Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 20:49   #1

Please, do not whine....

The marina lounge tonight was full of people whining about the marina owner who had the evil temerity to actually MEASURE the length of their boats instead of just believing them. Of course in every case the boat was significantly LONGER then they wanted to pay for.

Most of the dock space for transients in this marina is side tie. So if you claim you need 40 feet, and you REALLY need 48, that's a problem, multiplied by four or five boats...

Come ON, People. Be honest. If you can not be honest, at the very least you can be humble and accepting if you get called out for lying.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 21:27   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Please, do not whine....

Wait till you get to Santa Barbara. The harbor patrol came out and measured my friend's 30 foot boat. The limit was 30' for the slip. It was 30 feet and a half inch. No good. We tweeked the bow pulpit back a bit to make it exactly 30 feet. Now he's in the slip.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 21:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
The marina lounge tonight was full of people whining about the marina owner who had the evil temerity to actually MEASURE the length of their boats instead of just believing them. Of course in every case the boat was significantly LONGER then they wanted to pay for.

Most of the dock space for transients in this marina is side tie. So if you claim you need 40 feet, and you REALLY need 48, that's a problem, multiplied by four or five boats...

Come ON, People. Be honest. If you can not be honest, at the very least you can be humble and accepting if you get called out for lying.
That sort of lying is douchebaggery, plain and simple. Seriously people, if you can not afford the service move on. Stop tagging the rest of us with what you leave in your wake, please.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:58   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Boy, this post rings a bell! I once saw someone use a transient slip to dock their "35'er", that had a 4' bowsprit, in a slip for 35' boats. Life got interesting for them as their slip had a seawall with a cement walkway in the bow end. Well, the tide went out, and the bowsprit got stuck on the seawall and the bow was raised out of the water 8" or so, stuck solid. Needless to say, the marina, and the boatowner were not happy, they had to move to a larger, more appropriate and more expensive slip.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:14   #5

Boat: Cal-40

I have a slip in a marina in Wrangell Alaska and there they charge you the the documented length of your vessel or the length of your slip whichever is greater. I don’t recall anyone ever measuring my boat instead only using the length provided on the boat papers. The only bitch I ever have is when some region sends me a bill for personal property taxes for the season my vessel was stored in their area. I’ve always felt this tax was nothing more then legalized theft of my money through legislation.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:49   #6

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

Here, the rate is based on the slip and you can’t exceed slip length. So a 20’ boat could pay as much as a 40’ boat.
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:20   #7

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:

Since boats aren't bars of soap, or can be stacked together as such.
Most REASONABLE Marinas will allow an overhang,and that is subject to approval.
Our Marina will allow a 3 ft overhang.
This doesn't mean you can berth a 29ft, in a 26ft. slip though.

Oh, and don't forget the beam of the boat, that can be problematic as well.

Question to the Marina is how am I supposed to get my boat in and out without reasonable room in front or back. Especially on dock moorage.

Because not to allow enough room to enter or exit is a liability to the owner or leasee.
Most Marinas know what's important.
Keep a good relationship with them and it usually goes smoothly.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:25   #8

Boat: Nicholson 55

Talking to marina managers down the years, they all have a remarkably accurate sense of how long a boat is. I wouldn’t advise trying to fool any marina.
Methersgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:25   #9

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

My Marina charges by the foot.
I always declare my LOA correctly as 34.25 ft, I am charged for 34. So does every other marina I've been in. The difference between one of the most expensive transients I've been in, between 34 & 35ft is ~$2. I think I can afford $2.
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:34   #10

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

My concern is not so much how they measure but the per foot cost. For my 36 Catalina over $100 a night seems fairly outrageous but I'm sure there's parts of the country where that sounds cheap I am East Coast South Carolina
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:34   #11

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengland View Post
My Marina charges by the foot.
I always declare my LOA correctly as 34.25 ft, I am charged for 34. So does every other marina I've been in. The difference between one of the most expensive transients I've been in, between 34 & 35ft is ~$2. I think I can afford $2.
We'll, I paid $3 a foot in Tahsis this summer - and there are MUCH more expensive marinas around. I'm very surprised you've never paid more than $2 a foot.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:44   #12

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
My concern is not so much how they measure but the per foot cost. For my 36 Catalina over $100 a night seems fairly outrageous but I'm sure there's parts of the country where that sounds cheap I am East Coast South Carolina
Hi rbyham, I am going to be moving house from Richmond, VA to somewhere commutable to North Myrtle Beach.... Might you have any recommendations where would be a great economical mooring for my 34.256ft Irwin? It draws 5.5ft.
I also have a 400mile+ sail to do at various stages of weather windows if anybody wants to join me.
Thanks
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:08   #13

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

I've always hated the process of charging by the foot. If it's for an along-side tie up then it makes sense, you're paying for some length of real estate. But for a slip, it just creates a bit of animosity between boater and marina right off. Just charge what the maximum slip can handle (with allowed overhangs) and let that be that. There will still be issues with folks trying to fit a 45' boat in to a 40' space but I think the marinas should just deal with those situations case by case.

I once asked a friend who manages a marina why they do this and he said it was about making as much money as possible. After thinking about it that didn't make sense to me. I think marinas that charge by the foot for slips are leaving money on the table. A 36' boat that's sitting in a 40' slip pays less than a 38' boat right next to it. To me, they should both be paying the same. The marina is actually losing money on the deal. Doesn't make any sense to me.

And don't get me started on mooring balls that get charged by the foot. Ugh!
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:09   #14

Quote:

I guess no-one likes to be labelled a cheat - even by the IRS (and they can levy a fine, adding injury to insult)
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:17   #15

Quote:
The marina lounge tonight was full of people whining about the marina owner who had the evil temerity to actually MEASURE the length of their boats instead of just believing them.
This is silly. Absolutely every boat owner knows both exactly what their model LOA and model number is. In fact, most people I know tend to define their boat by LOA. (Searay 280 owners who proudly claim they have a 31 foot boat).

They ALL also know that they are reporting the vessel based on the model, not the LOA. To then be apoplectic at the thought of being measured and charged for actual length?? Ridiculous!!!
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease