Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2008, 06:18   #1

Boat: Currenty a 2011 26' Sailfish CC
Planning Ahead

Hello everyone, I have been browsing this forum for years and have posted rarely. But I think it's about time to speak up . I would love to get some opinions of those more experienced than myself...

I have been sailing most of my life and have wanted to travel extensively via sailboat for 5 years, and have thought of it everyday since its inception. I am recently married as of December and have convinced my wife that the normal 9-5 life is (in our very humble opinions) a waste of our time on earth. However we are realistic and sensible (again in our opinion) and have come up with a time table to cast off in 10-15 years. This allows us to accumulate enough experience and money to not have to worry about working again.

We have decided we would like a catamaran roughly 45-50 feet and completely self-sufficient.

We have thought and planned for some time now and have come up with a savings plan and budget to get to our goals. W/out getting into details I'd like some opinions on the following:

We will have apx. $50,000-$75,000 per year for expenses, I realize with inflation and so forth this will equate to a different number, but is it (w/in reason) realistic? Taking into consideration our cruising grounds will initially be the Caribe, then moving east quickly through the Med, across the Indian Ocean and then spending as much time as possible in the S. Pacific. This of course may change dramatically, but this is our plan so far. We have no desire for slips unless leaving the boat to travel home. Do you think that amount is sufficient for upkeep of a boat of that type and size?

Does anyone that as actually been there think that a 45-50 foot cat is too big for those cruising grounds? I.E. finding slips when needed, beaching the cat if necessary, hauling it out, etc.

We plan on funding the Kitty w/ interest only income coupled with rental properties (perhaps).

We both have 401(k)'s and Roth IRA's which we fund faithfully, this would give us flexibility when we're older.

I realize 10-15 years is a long way off and a lot could change in the world. But please try to keep the answers based roughly on what the world is like today w/out conjecture of what the future will bring.

Thanks!!
vera libertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 06:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnock
... We will have apx. $50,000-$75,000 per year for expenses, I realize with inflation and so forth this will equate to a different number, but is it (w/in reason) realistic ...
Absolutely, unless you are crazy spenders.
Most cruisers would consider such a sum “very comfortable to luxurious".

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 16:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I agree totally with Gord. The big expenses as you get older might be healthcare but Asia is a great spot for reasonable health care.

$75k (maybe adjusted for inflation) is absolute luxury...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 16:49   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
$$ sounds Ok but it is alot easier to go downwind around the world. Carrib, South Pacific, Asia, Med.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 22:37   #5

Boat: Currenty a 2011 26' Sailfish CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Absolutely, unless you are crazy spenders.
Most cruisers would consider such a sum “very comfortable to luxurious".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The big expenses as you get older might be healthcare but Asia is a great spot for reasonable health care.

$75k (maybe adjusted for inflation) is absolute luxury...
Gord/Excalif
Fortunately my wife and I are both more than a little frugal, it's very relieving to hear you both agree with our estimates.

I hear you on health care and will certainly have to put that into our budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
$$ sounds Ok but it is alot easier to go downwind around the world. Carrib, South Pacific, Asia, Med.
While I completely agree with you, our thinking is that our ultimate destination is the S. Pacific and if we go west to east we'd be saving the best for last. Both of us have either traveled, worked, or lived in Europe, the Middle East, and Northern Asia. So we have no great burning desire to head there again in the near future. However I'm sure we'll head through there at some point to complete "the Big Fat Circle". As I said in my original post, things may very well change.

That said a very positive thing about heading in the normal trade wind routes other than the wind, which tends to be the driving force behind this type of travel (pun intended), is it would allow us to meet and travel with many other cruisers. Giving a more pleasant social aspect, as well as being ultimately safer.

Thanks for the great replies!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

- mark twain
vera libertas is offline   Reply With Quote