Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 03:58   #76

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Pressure water - overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I've just finished an article on stuff I've bought that I liked and stuff that I wish I hadn't got - and pressure water was on the 'wish I didn't have it' list.

I figure this will be a bit controversial so decided to ask others about it - I wish I'd ripped the whole shebang out and replaced it with a freshwater and a saltwater footpump.

When I got the boat 5 years ago I thought it'd be essential but it's turned out to be a huge pain.

- way higher chance of leaks
- uses way more water
- pumps seem to break fairly often (every couple of years, even the expensive ones)
- I don't shower on the boat anyway - in marinas I use the shower then and cruising I either solar shower or go for a swim.
- Don't really use the hot water either - washing up I use seawater, or cold freshwater.
- plumbing is the worst job on the boat and the less of it I have the better (have a composter for pretty much that reason)

Anyone here not have pressure water and glad of it? I've met quite a few people who don't have it, and not one of them wishes they did.
We have it, and would not be without it. Has worked perfectly for seven seasons, and I see not reason why it will not continue to do so.

When/if there is a problem with the pump, I have a spare that will swap over in well under 10 minutes (quick-connect JG fittings, and a single electrical connector). Leaks - none, and with the flex hose used, I expect that not to change either.
Done properly, it is no different to house plumbing - issues are very rare.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 06:58   #77

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Totally agree, except maybe if there are five staterooms and a 2-dingy garage. The pressure line to the head leaked and I disconnected it. ELLA has engine-heated hot water and I haven't seen just how to connect that to a foot pump, but it shouldn't be hard. I also keep the seacock for the galley seawater foot pump shut. Hopefully I can find seawater outside with a bucket. Finally, when I have enough fresh water I use a bit to flush the head because it seems to keep odors down. Otherwise I get some sea water and keep the seacock shut.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 07:08   #78

We have had pressurized water on several boats for the last 15 years. we are not live aboard and we dont want to camp. boating is weekend glamping. we have several friends who cruise with us for weekends and weeks at a time. When in the marina, they connect their water systems directly to shore water. This bypasses the water pump and allows for "forever showers" and unlimited use of water. No need to fill the tanks while at the dock.
This makes sense and we will probably install this. We have only heard rave reviews from our fellow boaters who frequent docks for overnights.
paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 07:20   #79
CLOD

Boat: none

Pressure water is NOT overrated, pressure water is GREAT!!!!!!!
Old 25-01-2019, 08:41   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox View Post
We have had pressurized water on several boats for the last 15 years. we are not live aboard and we dont want to camp. boating is weekend glamping. we have several friends who cruise with us for weekends and weeks at a time. When in the marina, they connect their water systems directly to shore water. This bypasses the water pump and allows for "forever showers" and unlimited use of water. No need to fill the tanks while at the dock.
This makes sense and we will probably install this. We have only heard rave reviews from our fellow boaters who frequent docks for overnights.
I see one issue with what your friends do with hooking up to the " city" water . All it takes is for one leak to sink your boat fast. We lost 3 boats in a local marina in the last couple years for that same reason. Thankfully no loss of life.
Old 25-01-2019, 08:44   #81

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

Used “shurFlo” for years - no probs - good pressure
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 09:37   #82

Boat: CLC Skerry

My dream vessel (a 32 ft. cutter, which exists only in my head) has a 5-10 gallon day tank up under the cockpit combing that gravity-feeds the galley sink. The day tank is filled from the main fresh water tank using a whale gusher plumbed to also be an emergency bilge pump.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 10:30   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
My dream vessel (a 32 ft. cutter, which exists only in my head) has a 5-10 gallon day tank up under the cockpit combing that gravity-feeds the galley sink. The day tank is filled from the main fresh water tank using a whale gusher plumbed to also be an emergency bilge pump.
Designing boats in your head is a great exercise .

However, pressurised water, which is what your gravity tank will supply, is a drawback rather than advantage in the galley in many circumstances. You need one hand free to operate a tap.

My advice would be to ditch the complication of the gravity fed tank and feed the galley with a foot pump. This will be simpler, and it will ultimately work better.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 16:31   #84

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I must say, I'm a bit surprised how many feel pressure water is a must-have. Truly these are the days of large boats and huge tanks and water makers... ah one can only dream...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 16:46   #85

Boat: Caliber 47

Quite frankly I can’t imagine living on a boat and operating a foot pump or sitting in the cockpit with someone dumping a bucket of water on my head.

Water pumps and their accompanying systems are redicicusally simple. I bought my boat partially because of its 275 gallon water capacity and added a water maker....would connect a fire hose if I thought it would help!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 17:02   #86

Boat: Casacde 36

Have both. Foot pumps for fresh and salt water in the galley. Doesn't require that much work and it's simple. Pressure in the head basin, rarely used. We only carry 70 gals so can't afford any accidental waste.
Skippered a charter boat, a guest didn't quite turn off the shower properly; couldn't hear the pump cycling, emptied the tank while we were ashore. Expensive refill, but not a big problem when close to a source. Offshore, it would have been disastrous, so we turn off the pump breaker.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 17:18   #87

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Better to have something and not want it than to want it and not have it.

I have both.... the pressure pump was replaced at 20 something years when the diaphragm failed and parts were unobtainable.

The diaphragm on the Whale foot pump failed at about the same time.... did you know when that happens - depending on your layout - your entire FW supply can gravitate into the bilge? I have under settee FW tanks.... pump is - not unsurprisingly - at foot level.

Rubber stuff will fail eventually..... the magic number was about 22 years for me... the 'year of the pump'.

My routine is simple.... at sea the pressure pump is off unless it is monthly ( just kidding ) shower day.....

In port it tends to stay on.. at least through the day.

No way am I showering in the cockpit out of a bucket....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0443.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	184500  
Old 25-01-2019, 18:56   #88

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Horses for courses, I like my Fynspray pumps, they work well, never give trouble and are a pleasure to look at. No pressure water for me!
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 19:11   #89

How about a hybrid: pressure water, which I am enjoying, and a foot controlled valve?
Agprice272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water