Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 01:47   #1

plan for lift pump for bleeding diesel engine

Tired of using small manual inadequate lever to bleed Kubota engine.

Would appreciate diagram and parts recommendation to install an electric fuel pump to bleed engine.

Thanks

Jim
xxhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 02:28   #2

Boat: Oram 39C 39.98 m
Re: plan for lift pump for bleeding diesel engine

IMO you can just about use any diesel pump. I am assuming its only 30hp or so. Fuel will flow past even if its not on.
We had one of these on a 250 hp cummins to save bleeding.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solid-Quality-12V-DC-Solar-Hot-Water-Circulation-Pump-Food-Grade-3M-Head-8L-Min/272995891942?epid=15012024696&hash=item3f8fd2bae6: g:brkAAOSwUWtb-5FO:rk:2f:1&frcectupt=true

I have used one of these on an old car when the injector pump needed a bit of a hand.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Petr...ery!4179!AU!-1
moreton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 03:11   #3

I have an outboard fuel bulb on a piece of hose, one end goes into a spare diesel container, the other via a tap into the spare inlet on a CAV filter.

Never have to use the fuel pump to bleed, store it in tough plastic bag when not in use.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 04:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have a lift pump and would not own a boat without one.

To add one is easy- what I see as the steps follow:
  1. Find a location along the fuel line route between the Racor and the engin where you can place the pump. If there is not a handy location ON the route, look at how you can reasonably reroute the supply line.
  2. Determine how much hose and wire you will need. Wire needs to go from the ignition to the pump.
  3. Now cut a small piece of the hose to take with you to the autopart store.
  4. Go to a GOOD auto parts store and look for someone who knows his business. Ask for a diesel lift pump. It will cost more, but you will get a diesel pump that is likely to last.
  5. Before leaving open the pump and see what fittings are included. Usually, there are female threads on the inlet and outlet.
  6. Purchase appropriate fittings to go from the pump, to the piece of hose you cut off.
  7. Purchase the hose and hose clamps at the auto parts store.
  8. Go to a MARINE supply location and purchased some tinned wire to go from the ignition to the pump.
  9. Put is all together---- note my repalcement pump was designed to get its' ground from the mounting bolts , so some field mod may be needed.

Hope this answers your question.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 05:10   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
I have an outboard fuel bulb on a piece of hose, one end goes into a spare diesel container, the other via a tap into the spare inlet on a CAV filter.

Never have to use the fuel pump to bleed, store it in tough plastic bag when not in use.
Standard fit on Peugeot diesel cars for a while in the 1990s to early 2000s.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 08:25   #6

Boat: One-off ketch by F. Sergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I have a lift pump and would not own a boat without one.

To add one is easy- what I see as the steps follow:
  1. Find a location along the fuel line route between the Racor and the engin where you can place the pump. If there is not a handy location ON the route, look at how you can reasonably reroute the supply line.
  2. Determine how much hose and wire you will need. Wire needs to go from the ignition to the pump.
  3. Now cut a small piece of the hose to take with you to the autopart store.
  4. Go to a GOOD auto parts store and look for someone who knows his business. Ask for a diesel lift pump. It will cost more, but you will get a diesel pump that is likely to last.
  5. Before leaving open the pump and see what fittings are included. Usually, there are female threads on the inlet and outlet.
  6. Purchase appropriate fittings to go from the pump, to the piece of hose you cut off.
  7. Purchase the hose and hose clamps at the auto parts store.
  8. Go to a MARINE supply location and purchased some tinned wire to go from the ignition to the pump.
  9. Put is all together---- note my repalcement pump was designed to get its' ground from the mounting bolts , so some field mod may be needed.

Hope this answers your question.
...from ignition..? why not from battery or a 12 Vdc socket for appliances ?
albatrosbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 08:38   #7

I just used a NAPA electric in line between the tank and engine lift pump. I was going to use two 3 way valves to bypass the electric pump when not bleeding, but it worked fine so I left it.
I would do it with the valves though probably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bleedpump.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	184402  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 08:43   #8
rbk

Boat: T37

Look for a solid state fuel pump, easy and cheap. Facet makes a good one, Holley used to but I've heard they've become less reliable OR cheap knockoffs are making their rounds.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...SABEgLoW_D_BwE

Wire direct off the panel to your chosen location and put in fuel line. If you want to get fancy with it, install an on/off toggle, button etc close to your engine, fuel flows free when not in use. Note that these SS pumps are loud when operating, which isn't a bad thing really.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 08:53   #9
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhat View Post
Tired of using small manual inadequate lever to bleed Kubota engine.

Would appreciate diagram and parts recommendation to install an electric fuel pump to bleed engine.

Thanks

Jim
I also use an outboard fuel bulb in the line between the tank and Racor filter. Its much easier to use than the engine pump and obviously located in a handier place to get to. After changing either the primary or secondary fuel filter just pump the bulb until you get fuel pressure drip and tighten the locking nut. As it is a manual pump you don't need power either. Keep it simple.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:02   #10

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I just used a NAPA electric in line between the tank and engine lift pump. I was going to use two 3 way valves to bypass the electric pump when not bleeding, but it worked fine so I left it.
^^^^ This is what I did. Install it close to the fuel tank (or tank selector valve) and definitely install it before your Racor filter. That way you can use it to also fill the Racor after a filter change. Put it on a toggle switch to run it when needed - fuel will flow through it when it's not running.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:09   #11

An electric fuel pump like the Airtex E8012S can be easily installed in the fuel line between the Racor and the engine, It is a flow thru pump that won't affect fuel flow when off, Makes bleeding the system simple, can also be used to run the engine if the lift pumps fails. You can also install a Y fitting with valves between the electric fuel pump and engine so you can redirect the fuel back to the tank via the fuel return line, this will circulate fuel thru the Racor, sort of a poor mans fuel polisher.
Bill Seifort's book "Offshore Sailing 200 passagemaking tips" describes this and many other easily made improvements, an excellent book.
bharney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:18   #12
rbk

Boat: T37

Excellent fuel bulb example, 7th one down:

https://marinehowto.com/hall-of-fail/

If you use these make sure they cannot siphon off the tank.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:46   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

I have been using a squeeze bulb for at least a decade now. Never had a split, just lucky I guess. It is located right before the Racor 500 filter.

It is also above the level of the fuel tank and if it were to split only the fuel in the bulb would leak out, not the whole tank. There could not be a siphon because other than the top of the Racor there is nothing higher than the bulb in the system.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:50   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosbis View Post
...from ignition..? why not from battery or a 12 Vdc socket for appliances ?

The pump should only run when the ignition is on. This makes it idiot resistant—- Trust me, I tested it.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 10:25   #15

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I removed the mechanical pump- no risk of a bad diaphragm putting fuel into crankcase- and installed a auto parts store fuel pump. Blocked off the crankcase hole with an aluminum plate. I have it wired with a three way switch. Off, on direct to battery when ignition is off, on with ignition. Fuel pump is recommended to be installed AFTER Racor. I minimize the number of joints and connections to minimize risk of air leaks. One hose from tank pickup to shutoff valve mounted direct on Racor, one hose to pump, one to secondary filter on engine.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, lift, pump