Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 11:06   #1

Boat: Rafiki 35
Pressurized kerosene

Does anyone know if there are replacement parts out there for pressurized kerosene stoves? I have an old shipmate and the burners look pretty bad.
Dalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:13   #2

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Pressurized kerosene

I would love to find parts as well. I am running out of spares.
Old 07-08-2015, 15:59   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I have purchased kero burner parts from these guys in the past and was happy with their service. Their stock varies and you may have to wait for some parts.
base-camp.co.uk

I note there are burners occasionally on fleabay.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 15:59   #4

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2015, 16:56   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Try these guys for parts: Kerosene Burner 207

Also bought parts for Primus stove from FOGAS in Sweden. Their website is in Sverige but they read English if you email them. Checked their website out and don't know how much they are supporting Kerosene now. Most of what I found on the site looked to be Propane/Butane stuff so they may have gotten away from kerosene stuff. It's been years since I ordered from them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 17:26   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Try these guys for parts: Kerosene Burner 207

Nice link and the burners look good and German made.
Thanks.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 18:34   #7

Describe “bad”.

Looks don’t mean too much on a primus burner. Your burners are Primus 207B.
If you use very clean fuel and don’t burn them too hot these burners go and go.
Some of the issues I have found over the years and what you can do to fix them:
Don’t ever take the burner off the base! If it is leaking you need to go there and perhaps if you need a real boil it out cleaning of the inside of the burner(see below) but don’t pull a good seal apart. Most people screw up the threads and the bases are actually harder to find(read impossible) than the burners. It’s a special metric thread too and few machine shops will cut it. I bore out the bad base and slip a threaded sleeve into the base and solder.
The washers that seal the burner to the priming cup and then to the base are special material that takes the high temperature of the priming fluid. Regular faucet washers don’t get it. If you get lucky and it all lines up right you can use annealed copper washers but they don’t have sufficient crush to align the base with the burner. You can always mill a little tiny bit off the top of the base to get a good alignment without overtightening. You can use a spark plug washer too, but they will always corrode and fail in time.
Keep the nipple clean. If no gas comes out its obvious but the more common issue is burning with a little yellow on one side or the other-- it needs cleaning. You don’t absolutely need the pricker in the burner but they work sometimes. Get some .007 music wire and use this to clean nipples. Don’t try to clean a nipple by scraping off the top! You may never get a pricker or a wire through it again.
Don’t force the burner closed to get it to turn off. If it dribbles when turned gently to the right you need to fix. Often you can repair by taking it all apart, use a little super fine valve grind compound on the end of the needle and spin it lightly against the valve seat, being careful to keep it centered. Go just a little at a time. Flush with brake cleaner and compressed air when done.
Use a pencil eraser to pull the pricker out the tip after removing the nipple. Count the clicks on the needle, should be 4 or 5 and put it back the in the same place. Note the position on the knob before you pull it apart and make sure it comes back to the same spot.
You need a wrench for the nipples. You can make a pretty good one out of a brass 1/8 pipe nipple and some needle files. Crush and file to get a good fit. The nipple does not have to be real tight in the burner but if it has been in the burner a long time it needs a little extra torque to break it loose.
To put the nipple back in the burner you can use a little paper towel or toilet paper to wedge the nipple in the tool so it won’t fall out when turned upside down. Get a pair of long tweezers that will reach down into the burner and grab a loose nipple or pricker.
If they should break a seam open they can be re-soldered with silver solder.
If they clog up due to dirty fuel I have resurrected burners by taking all the parts out and gently heating the exterior with oxyacetylene. Get it just right and it burns out the inside like a lighting off a bottle rocket! Too much heat and you melt the solder so be careful.
Some parts are available from time to time as well as some new burners. Supposed to be some burners now made in India but I have not seen one. The Patria burner was made in Portugal and is a good burner.
USA: A & H Packstoves
GB: Basecamp

Good luck.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 18:45   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

At Brendan's isle, the mail forwarding folks, distribute for Taylor in the U.S. I have bought whole new burners from them.

Base camp is good.

Not previously noted is ..
Taylors Cooker Spares - Spares Marine

They also ship to the U.S.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 19:48   #9

Recommend you call A and H Enterprises. I got three repair kits for my pressurized kerosene stove from them earlier this year. They are knowledgeable and will make sure you get exactly what you need.

Optimus : A & H Enterprises, A & H Enterprises is the only North American service center for Optimus and Svea stoves.

Might also be useful to visit St. Paul's Mercantile at Pressure Lantern and Parts. They have the wrenches and gaskets/seals you will need for the rebuild and recurring maintenance.

saudade's advice re care with pricker position is spot-on...use care getting the gearing between the shaft and pricker correct (it's like a little rack and pinion gear).

Good luck.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:07   #10

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Well bad may be the vertical risers chuck full of carbon deposits. I had one that would hardly burn and both risers were blocked. I managed to clear one side, but the other is still partially blocked, The unit does work now.

I also have a unit that the weldment under the head developed a pin hole and would spray a vapor trail to the side with corresponding smell.

They do go bad. Of course the unit is 40+ years old.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:39   #11

I gave up. I ordered an origo 3000. Anybody want a shipmate kerosene stove? I can't get it to light.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:40   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You could try to advertise it here.

Or...if you want the simple solution I'll take it.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:47   #13

Hpeer I posted an ad but if we can't sell it you can definitely have it. I'm in the Philadelphia area so once we bring it home it won't be hard for you to get it.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by um saudade View Post

Looks don’t mean too much on a primus burner. Your burners are Primus 207B. ...
Thanks, saudade, for your very detailed and useful post. I have a Taylors model 30 kero stove with oven. Love it but I am very very careful and do not let others use the stove since most seem to have a hard time starting it properly because they don't babysit the alcohol prestart and they let it cool so there's a big kero flame upon startup. Waste of the prestart of course and has to be done again--but there's soot in my stove from those sorts of things and I tire of cleaning it up. Thus--I am the stove person aboard. On passages that means that while I'm asleep others drink coffee from the stanley thermos I prepared before going off watch.
Old 10-08-2015, 13:46   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Finally got my Wife primus certified, but not before she ruined a burner with a propane torch trying to light it!

They are a bit fiddly but work a champ once sorted out.

I think that's why they are not more popular, folks want more apparent simplicity.

Our surveyor insisted we place a placard next to the cooker with operating instructions. Just more proof is his "qualifications."