Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2021, 11:20   #16

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland
Re: Please, do not whine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
We'll, I paid $3 a foot in Tahsis this summer - and there are MUCH more expensive marinas around. I'm very surprised you've never paid more than $2 a foot.
Nope.
For transients in the Chesapeake, on season can be around around $1.80 ft./per night and off season around $1.55ft./per night. That would include Water, Pool, WIFI etc.... Electricity is normally separate or included it really depends on the owner. Of course some areas charge more, especially northern Chesapeake. So as I said the difference between charging for a foot more, per night is negligible.
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:38   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I took a temporary slip for our Westsail 32 in Long Beach Marina years ago. The application called for boat length not specifying overall or hull length so I put down 32'. When I put the boat in the slip it only lasted a week before someone complained about our bowsprit intruding into the pier walkway. Fortunately they were able to move us to a 40' slip. After that gave the overall length for the boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:02   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
I've always hated the process of charging by the foot. If it's for an along-side tie up then it makes sense, you're paying for some length of real estate. But for a slip, it just creates a bit of animosity between boater and marina right off. Just charge what the maximum slip can handle (with allowed overhangs) and let that be that. There will still be issues with folks trying to fit a 45' boat in to a 40' space but I think the marinas should just deal with those situations case by case.

I once asked a friend who manages a marina why they do this and he said it was about making as much money as possible. After thinking about it that didn't make sense to me. I think marinas that charge by the foot for slips are leaving money on the table. A 36' boat that's sitting in a 40' slip pays less than a 38' boat right next to it. To me, they should both be paying the same. The marina is actually losing money on the deal. Doesn't make any sense to me.

And don't get me started on mooring balls that get charged by the foot. Ugh!

Not much else to add. Along-side ties, the per-foot charge makes sense. But unless you're going to fit two boats onto one slip, the price should be charged per-slip. The same 40-foot slip is fully occupied whether it is a 30-foot boat or a 42-foot boat.

But I think length is really just a proxy for 'ability to pay.' The larger the boat, the deeper the pockets -- or so the assumption goes.
Old 01-10-2021, 13:39   #19

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengland View Post
Hi rbyham, I am going to be moving house from Richmond, VA to somewhere commutable to North Myrtle Beach.... Might you have any recommendations where would be a great economical mooring for my 34.256ft Irwin? It draws 5.5ft.
I also have a 400mile+ sail to do at various stages of weather windows if anybody wants to join me.
Thanks
Check with Glen at Coquina Yacht Club (it’s not really one). He saved my butt this summer when I was dragged in due to engine problems. Guy’s a former sailor and an absolute gem. Tell ‘em Buddha Moon sent you…
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 13:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
The marina lounge tonight was full of people whining about the marina owner who had the evil temerity to actually MEASURE the length of their boats instead of just believing them. Of course in every case the boat was significantly LONGER then they wanted to pay for.

Most of the dock space for transients in this marina is side tie. So if you claim you need 40 feet, and you REALLY need 48, that's a problem, multiplied by four or five boats...

Come ON, People. Be honest. If you can not be honest, at the very least you can be humble and accepting if you get called out for lying.
its also an immediate and first integrity check that they will use to dictate how warmly and honestly they treat you from that moment forward. Lie about that and they will be suspect of anything else you have to interact with them on. Not worth it if you are trying to build a reputation or respect for future stays or needs.
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 15:15   #21

Boat: Nonsuch 30

When you go through the Panama Canal an 'admeasurer' comes out to your boat to measure it. Fifty feet is the magic number. Above 50' the cost goes up dramatically. We left our anchor on the roller but put the Monitor's rudder down for the measurement. our Bristol 45.5 was measured at 48.5' which was a good thing. People do all sorts of things to keep short - dinghy on deck, davits removed.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander4Wonder View Post
its also an immediate and first integrity check that they will use to dictate how warmly and honestly they treat you from that moment forward. Lie about that and they will be suspect of anything else you have to interact with them on. Not worth it if you are trying to build a reputation or respect for future stays or needs.
Spot on!

Every dockmaster knows EXACTLY how far apart his pilings are, and how many dock boards there are per foot. You can fib all you want, but he KNOWS.

At this marina/boatyard the whole process of measuring boats every time was initiated by a VERY famous YouTube boat who showed up and basically demanded all kinds of special treatment and free stuff in return for free advertising. In addition to using facilities while they were out anchored that they were supposed to pay for, but never did. Do they think they are anonymous or something???

The marina owner pointed out he was full up and turning away customers without spending a dime on advertising, thank you very much, now pay your bill! The YouTuber's reported their boat as the length on the documentation certificate, which was actually LOD, not LOA, and they had an arch with davits, and a bow pulpit, etc.

The owner got so pissed at them he marched down the dock, muttering that there was NO WAY the boat was the length they said... sure enough he got to add 8 feet to their bill... every day they were there. Not a lot of money, but it's the thought that counts!

So now he measures every boat, as a matter of course. A great example of leaving a very stinky wake behind you...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:00   #23

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Not much else to add. Along-side ties, the per-foot charge makes sense. But unless you're going to fit two boats onto one slip, the price should be charged per-slip. The same 40-foot slip is fully occupied whether it is a 30-foot boat or a 42-foot boat.

But I think length is really just a proxy for 'ability to pay.' The larger the boat, the deeper the pockets -- or so the assumption goes.
We have a private Marina, governed by the HOA.
Our Marina Manager, not A Boater, claims that boats are measured by a square box analogy.
So, to them the boats underwater gear adds into the equation.
Claimed our Cal29 was actually 30 because of the rudder sticks out bit over the projected line downwards.
Never heard of such a thing.
We asked them to prove its done that way and we'd comply.
Now, they don't want us in the Marina.
But, were still there.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 15:05   #24

Boat: Mirage 35

Ours is a "35", design length is something like six inches more, but measured from bow roller to davits is 38 feet long.

I tell marinas it's 38 ft LOA because I prefer to have adequate length to dock the boat; same with our home marina because that way they can ensure that there's enough space for the boats they have.

And it costs me as a transient maybe $6 per night more; fortunately I'm not so close to the line that I can't handle that.

Of course people always complain the most about trivial amounts - it allows them to defend their "principles."
Old 02-10-2021, 16:27   #25

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This is silly. Absolutely every boat owner knows both exactly what their model LOA and model number is. In fact, most people I know tend to define their boat by LOA. (Searay 280 owners who proudly claim they have a 31 foot boat).

They ALL also know that they are reporting the vessel based on the model, not the LOA. To then be apoplectic at the thought of being measured and charged for actual length?? Ridiculous!!!
Don't you have to add extra for the davits and the dink normally?

I'm paying based on 42' for my Hunter 38 because of that. Seems reasonable to me as it dictated me being in a longer slip so as to not protrude into the fairway.

I personally have a problem with people squeezing large vessels with long bowsprits into slips that are too short and overhanging the pier. Especially when its nighttime and I've had a few. I have a large knot on my head right now from a gorgeous Cabo Rico
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 17:16   #26

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Don't you have to add extra for the davits and the dink normally?

I'm paying based on 42' for my Hunter 38 because of that. Seems reasonable to me as it dictated me being in a longer slip so as to not protrude into the fairway.

I personally have a problem with people squeezing large vessels with long bowsprits into slips that are too short and overhanging the pier. Especially when its nighttime and I've had a few. I have a large knot on my head right now from a gorgeous Cabo Rico
This.

As noted I have a 35 that is 38' LOA. We're on a 30' finger slip, but the marina judges (correctly) that the fairway is wide enough to handle it and, knowing everyone's true boat length, they put all of the longer ones on the same side so you don't have to zig-zag through them. But it's the stern that sticks out - bow overhanging the dock will get you a polite correction pretty quickly.

(The overhang on the stern has other amusement value: the gate in the lifelines is pretty much over open water, and the stern line is more decoration than anything else, but that's another story.)
Old 02-10-2021, 18:00   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I think most marina's have cottoned on the the LOA vs. $/ft game. Nowadays, if you have a 30' boat, but have a dink in davits, etc. you'll be directed to a 40' slip and be charged accordingly.
Transient dockage nowadays is just this side of highway robbery.

The drystack building is much the same. charges are based on LOA. I have a 23' fishing boat in there, but the LOA is measured from the back of the engine's cowling to the trolling motor up front...coming up to around 27'......I could remove the trolling motor and save myself a few bucks every month....but the odds are that marina will soon find a more compliant customer.

My personal feeling is that the day will come when marina's will kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

I see it already. Boating has become too expensive for the general public, and even the well heeled folk are saying ...enuff already......
Joe blow has resorted to keeping his fishing boat in his driveway. The sailboat industry is dead on it's feet from where I stand.

What, with Covid, hefty marina charges, insurance, astronomical fuel prices, boat payments, etc, from my perspective the sailboat industry is being strangled to death.

Mooring fields are everywhere, every community trying to make a buck from the " rich" yachtsman.

Where and when will it all end ??? No tellin'...but it can't go on like this...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 21:18   #28

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

hi all; in our marina the length overall can sometimes be arbitrary. often boats with a swim grid that has a kicker are charged an extra foot or two if the engine is up, sometimes not. when what we call the wheel of misfortune is deployed by marina staff to measure boat length this sometimes causes a little ill will, often with transient boaters.
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:53   #29

Boat: Tartan 40
Please, do not whine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I think most marina's have cottoned on the the LOA vs. $/ft game. Nowadays, if you have a 30' boat, but have a dink in davits, etc. you'll be directed to a 40' slip and be charged accordingly.

Transient dockage nowadays is just this side of highway robbery.

The drystack building is much the same. charges are based on LOA. I have a 23' fishing boat in there, but the LOA is measured from the back of the engine's cowling to the trolling motor up front...coming up to around 27'......I could remove the trolling motor and save myself a few bucks every month....but the odds are that marina will soon find a more compliant customer.

My personal feeling is that the day will come when marina's will kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

I see it already. Boating has become too expensive for the general public, and even the well heeled folk are saying ...enuff already......

Joe blow has resorted to keeping his fishing boat in his driveway. The sailboat industry is dead on it's feet from where I stand.

What, with Covid, hefty marina charges, insurance, astronomical fuel prices, boat payments, etc, from my perspective the sailboat industry is being strangled to death.

Mooring fields are everywhere, every community trying to make a buck from the " rich" yachtsman.

Where and when will it all end ??? No tellin'...but it can't go on like this...

I don’t know- it’s just supply and demand… can’t blame marinas for charging what the market will bear- and hopefully they recognize when demand starts to drop post COVID surge and drop prices. I’d rather marinas be a viable business than give way to condos

As far as LOA or stated model length- as long as marinas are clear about the rules why complain? For the record I’m not sure my LOA with davits and my boat has the T40 logo so I always get charged 40. And if someone wants to measure all good.
My home marina is flat fee for slip. Whatever fits in it. Fine by me also
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:33   #30

The trend around here is to charge by the square meter. Measures length over all by maximum width.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease