Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59   #421

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48
Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Piracy is just another wealth earning method.
No it isn't!
Piracy and especially kidnapping is illegal, immoral, and despicable.
I would also think it has rather little with earning to do.
Stealing, maybe. Earning, no.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:01   #422

Quote:
Then stay home. You leave the borders of the supposed safety of the U.S. you take your chances.
I think this issue has nothing to do with the U.S.
Besides, I have heard it is not particularly safe there.
Not that I have ever been, or wish to visit.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:23   #423
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Philippine militants killed two Canadian hostages (Ridsdel and Hall). The victims’ families wonder why our government couldn’t do more to stop it.
Kept in the dark
Thanks Gord for that Link.

I knew the 2 Canadians killed and my heart goes out to their families.

What is telling is how little the Canadian Government did to help their citizens.... No pressure on the Philippines to mount a rescue or intervention..

Canada did nothing!

By comparison, Norway put pressure on the Philippines to save their citizen and when Duterte intervened, the price went from $6 million to $600k and he was freed.

Taking the high road, "we don't negotiate with terrorist" is an arrogant, ******** statement..

Canadian government negotiates all the time when it is in their own political interest with whomever is on the other side.

Obviously never from a position of strength, since they are perceived by the World as a weak nation, whose commitment to fighting terrorism varies based on the mood of their apathetic leadership.

I agree, when you sail outside your home waters you are basically on your own.....but it is good to know whether your Government, whom you have supported and have a moral contract with
......has your back.

In this case and in most cases Canada fails miserably.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:53   #424

Boat: I don't have a boat yet. Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
No it isn't!
“There’s got to be something other than being a fisherman and kidnapping people,” protests Captain Phillips upon being told by his captor that he took up piracy because it paid better than fishing.
“Maybe in America,” comes the abrupt reply.
Like most of the rest of Captain Phillips, which recreates the true story of the 2009 hijacking of the Maersk Alabama and its 20 US crew, this has the ring of authenticity.
Somalia has been the textbook definition of a failed state ever since lapsing into an intractable clan-based civil war in 1991 – events recreated in Hollywood’s previous excursion to Somalia, Black Hawk Down. With no government and next to no industry, Somalia has raised an entire generation to believe that violence is the rule in life, not the exception.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:57   #425

Boat: I don't have a boat yet. Shopping

Quote:
I think this issue has nothing to do with the U.S.
Besides, I have heard it is not particularly safe there.
Not that I have ever been, or wish to visit.
No your right the U.S. is not particularly safe. As I said, "The supposed safety of the U.S."

I live in New Orleans. New Orleans Named 4th Most Dangerous American City, Now More Dangerous Than Cities In Mexico And Brazil.
https://thehayride.com/2016/01/new-o...-south-africa/
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:22   #426

The reason barbaric pirating (being the pirates kill their captors if they don't get all the shekels they demand) have always engaged in their has been an economic one. Steal a boat, get a handful of recidivists, and plunder.

In the past, pirates were hung en masse. Was very effective in curtailing pirating.

Hanging was done away with in most "civilized" countries as being barbaric.

Somali pirating was dealt with by Coasties and Navy's 50 cal automatic weapons (and many Barrett's too).

So, the moral of this story is, spare the "barbaric" remedies and what you get is a lot of barbaric pirates kidnapping and killing (because it pays and the risk is nil).

Here endith the lesson.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:57   #427

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Somalia has raised an entire generation to believe that violence is the rule in life, not the exception.
Violence had been the rule in life, throughout all of human history, with very rare exceptions.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:24   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Violence had been the rule in life, throughout all of human history, with very rare exceptions.
Going a bit off topic here, but...
]Of the many cave paintings of the Upper Paleolithic, none depict people attacking other people. The only rock art that depicts violence between hunter-gatherers comes from a unique Northern Australian sequence that began approximately 10,000 years ago. Skeletal and artifactual evidence of intergroup violence between Paleolithic nomadic foragers is absent as well.... (Wikipedia)
Everything changed after the invention of agriculture.
Old 04-12-2016, 13:33   #429

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Going a bit off topic here, but...
]Of the many cave paintings of the Upper Paleolithic, none depict people attacking other people. The only rock art that depicts violence between hunter-gatherers comes from a unique Northern Australian sequence that began approximately 10,000 years ago. Skeletal and artifactual evidence of intergroup violence between Paleolithic nomadic foragers is absent as well.... (Wikipedia)
Everything changed after the invention of agriculture.
Jebel Sahaba
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:34   #430

Quote:
No it isn't!
Exactly. It's easy to be cavalier about such topics if your not "under the gun" living a few miles from where some folks are cutting off the heads of other folks.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:00   #431

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
It simply means that when denying people a means of earning wealth legally exists long enough or when enough barriers or lack of opportunity arise people will always find other ways of generating income. Legal or illegal.
Piracy is just another wealth earning method.
You add the amount of dispossessed people to the whatever % of people that would do it regardless of the economic situation.
That is not true, as far as I know. In fact it is in my opinion, a simplistic explaination that denies the cultural influence, in social behavior. And it is so 'capitalistic' view of the world. In fact in most countries even poor, honesty is the rule. I traveled and worked in the Philippines Islands and I can say that the Filippinos are hard working, gentle, religious(Christians mostly) persons. But like every region where integrism driven by Saudi Arabia Wahabism form of radical Islam(Call it fascism), this violence prevail(Southern Islands of the Philippines). 'unbelievers' are viewed as heretics that can be maimed, kiledl, or abused without any moral limit...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:23   #432

Good Point - Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor
Pasted directly from the internet, so we know validity is suspect at best... But food for thought...

How many of these Muslims are "Jihadis?"

This is a tricky question. See also "Moderate" Muslim.

Estimates average around 7% of the worlds Islamic population are engaged in some active form of terror activity, in some sort of active support, planning or implementing mode. 7% seems like a relatively small proportion. However, assuming a moderate estimate of 1.5 billion Muslims, even 5% would be what?

5% of 1.5 billion = "only" 75 million (75,000,000) are actively involved in some phase of violent Jihad.

Surveys have shown that an average of 25% of the Islamic population supports or condone some form of violent jihad. And these are just the ones who admit to it.

25% of 1.5 billion = "only" 375 million (375,000,000)

Has anyone done a survey to see how many 'Blanco's' were/are actively involved in creating these hatreds..???
Seeing as the 'Jihadi' movement did not exist as such pre-70's.. we only had the PLO..
Good point on the "Blancos." Plus, the PLO were not in the habit of decapitating people. When I taught in Saudi, my best students were Palestinians. My worst, were the Saudis themselves, and we know what they were responsible for.

Good post,

G2l

G2L
Old 10-12-2016, 05:36   #433

Suppose Your Home IS Your Boat - Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny how cruisers think everything revolves around their safety and where they want to travel to risk free in the world.. 'I pay my taxes.. where's the Marines..??'
Grow Up folks.. its all part of life's rich tapestry.. mozzies, sharks, jellies, pirates, blah blah blah..
Or.. stay at home.
Hi Boatman,

Whatever happened to "Safety First", which, no doubt you and all responsible cruisers have always considered their "first rule of law?"

Also ... Suppose your home IS your boat, and suppose you have professional or family commitments that don't allow you to move to "safer" areas, as might be the case with guys like Zven, in Cebu, where the ASG has recently threatened abductions further to the north of their "normal range".

Furthermore, in your post above, you forgot to mention "typhoons", but that is understandable, I guess, since they don't usually occur in the Med : ) Just a friendly poke to the ribs : )

Lastly, thanks for all your good advice in the past; no sarcasm intended.

G2L
Old 10-12-2016, 05:50   #434
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Suppose Your Home IS Your Boat - Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

[QUOTE=Gone2long;2276849]Hi Boatman,

Whatever happened to "Safety First", which, no doubt you and all responsible cruisers have always considered their "first rule of law?"

Also ... Suppose your home IS your boat, and suppose you have professional or family commitments that don't allow you to move to "safer" areas, as might be the case with guys like Zven, in Cebu, where the ASG has recently threatened abductions further to the north of their "normal range".

Furthermore, in your post above, you forgot to mention "typhoons", but that is understandable, I guess, since they don't usually occur in the Med : ) Just a friendly poke to the ribs : )

Lastly, thanks for all your good advice in the past; no sarcasm intended.

G2L[/QUOTE
All things are 'manageable'..
One can either quit the job and move.. or.. as my old man did in the India/Pakistan conflict that resulted in Bangladesh.. move the family to a place of safety till a better time.
In his case it did not happen and he had to revert to his 'Chindit' skills to get out after E Pakistan fell..
As for weather.. that's world wide so is a voluntary risk of nature not man.. and I've not lived in the Med since the 90's..
As for my posts.. my pleasure folks..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:37   #435

Re: Suppose Your Home IS Your Boat - Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

G2L[/QUOTE

As for my posts.. my pleasure folks..
[/QUOTE]

No mate, the pleasure is ours. Always interesting, often useful, and somtimes fascinating insights.

G2L