Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2004, 19:15   #16

Fair enough all, no more politics... Wish the best to all and hope to raise a cold one with you in some port somewhere. My political ax will be ground elsewhere! Fair winds and calm seas!!
orcabait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 14:59   #17
Captain

WAY TO GO, BUDDY!!!

Amphibian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 17:04   #18
Ex-captain

Boat: FP Belize 43 cat (2001)
I see this thread made some temperature among our members - and that's OK. Well, I don't think we should have yet another forum on this discussion board. There are politics involved in a lot of what we need to discuss here.

We practice freedom of speach, but to keep the board interesting for our members we need to remove illegal and unwanted material. What's unwanted on a discussion board for cruising sailors and wannabes? It's quite subjective, but by using common sense most people will know what's relevant here.

In my opinion Orcabait's initial post on this thread would have been both interesting and relevant if the words had been chosen more objective.

I would have chosen this start for the discussion if I was looking for serious replies:
Has American foreign policy after September 11th made it harder for American cruisers around the World? Any experiences?

Dear members, please stick to discussions interesting for cruising sailors and wannabes.

"What's important in life is not how many breaths we get to take,
but those moments that take our breath away"

Jaques Cousteau
Gisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 09:58   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
To get back to the first question ... it has been our limited experience that, as other have said, we are treated more as individuals than as citizens of a particular country. That said, not infrequently when people in a casual restaurant or tavern find out that we are American they will ask us how we feel about things which our government is percieved as doing (which may differ from what our government is actually trying to accomplish), or they may voice support or opposition to vrious national policies or actions, but I have only had anything directed at me personally once - and that was onlyan off-handed comment. I was in a marketplace and commented that I didn't have enough money to buy a certain item. A young woman standing nearby made the remark, "Well, if you didn't waste all your money making war on other countries maybe you could afford other things." Rather simplistic, but she made her point!
All this being said, I have also seen several other Americans (as well as citizens of European countries) behaving in ways which greatly embarrass me - such as sunburned passengers from cruise ships waddling along crowded streets in cities populated mainly by dark skinned people pointing and laughing at how quaint "they" are and trying to take pictures of "them" as though the citizens of the country which they are visiting have been placed there only as curiosities for the entertainment of tourists. All too often the term "Ugly American" comes to mind.
It has been rewarding to know that all over the world, people are people, and they will treat you as you treat them - and 9-11 and politics don't have much to do with it unless YOU bring it up.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 10:42   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Traveling abroad

The thing that bothers me about visiting abroad is when you’re fair skinned they assume your American. When I walk the streets of my wife's homeland (Palawan & Luzon) I hear people say "Hey Americano" or "G.I.". They assume because you’re white that you’re American. Sure, I am, but I could be European or Canadian.

Americans have made a great impression on the world! Some good and some bad. There is black and white politics everywhere! I found the best thing is not to be political except in your own home. That's where it only makes a difference anyway.

You only get one chance to make a first impression, so why not every time.
When in or out of your realm- Smile, show respect (cultural and personal) and be friendly. Arrogance has no place aboard or at home......_/)
And if you're ignorant, admit it!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 01:49   #21

Eastern Seaboard of Malaysia

Well,
back to the point. I spent about 45 days cruising the eastern seaboard of Peninsular Malaysia. I sailed alone from Southern Thailand to Singapore. That region is one of the most densely populated Islamic areas in Malaysia.

I cruised from the beginning Aug to Oct 2003, just after the second war in Iraq began.

Rarely did I ever see any animosity towards cruisers and I always said I was American when asked. The responses varied from a thumbs up and a huge grin to "Oh, wonderful to see an American, we like Americans around here we just don't like George Bush."

I believe that was the worst I ever witnessed. I was invited into many homes, shared my deck and cabin with quite a few curious fishermen and went and snapped photos of some fantastic Islamic architecture. I think I enjoyed that segment of my travels more than I ever could have expected.

So cruising as an American seems pretty safe to me.
Cheers,
Captain Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote