Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2021, 18:41   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Prevent run-a-way halyard

So I think we are talking about a halyard that had no stopper knot, and while was still long enough to reach the deck when the sail was doused, it was allowed to run up the mast (maybe someone pulled down on the halyard after the sail was doused.) Personally I have the line going to a block to the cockpit, but when I cleated it on the mast I kept the bitter end with a knot in a fairlead, just to avoid this kind of thing. But if I had a mast length of extra line on the halyard, I could see having the stopper a mast length up the halyard, but that's a lot of extra unnecessary line. You could put the stopper knot up higher, but then there is the risk someday you may need to wrap the line and knot around the winch and that may not go well. The knot won't be adding weakness to the line because it is never under a load. (The knot has to be on the downstream side of the winch certainly when the sail is up. I would eschew having a knot in the halyard under a load. Besides, imagine THAT banging on the mast in the anchorage.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 18:46   #17

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Stopper balls are a common way to prevent halyard run away.
Slide the ball over the halyard to rest just above the shackle.
This will prevent the shackle entering the sheave box and jamming.

If you are tying the halyard to the headboard with a knot then get a shackle.
Like this:
Old 19-08-2021, 18:50   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Apparently the OP is talking about using a temporary knot to join the halyard to the head of the sail, losing control of the halyard with the sail lowered and the knot untied and somehow having the halyard haul itself all the way back up and into the mast.

I find it difficult to imagine how that can happen, but clearly there are several problems with the setup.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 18:53   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Apparently the OP is talking about using a termopary knot to join the halyard to the head of the sail, losing control of the halyard with the sail lowered and the knot untied and somehow having the halyard haul itself all the way back up and into the mast.

I find it difficult to imagine how that can happen, but clearly there are several problems with the setup.
Ah, I was under the impression when he said "back side" he was referring to forward side of the mast. (As in opposite the mainsail)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 19:15   #20

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Apparently the OP is talking about using a termopary knot to join the halyard to the head of the sail, losing control of the halyard with the sail lowered and the knot untied and somehow having the halyard haul itself all the way back up and into the mast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ah, I was under the impression when he said "back side" he was referring to forward side of the mast. (As in opposite the mainsail)
A clear case demonstrating the value of standard nautical vocabulary.

I, similar to Don C L, had no understanding of the situation the OP was describing.

Thanks to Stu M for clarifying.
Old 19-08-2021, 19:38   #21

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

All our halyards have stop knots behind the clutches. Being often lightest I’ve gone up too many masts to fish halyards. Not doing mine too. Even the sunfish sheet has a stop knot since that’s run through too many times.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 22:55   #22

Boat: Najad 373
Prevent run-a-way halyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
the should be a knot on the bitter end of all halyards.

I had that in my early days with the new to me boat, but twice the knot on the main halyard got stuck in the companionway (the bitter end always goes there when the main is up). That led me to think it should not occur as there could be emergency need to douse the main. So no knot on the main and spi halyards, just making sure to have enough length to not get through the clutch for a start.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 02:58   #23

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
??

This is a main sail. Unlike a chute or free flying reacher, you would never wish the halyard to run all the way out (assuming the tail is long enough so that the sail can be lowered to the deck). There is no such circumstance, other than replacing the halyard. For that reason, the end stopper is loose and easily untied. And you have a knife handy, right?

Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other. Or you are quoting a rule that isn't actually a rule.
Little Wing has a policy based on preventing harm to crew on board in the event of an emergency and it is based on an experience. We had a halyard let go by an inexperienced crew member and yes it was a pain to re-reeve but nobody got hurt so I am all for the policy.
Old 20-08-2021, 05:42   #24

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Used to have stopper knots. Was sailing in a storm 2 years ago (not purposely). Winds suddenly increased to 60-ish knots. I had a postage stamp of jib out, but were hard over anyway. Couldn't furl the jib the rest of the way needed to get the boat upright. I let the jib sheet out, except when the stopper knot got caught in the cheek block at the stern, the situation got worse since the jib was now untrimmed and caught. Used my knife and cut the jib sheet. From that point on........no stopper knots.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard