016, 11:36   #26

Can't beat the price But they sure are small. Sitting in mine right now.
Old 16-02-2016, 11:48   #27

Well, look at it this way, it's really handy because everything is within arm's reach!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-02-2016, 11:55   #28

Which is why I'm getting fat...
Old 16-02-2016, 12:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Can't beat the price But they sure are small. Sitting in mine right now.
I bought the Bristol 27 in 2011 to learn monohull sailing and systems having come from racing beachcats for 15 years.

The boat was loaded (including a dodger and almost new jib(s)) and in surprisingly good shape except the engine which only lasted about a month. The PO had left it near here on his return North from a 2 year cruise to Florida/Bahamas etc. I think he probably wore out the old engine during the trip

It also came with an inflatable dinghy, but I got rid of it and use my 16'6" kayak which I keep on deck

The boat was also loaded with charts from Cape Cod south including one large one just on the Bahamas.........

Now I have found that it fulfills all my needs at the moment.

I'm thinking if I actually do cruise one day, I'll start on this boat and if it proves to be too small pick up another one on the trip.

I have heard places like Florida are loaded with old boats for sale. If I did buy another, I'd just stop for a few months and prep the new boat then cruise it in the local area until I'm satisfied with it.

Tags
pearson