Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57   #1

Pick up near Miami

I will be cruising south Florida in January on my Lagoon 380 catamaran. A friend is flying into the Miami airport to join us on part of the trip. Does anyone have suggestions for a place (marina, beach, etc.) that he can go and meet us?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a.c.b.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Pick up near Miami

Dinner Key marina.

The rapid transit will take him to within 6 blocks. If he doesn't have too much luggage, it is an easy walk. If not, he can always take a cab. I've done this trip a few times. There are usually mooring balls available for you, and if not, there is some anchorage available.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:35   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Or for some real 'adventure' going up the Miami river (just a few bascule bridges), ask HopCar if you can tie up to his dock for an hour or so, you can provision at his store and your guest can take the rent car center shuttle and walk from there to his place.

About Us
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:54   #4

Boat: Leopard 40

We often use Crandon Park marina. It is easy to get to and usually have good fuel prices, if needed. We have guests cab over and pick them up at the fuel dock.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:14   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Dotdun idea is a good one. My store is five minutes from the airport and I've got a real nice dinghy dock. The main dock is full so I don't think we could handle the cat.
If the timing is right we might arrange to pick up your friend from the airport.
Old 12-12-2014, 17:19   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

HopCar,

How far up the river is your store? Never been up there and just wondering. We usually anchor off South Beach or sometimes in the Venetian Islands and might take a dink ride up the river to check things out.
Old 12-12-2014, 17:35   #7

I like the Dinner Key suggestion. or You could have him meet you at Bill Baggs Park by taxi. You would anchor in No Name Harbor there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 22:03   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Vasco, I'm about forty five to sixty minutes up the river. It's a real working river so there is always something interesting to see.
Go up river past the 27th Avenue Bridge. Take a left onto the Tamiami Canal. Go through the South River Drive swing bridge. We'll be on the right a little ways down.
Old 13-12-2014, 10:23   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.b.b. View Post
I will be cruising south Florida in January on my Lagoon 380 catamaran. A friend is flying into the Miami airport to join us on part of the trip. Does anyone have suggestions for a place (marina, beach, etc.) that he can go and meet us?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scotty's Landing, Coconut Grove, has or had a dingy dock with a place to drop the hook not fat out. Good food, good beer, good people. They would probably let you pick someone up at their fuel dock.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 11:37   #10
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Marbella Marina, right by Brickell Key.
Take the train at the airport, get off at Brickell station and walk east 4 blocks. You can anchor right there and use the dinghy, if I'm there or the dock gate is open you can temporary dock the cat
Old 14-12-2014, 12:23   #11

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Unquestionably the Dinner Key area. You can (1) take a slip or (2) take a mooring with hourly launch service or (3) anchor out and dinghy in. If you are fortunate enough, the Coconut Grove Sailing Club may have a guest mooring available. They have 24 hour on demand launch service. Call them on CH 78.

There is a West Marine 1 1/2 mile away, a hardware store with arguably the very best stainless steel department on the planet 1 mile away and a good supermarket and Home Depot 3/4 mile away. Plus you have Coconut Grove, which can be of interest. Miami International Airport is about 9 miles away and an easy cab ride.

But if you decide to go up the Miami River, be aware that week days the Brickell Avenue bridge opens on the half hour except no openings at 8:30AM and 5:30PM. Hail bridge tenders on CH 9 to request an opening indicating whether you are in bound or out bound. When you get to the 27th Ave bridge, you may get no response on CH9 and no opening as well. I get results by calling the bridge tender on the phone (305) 636-1799.

Enjoy your visit.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami