Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 13:03   #61

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: People just don't get it - a bit frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Carsten,

You hit the nail on the head. Long watches suck. I know you and Vinni can do it. I would prefer three. The solo people don't agree but damn I want someone on watch that is not getting groggy. I've found myself nodding off, not a good feeling.
Vinni is much better at the dog watch than I am. I am a morning person so getting up and standing watch for 4 to 8 is not an issue for me, but damn, midnight to 4 and I'm dragging at about 2-3 o'clock.

She doesn't seem to have a problem with it (although she's sleeping way before her head hits the pillow when she goes off watch)

Three makes things a lot easier, since you can get a full 8 hours sleep. We've begun using the swedish watch system since this gives you a full 6 hours every other day and 5 hours on the opposite days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 13:13   #62

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Lots of great comments here. Thanks, everyone.

We definitely won't be dissuaded no matter what anyone thinks, and if we can do it in less than 6 years and 3 months (but who's counting?) we will.

Our plan for health insurance is to continue on with my employer's plan until we slip the nation's boundaries. We'll get a catastrophic plan if we think we may return to the U.S., but at this point we're not planning on doing so. We don't have any kids, so there's no real need to come back. That's partially why I find posts detailing health costs to be so interesting. We figure while we're "out there" we'll take note of places that we could see ourselves living when we are unable to cruise anymore, and that's where we'll ultimately end up.

In the meantime we'll keep learning, doing our research to figure out the "big boat", and most importantly, saving.

I definitely feel like if people don't understand, that's their problem. It's just a bit frustrating on occasion to feel like a stranger in a strange land, so to speak. It's nice to have forums like this where we can feel like we're among "our peeps."

Thanks again.

Dental work overseas also very reasonable - tooth repair in the ABC's, one filling around $130, carried out by Dutch national - brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 13:43   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
I'm a bit frustrated (although I'm sure this never-ending winter isn't helping), and I just wanted to vent someplace where many people DO get it.

Thanks.

Well, if you just want some people to nod their heads without nearly enough information, it seems you've come to the right place.

The reality, though, is that you have to figure out if it makes sense or not. Do you have enough money to live comfortably -- for you? Do you have a reserve so that if something comes up, you aren't forced into some bad decisions or an uncomfortable or dependent lifestyle? Are you taking care of your responsibilities in this life to your satisfaction? Does your dad have someone to take care of him?

If the answer is yes, then you know what to do. If the answer is no, then you also no what to do.

Your life is your work of art. Don't cut any corners, but do it to the best of your ability.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 15:43   #64

Boat: Boatless

I had this EXACT conversation with two people this week. One a co-worker, the other my ex-fiancee!

Looked at a few sailboats on Saturday. Really thinking hard about doing this. Single, no kids, no house to sell. Told the Ex of my plan, and I get the "Oh! You want to buy ANOTHER boat?! Why not just get an apartment or a house like everyone else?!"

Because I'm not like everyone else!!

One of the boats I looked at is for sale for 15 grand. I could spend roughly 4 grand on an apartment that'll cost me with cable, internet, furniture, and of course rent say $1200 a month. Take that same 4 grand put down a deposit on a sailboat, and for that same 1200 a month, I have a place to live, and it's paid off in lets say 2 years. That wasn't good enough.....got the long silent pause, and then the "you're an idiot!" sigh.

Most people are of the thinking that to be happy and successful you need to be in debt up to your eyeballs, and work till your 70. Hopefully when you hit 70, your body is still movable so you can then go enjoy your "retirement"

Screw that!

I'm 48. I've learned that the people you talk to about this wild adventure are either going to accept it, or not. Most will not, and honestly that isn't your problem, it's theirs! I read a blog recently about a cruising couple that were pondering their past friendships.A good portion of the people they thought were good life long friends, they haven't spoken to in some instances years. However they'd made tons of new friends along the way. My co-worker is under the impression that you need to have a minimum of a half million in the bank to go sailing.

Like a previous poster said...It's good that not everyone "gets it" otherwise the anchorages would be packed!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 20:33   #65

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

You'll never please everyone's liking. Nothing wrong with that. You think like many independent people.
Don't get discouraged as it sounds to me a reasonable plan. You do ok by it so go forward. Don't wait.....👍

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin ...😊

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 21:55   #66

I just reread this whole thread, and am surprised at how many people met with nay sayers. I started ( coastal) cruising pretty young (25), and took off on a 2 year cruise at 27. I dont remember anyone trying to talk me out of it. I did have more than a few people question crossing an ocean in a 26 foot boat, but nobody tried to talk me out of it. I wonder if the economy being bad for the last few years has made people more conservative, and if now that it is improving, people will feel more freedom to take chances? Maybe it is just that nearing retirement age, our friends are all older and more set in their ways? The advice to stay away from the negative people may be the only answer. Something that I have written before is about cost. About ten years after my 2 year cruise in an engineless 26 foot boat, I had a 44 footer with all of the comforts, but it cost me almost as much per month to live, as it had per year in the little boat. Size and comforts eat up your savings. Electronics suck your wallet dry. I dont mean for you to go uncomfortably simple, but dont get too tied up in the fancy new doo dadds that many people on this forum think are necessary. Give it your best, and live your own life. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote