Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: "Permission to come aboard"?

Done it both ways. If working I put them off. If wanting to chat I would brign them aboard.

You can bet if I find you two at a marina I will stand there like a lost puppy till you cave in and ask me if I would like to see your boat.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34   #17
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What Vasco said!

ICW Anchorage Listing:
ICW

See also:
Anchorages along the Intracoastal Waterway by Skipper Bob
Publications | Skipper Bob Cruising Guides

Not that many between Jax and Lake Worth, and a lot of it is just too narrow. Lake Worth, of course, was wide open but we were still trying to get boat issues sorted out, and knew we were leaving the USA as soon as the weather got right. I think we made three trips to the West Marine alone, while at Lake Park. Another upside of being in the marina there was that I got to meet Nigel on Kari Bela. He went over the explorer charts with me and gave me some nice pointers on hurricane holes for the next part of the trip. Yes, PAPER explorer charts. upon which I drew large circles in pencil. With arrows showing the best way into some of them,

and Jeff, of course you would be welcome aboard. In fact, I think one of these Catalac 12's would be a perfect boat for you and your crew...It's like a Gemini on steroids. Same general layout. But I am now a firm fan of twin diesels. Despite the spankings they gave me.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

"Sorry, I'm in the midst of project 12 and don't have the time to spare."

All those folks who are polite enough to ask permission probably know that you may turn them down. They are all probably really curious of how the interior of your unusual craft looks.

A real sailor will recognize how hard a skipper is working on the boat and probably wouldn't ask except to see something they are extremely curious about.

Good luck in handling this situation. It's kind of like someone coming by your house when you are outside painting the porch and someone asking if they can come in don't you think?

kind regards,
Old 09-07-2012, 11:27   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Not that many between Jax and Lake Worth, and a lot of it is just too narrow.

Canibul,

I keep my boat in Fernandina Beach and head for Miami before crossing to the Bahamas every fall around the end of November, early December. Most, if not all the trip is done in the ICW as the weather doesn't seem to cooperate for outside sailing this time of the year.

I will skip the St. Johns River spots such as the free docks at Main. St and the Stadium.

Here are some of the anchorages I regularly use:

Fernandina Beach
Ft. George River, ICW just east of St.Johns River
Pine Island, north of St. Augustine
St. Augustine (mostly moorings now but still spots to anchor)
Palm Coast, lovely spot in the large basins inside the canals.
Daytona Beach, good spot south of Memorial Bridge
Anywhere along the Indian River, tons of spots either near towns or not,if you prefer.
Vero Beach, ok mooring field here but a good spot for marine stuff
Ft. Pierce, good spot south and east of the hi-rise bridge
Peck Lake
Lake Worth, many anchorages. Real quiet one between Flagler Memorial and Royal Park Bridges with a good free dink dock.
Lake Boca Raton
Lake Sylvia in Ft. Lauderdale
Miami, too many anchorages to list.

All the above anchorages have a fair amount of room and are at least 10 feet deep in good mud. The longest run would be between Daytona and Titusville on the Indian River, about 60 miles. I don't have my charts or log book with me so I may have forgotten an anchorage or two. These are anchorages I have used. There are others such as the two anchorages at Ponce Inlet that I never stop at as they are too close to Daytona but I've seen many anchored there.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32   #20

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

I'm gonna be the contrary SOB in this thread. If we've been visiting at the dock then clearly I'm not too busy to visit. After some pleasantries if someone wants to come aboard to continue the visit I likely say "Of course, do you drink wine or beer?"

Its a boat fer gawd's sake - what's the rush - chill out and relax. And that's always easier to do with someone to visit with.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:33   #21
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

So, any stranger that walks up to your boat and engages you in a conversation is then welcome to then come onto your boat and start drinking.

I am so totally 180 degrees opposite that it's hard to describe. I don't want strangers on the boat. I don't want to be told to chill out and relax. I don't want to "visit" with them. They intruded. Not me. I basically want them out of my life as soon as possible. I wish they hadn't spoken to me in the first place, but I hate to be downright rude. And it's not just a boat, it's my home.

I was just asking the question to find out how other people handle it.

Now I know, I'll send the nosy drunks over to your place.
Old 09-07-2012, 13:42   #22

Tell them your boat currently has a course of construction insurance policy & the insurance company explicitly voids coverage if anyone other than crew is injured onboard for the entire duration of it's transit to it's homeport. Then shrug your shoulders and say "Damn Insurance Nazis".
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:52   #23

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
So, any stranger that walks up to your boat and engages you in a conversation is then welcome to then come onto your boat and start drinking.

I am so totally 180 degrees opposite that it's hard to describe. I don't want strangers on the boat. I don't want to be told to chill out and relax. I don't want to "visit" with them. They intruded. Not me. I basically want them out of my life as soon as possible. I wish they hadn't spoken to me in the first place, but I hate to be downright rude. And it's not just a boat, it's my home.

Just tell them the name you go by on the cruisers forum, as long as you don't get asked to spell it, that should get rid of them.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul

+1!!!
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:52   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I am with Zeehag on this, i would just say NO! No reason for an explanation necessary. I would not ask a stranger if i could come aboard their boat, i may hope for an invite, but it is plain rude to ask in my opinion. Plus, if they do come on board, and you find them not to your liking, then you have to get them off again, or wait until they get bored if you are a "nice" person.

Coops.
Old 09-07-2012, 15:03   #26

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Whenever I stopped by someone else's boat, I waited for them to invite me aboard.

It's like knocking on a stranger's door and saying, "may I come in?".
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:56   #27

Boat: OEM, proportional

Please don't lie...thats what liars do. Lies breed more lies, and it is not good for you.

If you don't like the cut of their jib, refuse politely without offending. A mate in Oz summed it up perfectly.....diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell and leaving them looking forward to the trip.

If you wantonly piss off a stranger it could backfire in a multitude of ways, especially in foreign cultures.
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 18:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth
I'm gonna be the contrary SOB in this thread. If we've been visiting at the dock then clearly I'm not too busy to visit. After some pleasantries if someone wants to come aboard to continue the visit I likely say "Of course, do you drink wine or beer?"

Its a boat fer gawd's sake - what's the rush - chill out and relax. And that's always easier to do with someone to visit with.
Where is it you live again, ha ha ha

This thread is kinda interesting as a etiquette confessional. I am the social moron on our boat but the wife and daughter make up for it. I will admit my huge pet peeve since buying my first boat at 19 has been people coming on board without asking, half the time people just assumed it wasn't mine. You should always ask first and bring rum or tequila or live next to bob.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 19:21   #29

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:

That would be until you are in a real bind and need a hand I bet! I guess you are good at helping out when a hand is needed too! I would suggest a canopy around your cockpit. I hear the cruising is good south of Cape Horn about now.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 19:30   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior

That would be until you are in a real bind and need a hand I bet! I guess you are good at helping out when a hand is needed too! I would suggest a canopy around your cockpit. I hear the cruising is good south of Cape Horn about now.
That's a total non sequitor. I'm like Canibul--if I'm busy or minding my own business, don't waste my time or oxygen unless I show some interest in knowing whatever you're thinking. Life is too short to make inane small talk with people you have no interest in meeting.

BUT , if you need help with something, I'll give you all the time you need! CPR? No problem! Ride to the hospital? Parts store? Find a pet? Need a repair I'm good at? Advice about something I have expertise in? No problem!

Just don't amble down to my boat and shorten my remaining lifespan for no reason.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote