Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 05:26   #196
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Not super exotic, but the bahamas is still great. I'm a bit concerned for say 5-10 years as they have a large Haitian worker class and the Bahamians are not allowing the children to go to school. When I was in Marsh Harbor in April, there were a dozen or so 5-12 year old Hatian boys playing and swimming by the dinghy dock. In 5 years, these same boys won't be so happy just swimming.
Old 20-12-2015, 19:29   #197
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Week-long assault captures Abu Sayyaf camp, claims 29 lives | The Manila Times Online

Several hundred troops were involved in a week long raid on a Abu Sayyaf stronghold. It appears not to be where the 4 hostages were held. However, it shows once the camp is located that the Philippine government will take the camp. 29 died at this camp and 14 injured.

Reports are almost 200 are guarding the 4 sailors so the death toll will likely be higher if and when the camp is raided. Likely those captured alive at this camp can lead to more arrests and more hideouts.

Merry Christmas to the 4 being held. Our thoughts and prayers are for you as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ in a few days. Further to the families of Philippine troops in this action to clean up the dirt the Muslim world tolerates or worse yet encourages.

Week-long assault captures Abu Sayyaf camp, claims 29 lives | The Manila Times Online

Note: Over 300,000 shared the above news article on their Facebook page.

If you happen to be Muslim and are a man of God and peace turn daesh members in.
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 21:22   #198
Marine Service Provider

Armed Forces of the Philippines vice-chief Maj. Gen. Romeo Tanalgo, left, hands over the reward money amounting to 5.3 million pesos ($112,000 USD) to an unidentified man who provided information that led to the capture of Abu Sayyaf sub-leader Khair Mundos during awarding ceremonies at Camp Aguinaldo military headquarters in Quezon city on Nov. 24, 2015.

That is enough money for a whole family to relocate and buy a large farm with house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0000-15E3%3APictures%2FOther%2Fafp-abu-sayyaf.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	115400  
Old 20-12-2015, 21:28   #199

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

Several hundred troops were involved in a week long raid on a Abu Sayyaf stronghold. It appears not to be where the 4 hostages were held. However, it shows once the camp is located that the Philippine government will take the camp. 29 died at this camp and 14 injured.

Reports are almost 200 are guarding the 4 sailors so the death toll will likely be higher if and when the camp is raided. Likely those captured alive at this camp can lead to more arrests and more hideouts.

Merry Christmas to the 4 being held. Our thoughts and prayers are for you as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ in a few days. Further to the families of Philippine troops in this action to clean up the dirt the Muslim world tolerates or worse yet encourages.

Note: Over 300,000 shared the above news article on their Facebook page.

If you happen to be Muslim and are a man of God and peace turn daesh members in.
Thanks for the updates. Glad to see the Phillipines government is finally trying to get a handle on this… unfortunately I think it likely far from th eend, but AS should not be seen to be able to act with impunity.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:36   #200

Boat: Freydis 49

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/122077/9-dead-as-troops-clash-with-abu-sayyaf-faction-holding-samal-hostages

Looks like the Philippines forces are finally doing something , let's hope that our friends are freed soon .
Pacey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 05:07   #201
Marine Service Provider

News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! December 31, 2015

Government forces had been carefully tracking down the group that abducted the three foreign sailors and one Filipina last September

Manila: Government soldiers tracking down an armed group that abducted three foreigners and a Filipina last September clashed with their quarry on Wednesday, leaving 10 militants and a young army officer dead.
Reports reaching Manila said a battalion of elite army Scout Rangers were pursuing some Abu Sayyaf bandits, under the leadership of Hajan Sawadjaan, in Sulu’s Patikul town when the encounter happened. Ronald Detalla, a young lieutenant, was among the casualties.
Col. Harold Cabunoc, recently appointed the Armed Forces of the Philippines public affairs chief, told Gulf News : “Lt. Col. Eugenio ‘Gene’ Boquio, the Commander of the 1st Scout Ranger Battalion, which has operational control of the 2nd Scout Ranger Company, said that his unit tracked and engaged about 300-strong bandits in Sangay sub village, Buhanginan, Patikul, Sulu at about 4.15pm.”
What resulted was a running gun battle — Abu Sayyaf members tried to outflank and encircle Bocquio’s battalion while laying down small arms fire and grenade launcher rounds. At around 5.25pm, the militant fighters fled.

2nd article
uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0UE07320151231?irpc=932

U.S.-trained commandos in Philippines kill 10 militants - army
Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28am GMT
MANILA (Reuters) - U.S.-trained army commandos in the Philippines killed 10 al Qaeda-linked militants in a clash on a southern island, a military spokesman said on Thursday, as security forces intensify a search for foreign hostages.
Old 31-12-2015, 06:31   #202

It's not too safe to sail there... But my knowledge comes just from movies. I would be afraid to go there.
EmilyClar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 00:55   #203
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Consider the fact that one has to evaluate the liveboard circumstances, location, religion of atea, political tensions, geography (to be able to nake urgent getaway) before answering question which is your country of origin. I used to ve honest about it now....
Of course it is very important to be informed who your country of origin has bombed, not why, to survive cruising in certain cruising areas where one used to be secure. Ie what nationality you shouldn't claim when visiting Comoris? It is Islamic ruled cou try, who knows if they are Suni or Shiites?
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:45   #204
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Goosebumps, trust you had a good break? We must try and hook up one of these days.
I would agree with you.
Mayotte, which is the same group of islands is very welcoming but as you know is not part of the Islamic sector of the islands. We thoroughly enjoy the island and it has some superb anchorages, all protected by the coral reefs. The main anchorage (usually heaving) is at Dzaoudzi and you take the ferry to Mamoudzou for shopping, etc.

The main following in the Islamic islands is Sunni. The three main islands of the Islamic sector: Anjouan - never experienced anything besides a reasonable friendly attitude. The reprovisioning is not particularly good and refueling is challenging.
Moheli, is similar to Anjouan - with even less supplies and very awkward for any type of fuel.
Grand Comore - where to start! The main entry port is Moroni, but we have anchored at Mitsamiouli (the same place that the hijacked 737 crashed into the sea back in the late 90's) which dries out at low water.
Moroni - basically, the harbour master is a total crook and often charges huge fees that are illegal - but he is the resident authority there. This might have changed as we refuse to go back there since he last tried his rip off tactic on us that ended in quite a dispute. We radio'ed him directly (it may still be the same situation?) that we wished to enter Grand Comore at Moroni. Knowing, and having previous experience of his reputation, we suggested anchoring outside the harbour but he openly stated, on the VHF, that no harbour fee would be charged if we entered and cleared in and then left the harbour to anchor elsewhere. As soon as we tied up he bounded on board and demanded US$2,500 for the privilege of entering his harbour. He was pretty abusive about us and critical of us not being of his faith. Even the fishermen were arguing with him as they had also heard the radio conversation. He was adamant that if we did not pay he would have our boat impounded and that the police chief was a relative who would support him. He refused to get out of our cockpit / leave our boat until he was paid unless he kept our passports. This is not a nice position to be in.
We decided to leave before the situation escalated further and left the harbour with him on our boat and not checked in. The local fisherman thought the situation hilarious are were shouting at us to not bring him back. We invited him to leave our our boat 50 meters off a nice sandy beach in calm waters which he did with some reluctance. He actually swam very well.

Naturally, we do not return to Grand Comore as we feel that if he is still the Harbour Master that we shall not receive the warmest welcome, despite that we have changed boats. However, we do frequent Mayotte where that Harbour Master is well known amongst the yotties there - we were minor celebrities for a little while there and the French government meteorologist actually came and congratulated us.
I will say that the drying anchorage at the north of the island (Mitsamiouli) is beautiful but can get very busy with the local hotels sharing the beach. Potable water can also be had from the hotels - from their dive shop centre- free of charge. Personally, we favour Mayotte. There are also fair medical facilities on Mayotte and a French dentist that is very cheap - free if you have an EU passport.....and the bread! Typical French offerings that have you salivating.
In all our years of sailing he is only one of a couple of truly crooked officials that we have come across that could really ruin your day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Consider the fact that one has to evaluate the liveboard circumstances, location, religion of atea, political tensions, geography (to be able to nake urgent getaway) before answering question which is your country of origin. I used to ve honest about it now....
Of course it is very important to be informed who your country of origin has bombed, not why, to survive cruising in certain cruising areas where one used to be secure. Ie what nationality you shouldn't claim when visiting Comoris? It is Islamic ruled cou try, who knows if they are Suni or Shiites?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47   #205
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Hi Bulawayo greetings of the season for you and all participating here. Good to hear how you dealt with that corrupt official. We all have moments dumping some of these overboatd and you actually did it and git away with it! My dog can be so agressive if I want him to be that officiaks dont try and do sit in until paid! Yes be great to meet one day!
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 21:15   #206
Marine Service Provider

Manila newspaper indicates John Ridsel, 60, Canadian is ill and having to be carried from camp to camp as Abu Sayyaf keeps on the move trying to stay ahead of the army.

Apparently, locals are turning in evidence and location to get reward monies.

Lets hope 2016 is a good year, this hostage thing ends soon, the hostages are released unharmed with no payment, and everyone of these kidnappers is jailed soon.

Senior Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon carries a reward of up to $5 million from the US Rewards for Justice Program . He was indicted in the District of Columbia for “terrorist acts against United States nationals and other foreign nationals.” The FBI says he was “the deputy or second in command for the foreign terrorist organization,
Old 10-01-2016, 21:18   #207

Boat: Catalina 470

Thanks for the update pbmaise.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 23:10   #208

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

5 million! Better than robbing a bank by a long way. There would have to be bounty hunters active here surely. I would be very worried if I were the object involved

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 04:49   #209

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Just bouncing this issue ...
Does anyone have some new information ....?

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:10   #210
Marine Service Provider

Zven,
I read your request and update local reports as follows:

#1 Eight battalions have now been assigned to capture an estimated 200 Sulu-based Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) members and free captured hostages. According to Wikipedia a battalion is 300-800 troops.

#2 This large surge in troop forces came after some talk in Manila to wipe out ASG before the end of the curent term of the now Philippine president.

#3 There was a story of several ASG members who decided to stop being active and report to authorities.

#4 A few stories of a handful of captures.

#5 Concerns that ASG is planning to conduct bombings.

#6 I noticed an obvious increase in security forces in Palawan Philippines. They were doing checks along the highway and checking people going to places like the mall.

#7 There were many press reports that ASG is largely the blame for delay to implement more autonomy to Jolo area. So the group supposedly fighting for more autonomy is blamed for hindering it.

#8 Two editorials questioned the roll of the United States when offering large sums of money for terrorists. Writers seemed to be concerned these rewards frequently were large for henchmen but small for the higherup pointmen. Rewards encouraged the troops to take out named individuals and deliver them in anyway possible, i.e. dead, instead of alive where they would face prosecution.
One writer was concerned of risks taken to capture a named individual. I kept trying to read between the lines if they wanted rewards to stop despite fact they admitted that they helped generate leads.

#9 It is just a hunch, but it is my guess Canada and Norway have funded the transfer of these troops associated with recent buildup. What I cant believe is that high powered satellite views have not found the location of this many troops hiding in the woods. I thought they could read the numbers on a mailbox.

#10 Obviously Canada, Norway, or the families have not paid the multimillion $ ransom requests. Perhaps just perhaps the message is getting out that paying a ransom is only shifting the violence from the current hostage onto the local population and future hostages. God help the current hostages and I hope they remain strong and survive this long nightmare.