Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 16:32   #391
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Prices not going down??

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
WOW -I started a thread that has had over 2400 views and hundreds of comments----maybe I 'hit' the collective mind??
Or maybe just the:
Cup half full / half empty measure of a person's psyche.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 16:38   #392
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
WOW -I started a thread that has had over 2400 views and hundreds of comments----maybe I 'hit' the collective mind??

Nah, forumites just like to argue politics ad nauseam. I tend to avoid threads with more than about 200 posts, since they have nearly always wondered off into the woods.
Old 12-04-2020, 20:05   #393
cruiser

My current 'take' is that this Pandemic has not yet lowered prices on 30+ used sailboats. Maybe later.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 20:24   #394

Quote:
Dear Sailors, The $ dollar is supposed to be "KING" stocks have collasped, interest rates at all time lows, gold is down, the dollar is up UP on all currencies worldwide , the euro is headed for par with the dollar, the pound is way down too, oil is down 53% in 2 weeks. Yet marine stuff is same old high price. Defenders big sale is pathetic usually offering around 10-15% off a fake list price. Used sailboats are still way up there too and asking prices are the same. Why is this ? Is every seller hoping beyond hope OR is their business still doing great with old prices?
The stock market reacts immediately. The dollar is about where it was 6 mo ago. As to Defender’s sale MSRP is often discounted already before sales. If Defender doesn’t move their inventory to the levels they want they will discount even more. In the past 2 weeks I got offers from Catamaran mfgs one reducing a boat by $365,000! The other by about $100,000.

Once owners start to believe we are in a recession they will choose to either lower their prices or wait it out. There will be less available money so they will have to compete for that money. If they wait they will have to accept they will be paying for slip, maintenance, insurance for a few years. Then consider the boat will be a few years older. Taking those factors in that may induce some to lower their prices.

For myself i have seen a boat that has recently been lowered to a pretty fair price based on last falls economy. When I can travel i will make an offer well below his price. All cash may help.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 22:24   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Hmmm priorities........
There is not much competition in the marine electronics industry. Prices are artificially inflated.
karle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 17:24   #396
cruiser

another 'take' 3 weeks later says prices not going down. 'take' is gaged from CW Boats for Sale and Florida Craigslist ads.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 17:28   #397

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Exactly. As someone with an ad up, I can say demand went way, WAY up. People realized what’s important in life.

Beating them off with a stick so I can sell the boat around August and use it for quarantine for a bit before selling.

I’m seeing a steady and real 3-4 new inquiries a day, even after filtering out scammers and low ballers.

Many wanting to buy cash immediately.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 18:38   #398

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Exactly. As someone with an ad up, I can say demand went way, WAY up. People realized what’s important in life.

Beating them off with a stick so I can sell the boat around August and use it for quarantine for a bit before selling.

I’m seeing a steady and real 3-4 new inquiries a day, even after filtering out scammers and low ballers.

Many wanting to buy cash immediately.
Have not heard any similar stories. What are you selling?

Generally boats are not selling.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 18:47   #399

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Have not heard any similar stories. What are you selling?

Generally boats are not selling.
rich are flocking to NZ bunkers, so maybe worse is yet to come. Boats may be considered good alternative to bunkers.

In case people viewing them like this, prices will not decrease until corona resolved. After that, likely down due to economic carnage.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 19:15   #400

Boat: Still building

The online numbers of total boats available for sale on Gumtree Oz) is still going down. Less than 800 boats available for sale.

Normally, at this time of year, numbers would be still over 1000.

Generally, mid-winter (southern hemisphere) is when it bottoms out. We are still in autumn (fall).

My hesitant 'conclusion' is that sellers have retired from the market to 'wait it out'.

Mostly what's left are the high-priced boats that don't sell quickly anyway.

Also had a quick look at CL Seattle and Vancouver (one of my occasional 'pice check' searches) and it appears numbers/volumes are down there as well. But I'm not on there often enought to be certain. It's just a 'feeling'....

YMMV
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 19:20   #401

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
another 'take' 3 weeks later says prices not going down. 'take' is gaged from CW Boats for Sale and Florida Craigslist ads.
I am watching YW for a while and keeping record on catamarans i am interested in. Specially those in the 40+/- feet range.

Acctually there are a few new entries on 2-6 year old boats with a comparebly low entry asking price. Talking Bali 4.0, Nautitech Open 40 and Lagoon 39. A 2014 Open 40 is listed for 200.000€. A 2017 and a 2018 Bali 4.0 at 250k. Some Leopards and Lagoons at around 210k.

I would consider those asking prices as a fair entry point to start negotiations.

Keep in mind that, at the moment, it is almost impossible to travel around the world and get a closer look at a couple of candidates. Sellers might wait until this is possible again and might want to drop asking prices a bit when borders open again...

John
Old 26-04-2020, 19:44   #402
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Madi - Papa, pull my finger.

Papa - Absolutely not.

Madi - C'mon papa pull my finger.

Papa - NO ! where do you learn this stuff ?

Madi - Awww, Papa

Papa - Oh, ok. (pulls finger) .......... Nothing happened.

Madi - (an 8 yr. old sly smile) ... Wait for it .....

Boat price drop, same answer.
Old 26-04-2020, 19:53   #403

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
I am watching YW for a while and keeping record on catamarans i am interested in. Specially those in the 40+/- feet range.

Acctually there are a few new entries on 2-6 year old boats with a comparebly low entry asking price. Talking Bali 4.0, Nautitech Open 40 and Lagoon 39. A 2014 Open 40 is listed for 200.000€. A 2017 and a 2018 Bali 4.0 at 250k. Some Leopards and Lagoons at around 210k.

I would consider those asking prices as a fair entry point to start negotiations.

Keep in mind that, at the moment, it is almost impossible to travel around the world and get a closer look at a couple of candidates. Sellers might wait until this is possible again and might want to drop asking prices a bit when borders open again...

John
Hurricane specials? Seen a fair few around the caribbean so far.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 20:07   #404

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
rich are flocking to NZ bunkers, so maybe worse is yet to come. Boats may be considered good alternative to bunkers.
The bunker thing is a bit of a red herring. If you make an official information act request to the appropriate local councils, you can quickly find out that none of them have consented any kind of underground bunker for years.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 20:43   #405

Boat: Alan Payne "Koonya" design 39'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The bunker thing is a bit of a red herring. If you make an official information act request to the appropriate local councils, you can quickly find out that none of them have consented any kind of underground bunker for years.
Only a complete loony would dive into a bunker in NZ... the shaky Isles. The bunker is likely to get buried even further into the ground... NZ is earthquake central.
pt49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price