Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2019, 16:46   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Pressure water - overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
You don't really understand the internet, do ya Mike?
Probably true .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
...I would think a combined system would be best, but unlike Actel I have yet to make the long trip down to warm Mexican waters, so for now I will keep my hot water and warm showers.
There are benefits and negatives to both approaches. I have both a manual pump system (for salt water) and a pressure system on board. I prefer foot pumps, but the pressure system works fine and has largely been trouble-free.

I have had to replace pumps twice. Once was a self-inflicted wound of poor winterizing on my part. The other was when a pressure switch went (I probably could have replaced the switch, but it was easier to swap out the whole pump).

I also destroyed a manual pump once by sucking up dirty, gritty water. Neither option is maintenance or 100% perfect all the time. But using a manual pump system on board does not mean one is “camping.”
Old 19-01-2019, 16:53   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Another option (maybe):

We have only foot pumps at the sinks, and no hot water boiler. But we do have a pressure pump which is plumbed to the indoor shower via a propane flash heater, and also to the sugar scoop shower tap. This gives us the hot shower when needed, the rinse-off after swimming and yet keeps the simplicity and economy of water inherent in the foot pumps for most usage.

We could fairly easily plumb into the pressure system for all uses but choose not to. This has worked for 16 years of full time cruising in this boat, and no, it ain't "just camping".

Mike O... one interpretation of the phrase " we don't want to be camping..." is "we are unwilling to give up our self indulgent and wasteful life style even when we are on our boat". I used to go camping in the distant past. It was less comfortable than sailing even on our 22 foot trailer sailor... no bunk to sleep in, no loo, no little galley, no really waterproof place to get out of the rain, no way to avoid mud and so on. Our later boats each improved upon that level of comfort etc, despite not having many of the items that folks say elevate you above "camping" status.

Jim
Old 19-01-2019, 17:22   #48

Boat: Colegate 26

I am currently enjoying my pressurized water, but it hasn't broken on me yet. If/when that happens I might have a different opinion.

I definitely miss the foot pump in the galley on my friend's boat. A "third hand" to turn the water on and off is rather helpful.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 17:44   #49

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Mike O... one interpretation of the phrase " we don't want to be camping..." is "we are unwilling to give up our self indulgent and wasteful life style even when we are on our boat". I used to go camping in the distant past. It was less comfortable than sailing even on our 22 foot trailer sailor... no bunk to sleep in, no loo, no little galley, no really waterproof place to get out of the rain, no way to avoid mud and so on. Our later boats each improved upon that level of comfort etc, despite not having many of the items that folks say elevate you above "camping" status.

Jim
You beat me to it, Jim - your interpretation of the phrase and your examples of what camping is.

Mr. cthoops and I have been cruising full-time on our Bristol 29.9. Composting head, no pressure water, no refrigerator. Despite what some people may think, this is not camping. Camping was carrying dirty dishes to a communal spigot to wash them, having to leave the tent and walk in the dark to the restroom (assuming there was one), no switch that automatically turned on a light (unless it was a switch on a flashlight), etc.

Even if I did believe I was currently “camping” on our boat, I’ll take camping any day over sitting behind a desk at work for 40+ hours/week.
Old 19-01-2019, 18:07   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
You beat me to it, Jim - your interpretation of the phrase and your examples of what camping is.

Mr. cthoops and I have been cruising full-time on our Bristol 29.9. Composting head, no pressure water, no refrigerator. Despite what some people may think, this is not camping. Camping was carrying dirty dishes to a communal spigot to wash them, having to leave the tent and walk in the dark to the restroom (assuming there was one), no switch that automatically turned on a light (unless it was a switch on a flashlight), etc.

Even if I did believe I was currently “camping” on our boat, I’ll take camping any day over sitting behind a desk at work for 40+ hours/week.
amen to that.
Old 19-01-2019, 18:16   #51

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I enjoy getting out there, being out there, for the simplicity and the freedom of that simplicity. Anything that complicates things seems to defeat the purpose to my way of thinking. The simplicity is the the luxury, for me anyway. As a river guide for 25 years I've done a lot of camping and I loved it... and my 29 little feet of space is pure luxury camping.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 18:47   #52

Jim/Cthoops

Those who casually toss around the “camping” term clearly have no idea what actual camping is really like. Almost no cruising level boat I’ve ever seen could be considered camping.

