Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2024, 05:49   #1

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme
Please (try to) avoid sailing/transiting through race courses

I’ve been a long time small boat sailor/racer and relatively new cruiser. I’m posting this thread to ask my cruising friends here to try to be aware especially when you are in a coastal area near yacht clubs of boats racing on courses relatively close to harbor entrances.

This past week, I was racing the A-Class catamaran North American championship in Pensacola. The A-Class catamaran is an 18’ foot long singlehanded boat that is capable of speeds in excess of 20 knots. The race courses were typically windward/leeward configuration with legs approximately 1.25 miles long and were set 3-4 miles from the outlet of the harbor where we launched. Several times during the event we had cruising boats that were traveling from the harbor area where we launched (by Pensacola Yacht Club) towards the outlet of Pensacola Bay (over 9 miles away) go right through the middle of our race course either under sail or power and at low speed. They all became obstructions/hazards that had to be avoided by the racers who were sailing 2-3 times faster. In some instances, racers lost places in a race taking action to avoid a close call. The most annoying incident was a 50 foot Beneteau that sailed downwind on port tack (the give way tack) right through the middle of the course towing a dinghy so it became a 70 foot long slow moving obstruction throwing out a big wind shadow. The most potentially hazardous incident was a power trawler that was going to cut through a windward mark area right as 8-10 boats were approaching it at high speed on opposite tacks. Luckily, one of the race committee safety boats waved it off before the situation caused a big problem.

This is a courtesy call to be aware. There are many cruisers who have little to no experience with racing sailboats so are probably not even looking to see if they are getting into a racing area. Most PRO (principal race officers) will set up a course where there is plenty of room on either side to stay clear so it should not create a significant diversion for non-racing boats to keep clear of the area. That was the case this past week as there was plenty of sea room on either side of the race course to avoid interference.

Thanks for consideration and being extra aware for safety and to keep everyone smiling.
DragonflyBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 06:11   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Please (try to) avoid sailing/transiting through race courses

Quote:
This is a courtesy call to be aware. There are many cruisers who have little to no experience with racing sailboats so are probably not even looking to see if they are getting into a racing area. Most PRO (principal race officers) will set up a course where there is plenty of room on either side to stay clear so it should not create a significant diversion for non-racing boats to keep clear of the area. That was the case this past week as there was plenty of sea room on either side of the race course to avoid interference.
That may be the case, but OTOH I have many times found myself in the middle of a group of race boats because there was no other logical way to get through them. For example, one popular harbor I frequent starts and finishes most races within the marked harbor entrance channel. It is a wide channel, but between ferries coming and going, other boat traffic, and the racers it is hard to keep clear. Another time I was entering the Magothy RIver in the Chesapeake and a large race was coming out of the narrow river entrance. Short of just anchoring and waiting, there was no way for me to avoid the race course. Same with many races around Newport, RI, where you often encounter racers tacking out of Narragansett Bay, going shore to shore between the buoys. There is simply no safe room outside of the channel to avoid them.
Old 15-04-2024, 06:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Please (try to) avoid sailing/transiting through race courses

Poole Harbour can be a nightmare, racers even obstruct the cross channel ferry to Cherbourg.. whistle blasts just egg them on..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 06:35   #4

I fully understand the situations above and those are typically with larger offshore/inshore boats sailing “can” or distance races to fixed marks. Most of those boats sail at no more than 1.5 times the speed of a cruiser under sail or power. My concern is that modern small boat sailing is evolving towards more speed and higher performance and that is where it can be potentially be a problem due to the big variations in performance. Most courses for one design or smaller boats (if you have a competent PRO) are set away from high traffic areas or harbor inlets/outlets so it’s a matter of being heads up. It was obvious last week that the cruisers that cut across our course had no idea they had entered a racing area until boats started converging on them or were taking action to keep clear.

At least for the most part, sailors try to keep clear if they are aware. The power boats, not so much and many times they bring a lot of wake action (annoying when you are racing in lighter wind).
Old 15-04-2024, 06:48   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

In the ColRegs, do racers have some sort of priority over other vessels? I honestly don't know, but I suspect the answer is: no.

I think one of the principles of any life-well-lived is to be courteous and respectful of others. So I agree, cruisers should try and steer clear of active racers, if they can.

But racers and race organizers have the same responsibility to be respectful and courteous towards other boaters. That means holding races in locations that limit the impact on others. Vitally, it means communicating clearly that there is a race going on. It's pretty easy to miss a large-scale race, especially if you are new to the area. And finally, race organizers should definitely lay out the course away from harbour entrances, or other squeeze points where all boaters must go.
Old 15-04-2024, 07:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
In the ColRegs, do racers have some sort of priority over other vessels? I honestly don't know, but I suspect the answer is: no.

I think one of the principles of any life-well-lived is to be courteous and respectful of others. So I agree, cruisers should try and steer clear of active racers, if they can.

But racers and race organizers have the same responsibility to be respectful and courteous towards other boaters. That means holding races in locations that limit the impact on others. Vitally, it means communicating clearly that there is a race going on. It's pretty easy to miss a large-scale race, especially if you are new to the area. And finally, race organizers should definitely lay out the course away from harbour entrances, or other squeeze points where all boaters must go.
There’s no special priority Mike that racers have over non-racers. It’s a “common courtesy” call. And I’ve seen racers explode verbally at cruisers who venture on to the course by accident which is unacceptable. In the case of the Beneteau I referenced above, I was leading a race on a downwind leg and saw them coming and jibed early to be sure I passed behind them to avoid their wind shadow. My concerns are that many cruisers are unaware and are often surprised or caught off guard by the closing speeds of the smaller higher performance sailing craft on the water today (foiling boats and sailboards, kiteboards, etc.). In 10-15 knots of wind, my A-Class catamaran is sailing at 10-12 knots upwind and 12-18 knots downwind.
Old 15-04-2024, 07:19   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You are correct, there are no COLREG provisions for racers; but often they seem to believe that they are stand-on because they are racing. And you can hear the jury laughing a mile away during protest hearings because racers felt they were being hindered by non-racing boats but, when pressed, admitted that according to COLREGs they were the give-way vessel.

I've been working the committee boats at some of the bigger races in the Caribbean for years (just last month at the Heineken Regatta in St. Martin, next week at the Classics and the week thereafter at Antigua Sailing Week) and often a cruising sailboat will inadvertently wander through the starting or finishing area. We hail them and advise that there's a race in progress and often they will avoid the course. But if they don't, then there's nothing we can (or should) do about it.
Old 15-04-2024, 07:24   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
My concerns are that many cruisers are unaware and are often surprised or caught off guard by the closing speeds of the smaller higher performance sailing craft on the water today (foiling boats and sailboards, kiteboards, etc.). In 10-15 knots of wind, my A-Class catamaran is sailing at 10-12 knots upwind and 12-18 knots downwind.
Unfortunately, in my experience many racers refuse to respect cruisers that occupy the same waters, and are caught off guard by the fact that a cruiser is just proceeding legally towards his/her destination and is not prepared or even able to quickly tack, jibe, or otherwise make a major departure from their chosen course. The cruiser may be constrained by draft, a small crew, and other considerations.
Old 15-04-2024, 07:39   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

COLREGS apply. In the example given, the Beneteau was on port tack and should have given way and kept clear. But it is not reasonable to assume or think that all cruising boats should or will. In the little racing I have done, it even says in the notice of race that COLREGS are to be followed and that racing boats are to follow them if they encounter boats that are not racing.

With that in mind, when I am sailing if I happen on a group of boats, racing or not, I try not to sail right through them. But sometimes, they are right in the way of where I need to go. Racing boats need to expect this and if they lose position, that is part of racing.
Old 15-04-2024, 07:50   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyBob View Post
There’s no special priority Mike that racers have over non-racers. It’s a “common courtesy” call.
Completely agree! But as I said, that courtesy applies both ways. It's all too common for general boaters to feel the wrath of racers who feel they always have priority, just because they are racing.

In my limited experience with races, the lack of clear communication is often the source of the problem. Unless you're from the area, most general boaters won't know they are fumbling into a race. And by the time they do, it is too late. So if race organizers are constantly experiencing problems, they probably need to do a better job communicating to the boaters in the area.

Quote:
My concerns are that many cruisers are unaware and are often surprised or caught off guard by the closing speeds of the smaller higher performance sailing craft on the water today (foiling boats and sailboards, kiteboards, etc.). In 10-15 knots of wind, my A-Class catamaran is sailing at 10-12 knots upwind and 12-18 knots downwind.
It's a good point. All boaters need to be aware of the surrounding traffic, and to do their best to estimate speeds of other vessels. This can be difficult when faced with unusual situations. It's why the large boat speeds are easily misjudged, and I'm sure you're correct that the same applies to small boats that are moving unusually fast.

But as you know, the primary principle in the COLREGS is that everyone has a responsibility to avoid a collision. There is no "right of way" for anyone. It applies to general boaters, as well as racers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I've been working the committee boats at some of the bigger races in the Caribbean for years ... and often a cruising sailboat will inadvertently wander through the starting or finishing area. We hail them and advise that there's a race in progress and often they will avoid the course. But if they don't, then there's nothing we can (or should) do about it.
This seems like an excellent approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Unfortunately, in my experience many racers refuse to respect cruisers that occupy the same waters, and are caught off guard by the fact that a cruiser is just proceeding legally towards his/her destination and is not prepared or even able to quickly tack, jibe, or otherwise make a major departure from their chosen course. The cruiser may be constrained by draft, a small crew, and other considerations.
Yup. Just like general boaters need to be aware of fast-moving racers, the same applies to racers who need to appreciate that most boaters will be moving at slower speeds. All parties have a duty to avoid a collission, and racers have no special priority over other boaters.

Most people will be courteous if given the chance, which is why good communication seems essential.
Old 15-04-2024, 09:15   #11

You're going to find little sympathy from me. More often than not, I find the 'race course' directly across the lane of travel. It's a big ocean, there's plenty of room to share.

However, you choose to avoid a long sail to and from the race course, and become an obstruction to navigation to everyone else.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 09:19   #12

Boat: Downeaster 38

I believe maritime law states you don’t have to avoid others when flying your novelty pirate flag
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 13:34   #13

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I would bet that given a pop quiz on Colregs or any boating rules most people could not pass the quiz. So it comes down to avoiding collisions which are what most people do.

I have had racers yell " we are racing " in a tightly confined channel. And everyone else is just trying to get through. My wife, who normally is at the wheel, is uncomfortable when boats are 100 meters away and the racers really upset her with how close they get to non racing boats.

I have been on race boats that have totally plugged up an area for other traffic. Forcing other boats to wait outside or take chances going through the mass of crazy racers. When there is a crew of just 2 sometimes getting out of the way is not going to happen just because you're racing.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 14:00   #14

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I respect your ask,
I follow the Col-Regs,..and I’ll get out of the way of a vessel that thinks they are the stand on. I will get away from a race in progress if it benefits me that’s as far as I will go.

I could list pages of events in my life where “Racers” have exhibited (stated mildly) terrible ethics.

The Racing community has to do better.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 14:37   #15

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
I’ve been a long time small boat sailor/racer and relatively new cruiser. I’m posting this thread to ask my cruising friends here to try to be aware especially when you are in a coastal area near yacht clubs of boats racing on courses relatively close to harbor entrances.

This past week, I was racing the A-Class catamaran North American championship in Pensacola. The A-Class catamaran is an 18’ foot long singlehanded boat that is capable of speeds in excess of 20 knots. The race courses were typically windward/leeward configuration with legs approximately 1.25 miles long and were set 3-4 miles from the outlet of the harbor where we launched. Several times during the event we had cruising boats that were traveling from the harbor area where we launched (by Pensacola Yacht Club) towards the outlet of Pensacola Bay (over 9 miles away) go right through the middle of our race course either under sail or power and at low speed. They all became obstructions/hazards that had to be avoided by the racers who were sailing 2-3 times faster. In some instances, racers lost places in a race taking action to avoid a close call. The most annoying incident was a 50 foot Beneteau that sailed downwind on port tack (the give way tack) right through the middle of the course towing a dinghy so it became a 70 foot long slow moving obstruction throwing out a big wind shadow. The most potentially hazardous incident was a power trawler that was going to cut through a windward mark area right as 8-10 boats were approaching it at high speed on opposite tacks. Luckily, one of the race committee safety boats waved it off before the situation caused a big problem.

Thanks for consideration and being extra aware for safety and to keep everyone smiling.
As far as the Trawler goes... what an a**.

As far as the cruisers. it seems like you're asking the cruisers to alter their course. and on its face, it does sounds like a reasonable and polite request, it also sounds like you're asking larger and slower sailboats to adjust their sails, plan, and time for the racers.

I Just want to throw this crazy thought out there.
What if a racer foresaw potential navigation conflicts and adjusted their strategy accordingly? At the very least it would demonstrate good seamanship, sailing acumen, and proper Womper timing.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, race, sail, lease