Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2022, 16:02   #1

Plotting and Sharing Proposed Itinerary

Hello,

I am arranging a two-week charter throughout the leewards with a group of mostly green crew. In addition to giving them the practical information they'll need for the trip I am hoping to plot the potential itinerary on a map showing potential day stops as well as overnight anchorages. If I could do it as a "private" layer in Google Earth or Google Maps that would be very cool as they could zoom out to see the overall route and then zoom in to get better details on where we will be anchoring and stopping. Anyone know how to do this - or if it's even possible?

Thanks!
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 17:21   #2

Re: Plotting and Sharing Proposed Itinerary

I'll answer my own post here. I discovered that you can go to mymaps at Google and plot markers and modifiable lines on the map, then save to your Google Drive where you can share from there. Whoever you share with can zoom in and explore dining options, shopping, sights, etc...
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 18:08   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Plotting and Sharing Proposed Itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmatt View Post
Hello,

I am arranging a two-week charter throughout the leewards with a group of mostly green crew. In addition to giving them the practical information they'll need for the trip I am hoping to plot the potential itinerary on a map showing potential day stops as well as overnight anchorages. If I could do it as a "private" layer in Google Earth or Google Maps that would be very cool as they could zoom out to see the overall route and then zoom in to get better details on where we will be anchoring and stopping. Anyone know how to do this - or if it's even possible?

Thanks!
Many years ago (long before google earth, or even the Internet) I was was organizing a two week charter in the virgin Islands for my first wife and four friends. A few months before we were to fly there, trying to keep enthusiasm up so nobody dropped out, I bought a chart and circulated it to everyone. I said, "Pick a spot on this chart where you want to go, it will be your place. We'll sail to your place."

I don't know how they picked their places, maybe by the name or something they read, but it was special. The excitement of arriving at a place which was only a name and a spot on the chart that they had been dreaming about for months was very special.