Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 16:19   #61

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Powerboater Mental Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Hey, I am asking for help here. Just trying to understand.

Overtaking vessel must keep clear of the vessel being overtaken. Maybe I am not understanding but how can an overtaking vessel not be going faster than the vessel being overtaken?

How is passing in front of a vessel being overtaken keeping clear. It sounds to me like just the opposite.

And why the hell don't you just take the slower boats stern in the first place when the shortest distance is a straight line unless there is something wrong with you or you have something to prove?

Why would you go out of your way to cut in front of someone?
Well, in that case, here is your answer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Larson god and jerks.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	114266  
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 22:08   #62

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
For me it was the 1200 HP center console center punching the restaurant, at high speed, in a dense fog

Yeah, weather was the cause of the accident
Going 40mph in the fog?

Bet this guy can't spell seamanship

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 23:04   #63

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Probably power boaters do the half circle for the same reason sail boaters try to run between a tug and it's tow, or fail to yield to shipping in a confined channel, etc., etc.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 23:42   #64

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I saw this today

Yacht named 'Gotcha' gets stuck on a seawall in San Francisco Bay | Daily Mail Online

Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:11   #65
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This is my favorite......now what was it again?....red right returning......Or something else?

Oops too late!....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1449223807257.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	114286  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:13   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Well, in that case, here is your answer:
I think you nailed it. Why would someone go out of their way to cut in front of someone else?

Because they are a jerk. Because they are selfish and self-centered. Because they are inconsiderate and egocentric. Because they suffer from feelings of inadequacy and have something to prove. Because they want to assert themselves over someone else. Just like people everywhere in all other aspects of life.

The fact that they are powerboaters is incidental only to the scenario I have described. People treat each other like crap everyday all the time.

I suppose you could argue that many sailors would do the same if they could and maybe some do in the limited way they can.

Conversely I think you could argue that sailors by their choice of vessel are inherently not likely to be jerks, if they were they would just get a powerboat.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:23   #67

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
I think you nailed it. Why would someone go out of their way to cut in front of someone else?

Because they are a jerk. Because they are selfish and self-centered. Because they are inconsiderate and egocentric. Because they suffer from feelings of inadequacy and have something to prove. Because they want to assert themselves over someone else. Just like people everywhere in all other aspects of life.

The fact that they are powerboaters is incidental only to the scenario I have described. People treat each other like crap everyday all the time.

I suppose you could argue that many sailors would do the same if they could and maybe some do in the limited way they can.

Conversely I think you could argue that sailors by their choice of vessel are inherently not likely to be jerks, if they were they would just get a powerboat.
Reading your last paragraph makes me reflect on paragraph 2.....and that people who actually think sailing is the top of the pyramid...well refer to paragraph 2.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:37   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Reading your last paragraph makes me reflect on paragraph 2.....and that people who actually think sailing is the top of the pyramid...well refer to paragraph 2.
Really? I chose to power my vessel with the wind at six knots so I can be a jerk and assert myself over other people? Who? People in row boats? Swimmers? I've been passed by kayaker before. Nice try. Sad to see it come from a guy with a trawler. Don't know why you are taking no this so personally since the thread is obviously not directed at someone like you. But you are a powerboater so.....
Old 04-12-2015, 05:46   #69

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Really? I chose to power my vessel with the wind at six knots so I can be a jerk and assert myself over other people? Who? People in row boats? Swimmers? I've been passed by kayaker before. Nice try. Sad to see it come from a guy with a trawler. Don't know why you are taking no this so personally since the thread is obviously not directed at someone like you. But you are a powerboater so.....
The problem with "sailors" like you is that I am not a "powerboater"....I am a boater.

I have owned as many sailboats as powerboats...I just currently live on something that doesn't remind me of a cave like my sailboats did.

I enjoy and respect most boaters for who THEY are, not what they drive.

The boaters I enjoy the least are sailors who think they are better because of what they chose.

And it's all over your type of posts.

See ya.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:51   #70

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I have noticed many times a power boat approaching from ahead on the starboard side will crossover to approach on the port side. And then pass by port to port. Most often this happens when the reciprocal courses are near head on.

I think this happens because of the idea that passing on the one is considered more appropriate. And the wandering bow direction of typical sailing boats freaks out power boaters as to which direction it's actually going.

Note, I tend toward the the more positive conclusion, rather than negative.

Plenty of idjits on power and sail though. Sometimes it's me, making a dumb mistake. .....yep, I make mistakes.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:52   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The problem with "sailors" like you is that I am not a "powerboater"....I am a boater.

I have owned as many sailboats as powerboats...I just currently live on something that doesn't remind me of a cave like my sailboats did.

I enjoy and respect most boaters for who THEY are, not what they drive.

The boaters I enjoy the least are sailors who think they are better because of what they chose.

And it's all over your type of posts.

See ya.....
Wow. You ride a high horse. Much higher than mine. Nice to see you're not remotely judgmental. That would be ironic. For what it's worth I have never gone out of my way to cut in front of anyone ever.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:53   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think people in smaller power boats cut in front of larger, slower boats to avoid the wake, and if they do it without closing within a 100' or so, fine. I think it becomes habit and they don't think about us not having a wake, we are to them like the big fishing trawler or Shrimp boat that is rolling a wake, they just see something bigger than them and don't want to have to come off plane for the wake.

And then there are the just dumb ones, During Summer months on my way out the Pass at Panama City, every time I have have usually a couple of jet skis and pontoon boats go by my bow withing 20 or 30 ft while I am under sail at 7 kts or so. I used to worry a lot about it, now I just ignore them, you can't do anything else anyway. Almost all of these are rentals, I believe more than a few may be drunk.

What really annoys me is when a big power Yacht passes me in a channel, just below his planing speed, you know bow real high, rolling that BIG wake. Last happened to me in Sarasota Bay, weekend of the 4th of July, that really brings the nuts out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:04   #73

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:

I drive 12 miles to work with my lights on. Normally I am lucky to see 2 cars on the road. Today on an open stretch someone pulled right out in front of me (me going 65 mph) because they thought they could make it. No one behind me for 12 miles. Arrrgh!!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:09   #74

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I have been a boater the majority of my life. I have captained ski boats, duck boats, fishing boats, canoes and sailboats. I have no inherent dislike for any type of boater and find a large percentage of incompetence across the board. Ergo, whenever possible, I avoid interactions with all boaters. However, when sailing in close quarters to other vessels, I never assume that the other boat has any knowledge of the rules of the road or seamanship. I assume full responsibility for avoiding all conflict and contact. It has kept my vessels safe and conflicts to a bare minimum. There is one thing I do find disturbing as a boater--power boat bashing. I have developed great relationships throughout the years with power boaters of all ilks and realize that even among new boaters, it is a pathway for some to sailboats. On the other hand, there are many sailboaters who are incompetent and assume that whenever their sails are set they have the right of way over everyone. This is a very dangerous and common practice. It reminds me of the few times that I have used the intercoastal waterway (a practice I avoid like the plague) and see Johnny Sailor with his feathers up in a narrow restricted channel and think that everyone has to get out of his way. Or the sailor waiting for a bridge opening with a 2-3 knot current behind him less than 100 feet from the bridge with his 3 cylinder diesel puffing to keep a steady position so he can be the first through the bridge. Idiocy has no boundaries. . . so, in the words of the great American philosopher Rodney King . . . "Can't we just all get along?" Good luck and good sailing.
Old 04-12-2015, 13:19   #75

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
And then there are the just dumb ones, During Summer months on my way out the Pass at Panama City, every time I have have usually a couple of jet skis and pontoon boats go by my bow withing 20 or 30 ft while I am under sail at 7 kts or so. I used to worry a lot about it, now I just ignore them, you can't do anything else anyway. Almost all of these are rentals, I believe more than a few may be drunk.
Funny. My rule for jetskis is also to ignore them. I almost always let my guests helm, and they ask about the rules. I explain the basics but always say "just ignore jetskis." I figure if we hit one I'll paint a little outline of a jetski on my bow.

Thus queue the post count pad story time!

Out sailing one afternoon with a coupla guests. We were under sail, following a whale, whale watching along with a dozen or so other boats including some large commercial whale watchers. Think a big semicircle of boats going 3-5 kts following a whale. Fog rolls in. Rather than be caught in the mad dash to the harbor, we turn west and go away from shore.

We do hear some fog signals. Nobody but us was one long two short. That's ok - maybe they didn't look up the right signal in their Chapmans. It was fun to pass other sailboats and see them emerge and get re engulfed. Sailed around for a few hours it becomes obvious that the fog is not going to clear.

Seamanship WTF #1: Start heading back to the harbor. We hear the unmistakable "reee....reee...ree.." of a jetski at high speed. Yup. One of my guests ask what would happen if he hit us. I mentioned that the jetski dude would likely be an ex-jetski dude, and that we may need to swim towards the beach 'cause I doubt a C-30 would stand up to the impact.

Seamanship WTF #2: While we were out sailing around in the fog I hear a call on 16: "DP Harbor Patrol this is (make and length) sailboat. We're near the harbor and have lost power and we don't exactly know where we are." I thought about being a jerk and radioing back "Put up a sail and head west. You won't hit anything." But I didn't. That would have been mean.

So both power and sail folks have their issues. I have never been cut off at the fuel dock by a sailboat though. Had that happen a few weeks ago. 'Bout 50' out and a powerboat pulls right were I was headed. That jerk says I was going too slow.

And don't get me started about SUPs and kayaks in the harbor...

(Disclaimer: I sail, regularly enjoy powerboats, kayak, and even rent a jetski every now and then)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, men