I love camping. I’ve spent plenty of time in tents in the far back country of Canada. My boat — almost any cruising boat — is luxury compared to this.
Old 19-01-2019, 19:33   #53

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

It's more "glamping" then camping
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 20:10   #54

Lots of good suggestions for systems here, thanks guys.

One thing I didn't consider was my 2 part 0.3 micron drinking water filter probably wouldn't work with a foot pump, but maybe I can hook up some kind of combo system as a lot of people have done here.

I was also going to roll my eyes at all the people saying that not having pressure water automatically means you are living in squalor but the few posts above me already beat me to it.
Old 19-01-2019, 20:15   #55

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
one interpretation of the phrase " we don't want to be camping..." is "we are unwilling to give up our self indulgent and wasteful life style even when we are on our boat".

Jim

So if “camping” is a slur now, what do we call Jim’s hypocrisy?
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 20:27   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Lots of good suggestions for systems here, thanks guys.

One thing I didn't consider was my 2 part 0.3 micron drinking water filter probably wouldn't work with a foot pump, but maybe I can hook up some kind of combo system as a lot of people have done here.

I was also going to roll my eyes at all the people saying that not having pressure water automatically means you are living in squalor but the few posts above me already beat me to it.

On our previous boat we had a Jabsco filter that boasted carbon and silver something or other in it's blurb for the cartridge. It uses a proprietary filter cartridge that is one piece filter and housing. A really cool feature was that the filter cartridge can be removed, and valves automatically adjust to allow water to bypass the filter without any physical need to disconnect it. This worked fine on a foot pump system and we never had any problems. When we got the new boat with the pressure system, I installed one of these same filters straight away because there was no existing filter installed. Well, we lost all our tankage of water, a week from the nearest refill source because a hose clamp on the filter failed in rough weather with the engine running and we didn't know the pressure system was running until the bilge alarm went off. Fortunately we had a 20 litre jerry of emergency water aboard and it rained one day so were also able to get a small quantity of water back in the tanks. But I digress. A while afterwards, the filter itself ruptured under the pressure of the water supply. Fortunately the valve system allowed the filter cartridge to be removed and bypassed. To cut a long story short, a "proper" carbon filter is now used.

So on a long winded way, there are filters that work fine with manually pumped water. TBH, I suspect even conventional filters will be ok, too.
Old 19-01-2019, 21:09   #57
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
... So on a long winded way, there are filters that work fine with manually pumped water. TBH, I suspect even conventional filters will be ok, too.

Please specify an NSF 53 rated filter (not just granular carbon or particle filters) that will remove cysts and will work with a hand pump. I'm looking for one. All that I am aware are designed for >40 psi pressure.
Old 19-01-2019, 21:57   #58
cruiser

I don’t feel that it’s “wasteful” or “over-indulgent” to use a pressure water system to use as much water as one pleases, especially if one has the means to keep the tanks filled by using a watermaker. Sometimes we make over 100 gallons per day and enjoy showers, etc without a care regarding rationing. And why not? We’re surrounded by billions of gallons of salt water just waiting to be converted.

My wife and I spent many years backpacking and camping, so we associate behaviors which involve rationing with camping, where we had to carefully monitor our water use, how much food to carry in, how many clothes to bring along, etc. We don’t want any of these concerns while on our boat while trying to enjoy ourselves, we want it to be more like our house..... only nicer with a better view.

We don’t work as hard as we do to go camping like when we were in our twenties. Not that there’s anything wrong with camping, which we enjoyed very much at the time and still do occasionally.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 22:36   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Please specify an NSF 53 rated filter (not just granular carbon or particle filters) that will remove cysts and will work with a hand pump. I'm looking for one. All that I am aware are designed for >40 psi pressure.

I was speaking about filters in general. But possible solutions for your problem are either a high pressure foot pump or filters installed in parallel. Other than that, NFI.
Old 20-01-2019, 03:31   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post

I couldn't agree more, like camping as a method of getting out in the woods and experiencing nature, going out on a boat is the same thing. For me, and I'm not projecting this on anyone else, not having conveniences only enhances the experience, I'm on the water to experience the water not take showers or do dishes.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water