Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2020, 07:26   #16

Boat: Beneteau 331
Re: Problems with Predictwind in Lake Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolson View Post
What would be best is to contact our support desk who would be very happy to help you resolve this.
I did not intend to start a dispute. I am having a problem with wind prediction and looking for a solution.

As you suggested, I have contacted PredictWind's customer services.

I'll be happy to report back with the solution and the results.

Regards,

Tmacmi
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 19:23   #17

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch
Re: Problems with Predictwind in Lake Michigan

I have kept my Alberg 30 on anchor(s) for several seasons, shifting around to different anchorages as needed. I am astounded at the inaccuracy of wind forecasts, and have set myself to pay very close attention so that I may learn to know when I should be careful.

I always assume wind to be 1.5 or 2x stronger than the forecast, especially when out of the western directions (SW, W, NW).

When the forecast is for "variable" or "calm", and has been sunny, there will be convection currents that will drive onshore breezes during the day and that will almost always reverse overnight.

If there is precip happening around, these cells will produce wind, and if these cells are thunderstorms (the pop-up kind, that build during the day and by afternoon storms are rolling by) they are going to suck air into them around the surface. You are better off to be referencing the radar. remember the Coriolis effect: in the northern hemisphere wind turns right as it tries to flow toward a low pressure area. This is very accurate and has solved the mystery during high pressure times, and I can predict the wind pretty well.

Also this type of radar which gives an idea of the velocity of the wind, is extremely valuable. https://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite...t=N0V&loop=yes
I'd definitely read the "how to read velocity radar" in the FAQ link on the bottom left of the page I posted a link to above. These help me greatly. the great lakes are a nightmare to predict. A 5 to 10 knot N wind often ends up being 15-20, and a "calm night" can bring strong clocking or backing winds around storms that can be of significant force.
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind