Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2020, 07:55   #46

Re: Power line mast strike

Interesting views on personal responsibility.

The general consensus seems to be:
1. The OP is responsible;
2. The incident did or could have caused damage to the utility company property and its clients;
3. The OP should slink off and take no accountability for the damage caused to others, and possibly misrepresent the incident to the insurance company.

Is that how your parents raised you? Is that how you raise your kids?
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 08:41   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC375 View Post
Interesting views on personal responsibility.

The general consensus seems to be:
1. The OP is responsible;
2. The incident did or could have caused damage to the utility company property and its clients;
3. The OP should slink off and take no accountability for the damage caused to others, and possibly misrepresent the incident to the insurance company.

Is that how your parents raised you? Is that how you raise your kids?
I don't think you understand what "consensus" means.

I sure didn't say that.
Old 24-03-2020, 09:04   #48

I take consensus to mean general agreement – not universal agreement. However to your point even general agreement may be a stretch so let’s go with “strong under current”.
I don’t think I saw even one suggestions for the OP to accept full responsibility for their actions the way one might hope a responsible grown up would.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 09:15   #49

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

Let me state this in very clear lineman speech.. The guy eff'd up and better hope the power company don't find out who he is. He encroached on the line.... not visa versa.
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 10:07   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC375 View Post
I take consensus to mean general agreement – not universal agreement. However to your point even general agreement may be a stretch so let’s go with “strong under current”.
I don’t think I saw even one suggestions for the OP to accept full responsibility for their actions the way one might hope a responsible grown up would.
Well, I'm bored, but I'm not bored enough to get into an internet war.
Old 24-03-2020, 10:29   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ive seen similar cases with bridge collisions. One owner who hit a bridge was making a big bluster about suing the bridge tender for not opening. It was a big deal...lots of officials showed up from various agencies. USCG officer clarified the situation for the owner...he didnt talk much after that...probably contemplating his future bankruptcy.

Good point. Could also be that the bridge only opened on a schedule???
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 10:54   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good point. Could also be that the bridge only opened on a schedule???[emoji2]
Owner had a profound misunderstanding of how these things work. He thought he was the priviledged vessel vs a bridge and they should open immediately at his request. I think this was in keeping with his general view of life.

This was a long bridge with lots of traffic. He just kept barrelling ahead while yelling at the bridge tender on the radio. His power boat was almost low enough to clear the bridge...almost...he plowed right under the bridge and removed the excess height of the boat in the process.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 11:09   #53

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

It seems the OP is pretty much S.O.L from reading s.v michaela's comment. ).

And to trust what lawyers say is adding in more problems than what you already experienced.

Here in SOCAL waters we are not generally constrained by bridges and power lines, except for Huntington Harbor, and most sailing vessels drop their masts as standard procedure when crossing under the bridge and any power lines. They definitely do not anchor there.

Main thing is that neither you , or anyone else on board were electrocuted .
That could have been very , very tragic , even if still alive .

You all look young and healthy and fit, and you can continue on with an amazing life of good times on the water and maybe cruise the caribbean.

Actually, we lived in Huntington Harbor, Ca. but sailed out of Newport Beach , with no main channel obstructions.

I Sailed once with a friend , who also lived in HH, owned his own S/V/ that was slipped a his dock at his waterfront home. I went with him once, we brought the mast down and raised it on the tabernackle fitting going out and back in under the bridge.

One time for me was enough, in a very busy area, plus the Naval Weapons Station where the war ships loaded missiles on board. Never sailed in or out of that situation again, well except for motor vessels that had mucho clearance.

Fix er up, and head back out......a whole world of new areas, and good times await.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 20:32   #54

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

It is absolutely true,,,, UNLESS the ground clearance of the line is has sagged below the requirements set in the states/federal requirements. If it is hung on towers then it's not possible. Pretty much end of discussion...
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast