Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 18:48   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was thinking the other day that any plastic container ought to have at least a 10c deposit on it. Remember as a kid saving soda pop bottles so that we could get something at the store?
The only real way to change peoples behavior is to make them pay for their behavior. You will continue to see full size pickups and SUVs as long as gas is relatively cheap, if gas were $6 a gl, then you would see behavioral changes.
We won’t get rid of excess plastic waste until it cost the average consumer, if paper were cheaper, you would see paper used. I’d love to see plastic bags at the stores cost $1 ea., then you would see reusable cloth bags or other reusable solutions.
We now use cloth bags we got off of Amazon, we used to shop at the Military Commissary and got old fashioned paper bags, but now often go to Walmart, and all those little plastic bags are excessively wasteful. I just couldn’t do it anymore.
Here in the Seychelles gas is approx $7/gallon,no big cars. You can't get plastic bags at the supermarket, need to purchase their cloth bags. There seems to be no rubbish problem here, possibly the cleanest country I've seen. We take our own bags to shop.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 19:45   #32

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Yes, in the 60's even in Hicksville USA, the distributor used to drop by every week and exchange wooden crates of beer and soda bottles for full ones.

On the other hand, I seem to recall Belize in the 70's - the bottling plant wasn't so great with washing the empties. Serious beer drinkers carried a kitchen strainer to filter out the drowned cockroaches.
I once found a seriously dead piece of lime in a bottle of Mexican brew, although not enough trauma to keep me from finishing the Negro Modelo Cervesa !

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 20:47   #33
cruiser

Most of you are “preaching to the ”choir”

The people who litter really don’t give a rat’s azz what you think.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 17:28   #34

Now the BBC has picked up the story..

I wonder how much of this is due to the Hurricane Irma blowing through so many islands... Anything not tied down... would of course get blown into the sea.....
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote