Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 11:57   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Piracy - Reality vs Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailBender View Post
Not true at all. CCW permit holders rarely ever stop a bad situation and in the rare instances it happens, Fox news is all over it. Many times the CCW either gets killed by escalating or an innocent bystander is killed.
eh?

Yours truly could tell incidents when himself and colleagues stopped bad situations.

I have to say: Nonsense.
Old 13-10-2015, 12:09   #212
cruiser

Quote:
Not true at all. CCW permit holders rarely ever stop a bad situation and in the rare instances it happens, Fox news is all over it. Many times the CCW either gets killed by escalating or an innocent bystander is killed.
What is "not true at all" are your assertions.

Paul
Old 13-10-2015, 12:33   #213

Quote:

That is ridiculous and not even remotely true.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Old 13-10-2015, 12:40   #214

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
This is simply not true.

Apparently, you do not understand the difference between fully automatic weapons and semi automatic weapons.

Paul
OK that is part correct, but multishell magazines ( up to 30 shells) are still allowed, as are fully automatics made before 1986.

Not that it matters much it seems as the nutters still seem to get enough bullets flying around in the air regardless
Old 13-10-2015, 13:14   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

Did you hear about the horrible mass murder at Pearl Mississippi high school a few years ago? No, that's because it didn't happen because an assistant principal with a .45 stopped it.. It didn't make much news in the national media (I guess it didnt really fit the approved narrative). I know about it because I'm from there.
Look it up. Don't take my word for it.
I did. It did happen, and it was reported...almost 20 years ago. I'm not sure why this has become a mis-reported, mis-used trope for some folks, but I've found that valid points and true anecdotes are always much more persuasive and effective tools for debate.

For the record, I support CCWs and have long had one of my own. I'm also a recreational shooter and a hunter. From my perspective, the gun control and mass shooting debates are interesting and complex topics, but they are largely irrelevant to this thread. Unless somehow Somali pirates are suspected of planning some land-based incursions onto US soil...?
Old 13-10-2015, 13:20   #216
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
OK that is part correct, but multishell magazines ( up to 30 shells) are still allowed, as are fully automatics made before 1986.

Not that it matters much it seems as the nutters still seem to get enough bullets flying around in the air regardless
One thing I have learned is that people will think whatever they want and the facts be damned. I'm outta this "conversation."

Paul
Old 13-10-2015, 13:30   #217
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

The issue, Robin, is not about being a UK patriot but of culture dilution. The UK has got it so bad these days. When you get some murerous clown ranting about murdering soldiers/policemen/people in authority etc and that they are allowed to do this - freedom of speech gone bonkers despite not being allowed to incentivize terrorism/murder etc. If a UK native did likewise they would be arrested. I took this extract off the web a few minutes ago: "Gun Murders in England, Scotland and Wales 2011/12
There were 640 Murders / Homicides in Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) in 2011/12 (10.43 per million population)
Of these 640 Murders / Homicides, 44 involved a gun or firearm as the main weapon. Gun murders in Britain in 2011/12 represent 6% of the murder cases, (0.72 gun homicides per million population)."

Perhaps good ol' blighty is not quite so peaceful as many believe.......?

Quote:
Pretty good considering a reported 293 mass shootings in the safe old USA this year so far. last night was quiet here in Florida, only one shot and then only wounded, maybe the beer or the drugs ran out or they all enlisted again instead to get their rocks off.

As for speaking arabic, maybe if Rambos had stayed at home the arabics speakers might have done so too.
Old 13-10-2015, 13:30   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
One thing I have learned is that people will think whatever they want and the facts be damned. I'm outta this "conversation."

Paul
On that we are agreed for sure. My comment re 30 shot magazines and pre 1986 automatics came after researching the gun rules for Floriduh via google and wiki, but if you think they tell the facts wrongly do please tell them.
Old 13-10-2015, 13:32   #219
cruiser

Quote:

Nope, wrong again. Fully automatic guns were never legal to own without a special federal license which is difficult and expensive to obtain.

Read the gun laws before you make ridiculous statements, you make it sound like just anyone can own a fully automatic machine gun. A little education can go a long way.

I read the Florida law, it specifically states that machine guns are illegal without the proper license. The year of manufacture does not matter. Besides... it's a Federal law.
Old 13-10-2015, 13:43   #220
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Robin, does anyone really believe (let alone read) anything in The Guardian?
It is such a politically naive newspaper and is so biased as to defy reality. The current head is an ex-BBC boss and most people know the BBC has lost a lot of its credibility for misrepresenting many issues. I accept however that the old communist regime in Russia shall likely have a subscription, or maybe that the Scott Trust is a funnel for their funding!!
Regardless, check out the UK murder figures before slamming the US.

Quote:
Old 13-10-2015, 13:48   #221
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
The issue, Robin, is not about being a UK patriot but of culture dilution. The UK has got it so bad these days. When you get some murerous clown ranting about murdering soldiers/policemen/people in authority etc and that they are allowed to do this - freedom of speech gone bonkers despite not being allowed to incentivize terrorism/murder etc. If a UK native did likewise they would be arrested. I took this extract off the web a few minutes ago: "Gun Murders in England, Scotland and Wales 2011/12
There were 640 Murders / Homicides in Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) in 2011/12 (10.43 per million population)
Of these 640 Murders / Homicides, 44 involved a gun or firearm as the main weapon. Gun murders in Britain in 2011/12 represent 6% of the murder cases, (0.72 gun homicides per million population)."

Perhaps good ol' blighty is not quite so peaceful as many believe.......?
Knives are used instead of guns. The murder victims are just as dead either way.

And poor Weavis has nothing better than his fork for protection.
Old 13-10-2015, 13:56   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Nope, wrong again. Fully automatic guns were never legal to own without a special federal license which is difficult and expensive to obtain.

Read the gun laws before you make ridiculous statements, you make it sound like just anyone can own a fully automatic machine gun. A little education can go a long way.
what I read, courtesy of Google was straight from the NRA, aka the horses mouth or should that be the other end of the beast.

Our local police chief has recently announced he is going to the UK, as part of a study group initiative to see how policing could reduce gun crime. So I guess he is wasting his time?
Old 13-10-2015, 14:02   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Knives are used instead of guns. The murder victims are just as dead either way.

And poor Weavis has nothing better than his fork for protection.

And a brain cell to use in trouble situation avoidance? .

Sailing and cruising should be to seek peace and goodwill with and not to go to war with the natives.

Now I really am getting outa here
Old 13-10-2015, 14:16   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
And a brain cell to use in trouble situation avoidance? .
:
I have?
oh

I have.

Old 13-10-2015, 14:22   #225
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Robin, I agree with your final sentiment whole heartedly. To quote Gerald Ford; "Teddy Roosevelt.....once said 'speak softly and carry a big stick'. Jimmy Carter wants to speak loudly and carry a fly swatter."
That fly swatter policy aint gonna work everwhere.

Sailing and cruising should be to seek peace and goodwill with and not to go to war with the natives.

Now I really am getting outa here[/QUOTE]
Closed Thread

Tags
piracy