Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 04:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
Planning my Adventure

I am going to buy a Cat or a mono from somewhere in the world cheaper than Australia then spend 2-3 years bringing it home. The type of boat depends on the budget and what is available. My preference is for a Cat purely for lifestyle reasons but I am not close minded to a Monohull - I race one weekly.

Don't need to make a profit on the deal but every dollar I save on the price will go towards our adventure.

I met an older fella in the Whitsundays who had bought a nice Beneteau in Croatia then spent four years sailing it home. Enjoyed his stories over a beer or two each afternoon and helped him with some jobs and in return he let me sleep aboard in the Marina saving me from a noisy backpacker hostel.

Seems I have a bit to learn about the legalities of the whole importing deal but I figure thats where you guys come into the equation.

I have it scheduled for 2012 and in the meantime am doing as much sailing as I can and looking for courses. I was an Army Officer which I hope will help me somewhat as I guess I picked up a couple of useful skills along the way.

Luckily my saucy girlfriend is 100% on board with the idea which I know is a hurdle for some. My ex wife used to get cross whenever our trailer sailer heeled enough for her to have to take a hold of a handrail - she hated not being in control of everything around her.

I am also volunteering for coastal and Pacific deliveries as a crew member. Irecently helped on one from NQld to Newcastle on the East Coast of Australia which was about 6-7 days sail and I found it quite exhilarating in some aspects. The skipper was very positive about how well I performed and fitted in with the other crewmembers. Teamwork is certainly not my weak area.

Am buying books, talking to old blokes down the club and everything else I can think of.

Any further advice?

Anyone in this neck of the woods need a crewmember or two? I have retired from the Army, am 45 and fit as a mallee bull.

Thanks for everything I have read so far - will be in here a lot during the next 18 months I think!

Simon
Kordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:03   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
A member here, MarkJ, has done just what you propose. He's off sailing the world now. He bought his boat in St. Maarten, Sailed her home, and is continuing his adventure right now.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:18   #3

Boat: Lagoon Cat 421 "Happy Cat"
We are doing what your thinking of. HAPPY cat sails
PM us if you think we can help.
James Joll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:23   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Welcome to the forum, Simon. There have been a number of threads in the past regarding importing boats to Australia. Give the on-site search engine a spin and you'll find that you're not alone in your quest.