Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2020, 09:48   #1

Boat: Nordic 44
Pet peeve

Every participant of this forum that hasn't done so already needs to take a few minutes and update their profile.

Add your boat make, model and size. Add your location.

When seeking advice or posting your experience that information helps others to respond better.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 09:54   #2

Re: Pet peeve

It does help when questions are asked.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Every participant of this forum that hasn't done so already needs to take a few minutes and update their profile.

When seeking advice or posting your experience that information helps others to respond better.

Needs To?? That's quite a demand. (Maybe try rephrasing as a suggestion or request?) Very few questions require make, model, size, location or experience.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:07   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

No, thanks. Not interested in releasing private information publicly.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Because I am in business, I was not allowed to link to my business site (they wanted me to pay, which is fair, since running this costs money--I simply don't have an advertising budget). So my profile is sparse.
But isn't part of the internet's draw anonymity if desired? It's on the reader to parse advice and see whom's he will follow. It doesn't take long to read the tenor of a member's postings and see whether he's a useless know-it-all or whether he has something to say.
Old 29-05-2020, 10:29   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Any post along the lines of "where can I get this part" really should have information on location. Either in the profile or in the post.

There are all kinds of "where can I get this" posts with the responses being "McMaster-Carr", but if the poster isn't in the US that isn't a very useful response.

So, I see the OP's point. Also Chotu's to some extent. I will support the OP in requesting that anyone who posts a "where can I get x" topic include a location somehow. It may be a global economy in some respects, but in others it really isn't.

Same goes for boat help questions. Sometimes those are general, but sometimes specific to a type, style or even brand/model of boat. Not including that information (either in the profile or the post) has a lot of people spinning their wheels.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:34   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
No, thanks. Not interested in releasing private information publicly.
Wow, not asking for your name or bank balance, just the boat you sail on and your location. How is that personal information?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:38   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Putting a country in your location and generic boat info such as "60ft motorlaunch", "24ft sailboat", "40ft cat" etc, is hardly critically private information that will lead to revealing your identity. But that information helps in evaluating a posters comments.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:41   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Putting a country in your location and generic boat info such as "60ft motorlaunch", "24ft sailboat", "40ft cat" etc, is hardly critically private information that will lead to revealing your identity. But that information helps in evaluating a posters comments.

Agreed. The information doesn't have to be even remotely specific unless you want it to be, but knowing at least sorta where in the world and what general type of boat can help a lot with getting good answers.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:43   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

So add a picture. (just teasin') And yes, I agree. It makes it a lot easier to answer questions.
Old 29-05-2020, 15:25   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think having the boat and it's size makes a huge difference. We have people with 50+ ft. boats trying to answer questions from 24 footers. We have people in Europe, and the South Pacific, and SE Asia, and other places, as well as in the US, so knowing where someone is located can be very helpful.

Ann
Old 29-05-2020, 15:45   #12

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Having lived, worked and sailed in several countries, I find it useful to know a little about the country/regional perspective of someone's views. Living in New Zealand I learned how innovation and problem solving in general is based on a very strong DIY attitude. Sir Ernest Rutherford, a very accomplished Kiwi, apparently once said "we didn't have money, so we had to think".

Power vs sail also provides background info that can be helpful in understanding opinions and perspectives.

I am happy to share the requested information.