Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 07:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
Planning to sail from NY to Miami fall 2002 - advice please

Hi Forum,

I'm planning to take our boat from Lake Ontario through the Erie canal before it closes in the fall and make my way on the outside from NYC down to Miami after the hurricane ends (hopefully by Nov 1st). I would appreciate any advice where to park the boat in October in the Hudson River that won't drain the pocketbook too much.

I tried searching the forum with out success (probably my poor searching skills) to see what are the best routes south. IE hung the shore - 3 mile line, get close to the golf stream to take advantage of the eddies, straight line it as much as possible while avoiding the golf stream, etc

Any feedback is appreciated

Cheers
Wayne
Courageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 08:38   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Planning to sail from NY to Miami fall 2002 - advice please

If you're planning to visit the Chesapeake on the way down, I'd continue from NY to the Chesapeake and park there in October.

If you're staying on the boat you can anchor in the Hudson River near NYC, but I don't enjoy that much. Fast currents, lots of traffic, too much debris and shore-side noise.

If you don't mind going a bit out of your way, Port Washington, NY is a lovely place near the western end of Long Island Sound. Moorings are $25/day, with launch service included. It does require rounding the Battery and going north up the East River, but that is an interesting trip through NYC.

Otherwise, searching Google for Hudson River Marinas turns up a few possibilities. You would probably want to contact them because they might be flexible about pricing in October as most local boats are done for the season. The further up the Hudson, I'd expect the rates to be lower.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 08:52   #3

Boat: Dufour 29

We live in Catskill, NY, where people tend to get their masts stepped after coming through the low bridges to the north. We sail through the end of October and sometimes into November, but the marinas here often start pulling boats out in early October for the winter. Maybe you could strike a deal for a month or so because there is a lot of space in the water at that time before the docks themselves get pulled. Nice sailing in the fall along the river.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 09:29   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

If you figure out how to sail in fall 2002 let me know. That was a great year for sailing.
Old 19-04-2022, 09:42   #5

Look at marinas in Haverstraw or Verplanck or the Nyack Yacht Club
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 10:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
If you figure out how to sail in fall 2002 let me know. That was a great year for sailing.
Thanks - 2022 it is
Old 19-04-2022, 12:27   #7

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

agree with pjShap, Port Washington has a very protected harbor, moorings, marinas, anchorage space and shopping (including boating) supplies within walking distance. I think with your boat (aircraft?) you have a choice of the route you mentioned or going into the ditch....some of us have to stay outside but its really not a big deal.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 12:46   #8

Think about Atlantic Highlands, NJ, that is our favourite spot at the south shore of Raritan Bay. Long breakwall and you can get a mooring or a slip or anchor at the end of the mooring field and dinghy in to a dedicated dock near the boat launch. All facilities, grocery, laundry, restaurants, etc. easily walkable, plus ferryboats to NYC if you want.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 12:56   #9

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Having made the trip dozens of times I’m going along with PJShap in recommending going further south. Cheaper dockage in the Chesapeake and you avoid the chance of getting weathered in further north. You don’t say what size boat or whether you plan the entire trip offshore or in the ICW. It’s all about the weather in the fall.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 13:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Having made the trip dozens of times I’m going along with PJShap in recommending going further south. Cheaper dockage in the Chesapeake and you avoid the chance of getting weathered in further north. You don’t say what size boat or whether you plan the entire trip offshore or in the ICW. It’s all about the weather in the fall.
We have a Catalina 42. We made the trip once before and went through the C&D canal to Annapolis (where we got caught up in hurricane Sandy - luckily everything worked out for us). We travelled the ICW which we found too long. This time we are hoping to stay outside all the way down to Florida.
Old 19-04-2022, 13:58   #11

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

***What Tingum said!
More anchorages in the Chesapeake than anywhere you’re going. Come down, hang out, head to Norfolk and join the party that heads out and goes to Florida!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 14:25   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
Think about Atlantic Highlands, NJ, that is our favourite spot at the south shore of Raritan Bay. Long breakwall and you can get a mooring or a slip or anchor at the end of the mooring field and dinghy in to a dedicated dock near the boat launch. All facilities, grocery, laundry, restaurants, etc. easily walkable, plus ferryboats to NYC if you want.
Excellent choice,- 'our favorite too!
Old 19-04-2022, 14:59   #13

Unless you have a strong reason to not move south of NYC before Nov 1, it will be more comfortable heading further south in Oct. Yes watch the weather (ie hurricane/tropical storm) , the temps can be in the 30's or colder at least down to Norfolk by late Oct. at night.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 15:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

And I’m wondering where you find “golf” balls out in the ocean [emoji3]
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 16:25   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

Two FYI's:

1. Technically, the hurricane season ends November 30, not November 1. Although November hurricanes are not very common Hurricane Eta a couple of years ago was a Cat 4 and she formed in November.

2. The distance from New York to Miami is about the same as sailing from New York to Bermuda and 1/2 way back to NY again. IOW that's quite a passage. Hope you have the crew and the sailing/provisioning/passage-making wherewithal to pull that off.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, lease, miami, sail