Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:00   #166

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Please and Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
Mea culpa

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ditto
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43   #167
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I don't understand the crab at all. But then, I never understood Agatha Christie, either, and gave up after a couple books.
Was trying to figure out if Blue Crab was male or female..With that appenndage it would seem that he is a he,girl crabs dont have that pointy thing...I cant read A C either..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 16:36   #168

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Please and Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Was trying to figure out if Blue Crab was male or female..With that appenndage it would seem that he is a he,girl crabs dont have that pointy thing...I cant read A C either..
... the difference between a jimmy and a James.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 21:33   #169

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Oh my goodness... the number of posts around here where people say "IS instead of ISNT, "I will" instead of "I will not" etc... is shameful and horribly misleading!
I thought you kids were just being silly about that, but its prolific!
Old 10-03-2014, 00:44   #170
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I will use "IS"
I will not use "ISNT"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:08   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
Oh my goodness... the number of posts around here where people say "IS instead of ISNT, "I will" instead of "I will not" etc... is shameful and horribly misleading!
I thought you kids were just being silly about that, but its prolific!
Yepper. It IS disappointing. Given, we all make mistakes, but there are posters who are very difficult to understand, post after post. Worse, there's one very critical frequent flyer on here who apparently cannot write a complete sentence at all, never mind punctuation. Without context, he wouldn't make any sense at all.

My guess is that they're in such a rush to say something before the next person does that they don't take time to proofread. How desperate for recognition can one be? And I am speaking of English as the first language people. ESL folks get, but often do not need, some slack.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:24   #172

FYI RRP is a UK term which stands for (Manufacturer's) Recommended Retail Price.

Ooops I'm doing it now. FYI = For Your Information.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:55   #173
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yepper. It IS disappointing. Given, we all make mistakes, but there are posters who are very difficult to understand, post after post. Worse, there's one very critical frequent flyer on here who apparently cannot write a complete sentence at all, never mind punctuation. Without context, he wouldn't make any sense at all.

My guess is that they're in such a rush to say something before the next person does that they don't take time to proofread. How desperate for recognition can one be? And I am speaking of English as the first language people. ESL folks get, but often do not need, some slack.
The nerve of some Simi-illiterate folks !! Why even try? They should be run out of town on a pole for even attempting to communicate with such highly educated people as we have here on cruiseres forum..Anyone can get a "libral arts degree" all that is required is the ability to "fog up" a pane of glass and you have a "degree",why dont more folks strive for such a "degree" they would then be able to "pass as intelligent" ..The nerve of those dumb people...
Old 10-03-2014, 08:47   #174

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanQuest View Post
FYI RRP is a UK term which stands for (Manufacturer's) Recommended Retail Price.

Ooops I'm doing it now. FYI = For Your Information.
Thank god someone cleared that up. It was driving me crazy!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:05   #175

Quote:
The nerve of some Simi-illiterate folks !! Why even try? They should be run out of town on a pole for even attempting to communicate with such highly educated people as we have here on cruiseres forum..Anyone can get a "libral arts degree" all that is required is the ability to "fog up" a pane of glass and you have a "degree",why dont more folks strive for such a "degree" they would then be able to "pass as intelligent" ..The nerve of those dumb people...
Yep, you nailed it! But I was just talking about writing a complete coherent sentence which has little to do with formal education. What I've noticed is that many ... er ... folks are proud of their ignorance. That's something I do not understand.

I agree that the letters after yer name don't mean much. The letters and $3.00 will get you a beer at my next stop. No need to get snippy.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:20   #176

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Yep, you nailed it! But I was just talking about writing a complete coherent sentence which has little to do with formal education. What I've noticed is that many ... er ... folks are proud of their ignorance. That's something I do not understand.

I agree that the letters after yer name don't mean much. The letters and $3.00 will get you a beer at my next stop. No need to get snippy.
Don't undervalue or minimalize education. Generally speaking people with education are more capable of writing a complete and coherent sentence. I for one have not run encountered anyone who is proud of their ignorance.

Without the letters the beer would cost $6.00
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:29   #177
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

I wasn't being snippy, I was being crabby..(notice I put a comma in place)I don't think it is pride,as much as not giving a damn..Now I must go and practice my cursive writing skills...lol
Old 10-03-2014, 11:36   #178
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

I agree that the letters after yer name don't mean much. The letters and $3.00 will get you a beer at my next stop.
I've been getting ripped off! Is there a list of places that give the beer discount and do I need to bring any proof (I think that stuff is in a box in the basement somewhere).

I've = I have (just in case)
Old 10-03-2014, 15:27   #179

I like it:

Cruising >> Cursing >> cursive !

Nyce segway !

Suttel, two.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 15:28   #180

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I wasn't being snippy, I was being crabby..(notice I put a comma in place)I don't think it is pride,as much as not giving a damn..Now I must go and practice my cursive writing skills...lol
The first comma should be a semicolon. The second comma shouldn't be there at all.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease