Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 23:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 50
Public Notary - Turkey

I am currently in Turkey (English Harbour) and need an Affidavit which is in English signed and witnessed by a public notary. I have read that

"A Turkish notary is not entitled to notarise documents in a foreign language

In opposition to most European legislations the Turkish Notary Law forbids to notarise documents in a language other than Turkish. While in England or Germany it is possible for the notary to simply legalise a signature and ignore the foreign language text under which it is appended, this is impossible in Turkey. "

Has anyone out there managed to get documents notarised in English and recommend where I can get this done?

Thanks
Caroline Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 05:51   #2

Re: Public Notary - Turkey

Hi,
I've been a longtime lurker but having spent a lot of time in that region (on land) I figured I'd finally bite the bullet and join so that i can throw my $.02 out there.

I've had tons of things notarized in Bulgaria and if you were closer to the border I could recommend someone. In BG we'd just get translated copies and signed both of them and they'd stamp both of them without a problem. Depending on the document and what it is for an officially translated copy might be a option. With a little luck or some baksheesh they might notarize both the original and the translation ;-) Or the party on the other end needing it notarized might accept the official translation as being notarized. I dont know what it is for but the US State department accepted a signed official translation and copy as notarized when I sent the wrong copy ;-)

Other than that though I'm out of ideas. I doubt you'll want to hear this,but we needed a notarized document (bill of sale) to bring a camper back to Bulgaria and we went through hell trying to get it. To me it seemed (on land) that once we passed through Istanbul things got exponentially worse and the amount of red tape increased tenfold. We weren't able to get documents notarized in English or Bulgarian and it didnt matter who tried,they were equally rude and obtuse no matter what. My Bulgarian friend even speaks some Turkish that got us nowhere. It was so bad we threw in the towel and had to fly in my friends future brother in law who speaks Turkish. Apparently what happened to us is pretty common in the smaller towns. They try to beat you down till you offer an obscene amount of money or say the hell with it and leave the vehicle there :-(
Hopefully you have better luck on the water and most times the official translation will make it work. I forget how it was in Turkey but translation agencies in BG are licensed similar to a notary and most times they do both. Chances are they might've been trying to rope you into getting it translated too. ;-)

P.S. baksheesh usually works when all else fails
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 06:11   #3

ok thanks. Sounds like a nightmare. I initially thought I could just go to Greece, however I only left Greece 14 days ago and can not enter Greece again until 1 September as NZ citizens can only be in Greece for 90 days every 180. I left Greece exactly once my 90 days were up. Life always seems to have its challenges!
Old 18-06-2018, 08:11   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I have the same issue. Met a cruiser recently who has a lot of property in the USA and has had the need for a notary on occasion and said the USA would not recognize a foreign notary. I had originally planned to get it translated to Turkish and then try to get both notarized but not now.
You can try the local consulate or go to your embassy.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 11:16   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I dont know Turkey, but I have had a lot of experience getting documents notarized while in foreign countires. Most countries, including the USA, wont recognize a foriegn notary.

For USA notaries, the standard drill is to go to a USA Consulate and have the document notarized there. Quite inconvenient if not near a USA Consulate.

If you anticipate the need for this often, then you can set someone up back home with limited power of attorney to sign on your behalf. For example, I just closed a real estate deal that way.

Somewhat more questionable options:

Video Notaries: A notary watches you sign the document via a video call, you mail the doc to them and they notarize it. Ive done this for some less critical documents, but my attorney has advised against it for important stuff...in case it were ever challenged.

USA Notaries abroad. Some cruisers are notaries and sometimes offer this service. Legally questionable because they are of course not in their jurisdiction, but works.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 00:16   #6

Thanks, my lawyer is my power of attorney but can't sign court documents on my behalf. She advises any overseas notary is ok except of course Turkey. I'll ask her about video notary.
Old 19-06-2018, 04:15   #7

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Joan View Post
Has anyone out there managed to get documents notarised in English and recommend where I can get this done?

Thanks
Almost every UK or US consulate around the world will notarize signatures on almost any document. I have used these services many times in various countries.

That said, you have not provided a key bit of info to know if their notarization will be acceptable: Where are you going to use the document and for what? The answer to that will tell you if the consular notarization is OK.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 04:18   #8

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

If the document will be used in the UK you can have it notarized at the British Chamber of Commerce.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 04:48   #9

My Lawyer has now advised that:
Any “Commonwealth representative” can witness your affidavit – section10 Oaths and Declarations Act. That means: “any Ambassador, High Commissioner, Commissioner, Minister, Counsellor, Chargé d’Affaires, Head of Mission, Consular Officer, Pro-consul, Trade Commissioner, or Tourist Commissioner of a Commonwealth country (including New Zealand); and includes any person lawfully acting for any such officer; and also includes any diplomatic secretary on the staff of any such Ambassador, High Commissioner, Commissioner, Minister, Counsellor, Chargé d’Affaires, or Head of Mission” for any member of the British Commonwealth of Nations.

So if you can find a British, Canadian, Australian, or New Zealand etc embassy, they should have people able to witness your affidavit. (Any New Zealand lawyer can also witness the affidavit, if you happen to find one.)

So it looks like I'll have to go to Ankara to any commonwealth embassy, unless I can find one of the above closer to Oren - or a NZ lawyer just happens to be sailing my way in the next few days!

Thanks for your help
Old 19-06-2018, 05:12   #10

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Joan View Post
My Lawyer has now advised that:
Any “Commonwealth representative” can witness your affidavit – section10 Oaths and Declarations Act. That means: “any Ambassador, High Commissioner, Commissioner, Minister, Counsellor, Chargé d’Affaires, Head of Mission, Consular Officer, Pro-consul, Trade Commissioner, or Tourist Commissioner of a Commonwealth country (including New Zealand); and includes any person lawfully acting for any such officer; and also includes any diplomatic secretary on the staff of any such Ambassador, High Commissioner, Commissioner, Minister, Counsellor, Chargé d’Affaires, or Head of Mission” for any member of the British Commonwealth of Nations.

So if you can find a British, Canadian, Australian, or New Zealand etc embassy, they should have people able to witness your affidavit. (Any New Zealand lawyer can also witness the affidavit, if you happen to find one.)

So it looks like I'll have to go to Ankara to any commonwealth embassy, unless I can find one of the above closer to Oren - or a NZ lawyer just happens to be sailing my way in the next few days!

Thanks for your help
https://embassy-finder.com/united-kingdom_in_turkey
there are formal British consulates in Antalya and Izmir and honorary consulates in Izmir, Marmaris, Bodrum and Fethiye.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey