View Poll Results: Which is your preferred/recommended app for the Ipad
SEAiq 6 11.11%
iSailor 9 16.67%
SeaNav 1 1.85%
Navionics 27 50.00%
Other - mention below 11 20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 01:00   #31

Boat: Hunter 460
Re: Poll: Which app do you prefer for navigation via iPad/iPhone

My experience with an Ipad using Navionics was generally good - I have a mount on the pedestal handrail so I use it like the big chart consoles others have. As someone else noted it is very good for the ICW.

My only criticism was earlier this year, mid way across the Atlantic between Cape Verde Islands and Antigua, Apple asked me to re-register, or something like that, anywhere I could get a wifi connection. I could not of course and so it remained locked until I could get wifi in Antigua. Fortunately I had backups but it was a real shock at the time. There must be some requirement timed into my Ipad so that it comes up with this message, and locks my Ipad if I don't comply, regardless of where I am.

The Ipad, if it gets wet or moisture on the screen, won't respond to touch commands and/or does crazy things flicking between various programs. I also have a water proof cover on it but that doesn't help. The waterproof cover saved my Ipad when I was wrecked on a lee shore in someone else's boat last year - but that's another story.
David Pakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:52   #32

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
For the sake of completeness this is iNavX view Attachment 172655

This is my iNavX view. Navionics+ charts, sonar view
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	173101
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 13:04   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman4190 View Post
This is my iNavX view. Navionics+ charts, sonar view
Attachment 173101
The problem with that “chart” is that it is providing dated information with no warning that it may be completely wrong. St Augustine inlet channel moves, the CG periodically goes out and checks the position and moves the buoyes. That’s why the NOAA chart does NOT show their location, it provides a warning that you must check before entering. I have called Sea Tow and gotten a local report before attempting it.

So the real important information the chart should supply, and is supplied on the NOAA raster chart, is “We don’t know where the buoyes are”.

The “problem” with the displayed chart is that it MAY provide dated or false information, because it is displayed without warning it conveys a FALSE sense of trust and security.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:09   #34

Boat: Dufour 39 Cruiser

Hi
I have been using INax for many years and find it superb and it integrates with my Vesper marine class B AIS wi fi unit and gives alarms and visual warnings of close vessels see attached screen taken when entering Gibraltar and dodging fast ferries and big tankers.
Linksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 18:50   #35

Boat: Contessa 32

Cruising West Coast of Canada (BC) I am quite happy with TimeZero. It's a scan of the official Canadian charts, nothing fancy. But the charts are familiar, the zoomed views are useful, accuracy is pretty good. I use it on an iPad, but with a handheld Garmin for a more detailed view and a more trustworthy GPS position. I used to use Navionics on an Android tablet and quite liked that as well, particularly the tide and current predictions which were very handy indeed (TimeZero's are not nearly so good). However I got frustrated with Navionics issuing updates that broke the app. Spent half of one season with unusable tablet charts due to a bug in their most recent release, that kind of thing. So I've pretty much switched to iPad/TZ and am quite content. I did like Navionics' detailed sonar map feature. That was a selling point for sure. But I can live without it.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:44   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Accepting that your deal depends on where you are in the world, all these systems have their advantages. For example, the ability to control the Garmin chart plotter from a tablet screen.

That said, when it comes to safety I would far rather rely on iSailor than my Garmin Blue Charts. The latter can be downright dangerous even on maximum detail and zoomed right in.

Look at the S mark off Almerimar, Spain on iSailor and Garmin: -

Now decide which chart is actually safe for navigation.

I should add that on the Blue Chart it is almost impossible to see the TSS off Cabo de Gata. Which some might think is unforgivable.

I have also used Navionics. Personally, I think that the iSailor Transas charts are much clearer and more pleasing to the eye.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:42   #37

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

One App available in I-tunes store called, "Embark", is not as detailed as the paid for Apps, it is free, for the basic, but you pay for extra tems, ie weather,
It is best the 3G type Ipads, as you do not need a sim card, Embark ses the ipads ability to obtain your lcation, from the various GPS satellites, and gives you a dot position.
You can set waypoints, tracks, and time/distance calculations.

Could be an alternative?

Tags
Ipad, iphone, navigation, phone, poll