Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 07:29   #1

PVC rollup inflatable dinghy in Florida?

How would an economy priced ($500) roll up glued PVC dinghy hold up in South Florida heat & humidity? It would be kept out of the sun 99% of its life, so don't worry about UV.

These 3 by Saturn look like theyd fit my requirements of light, stowable, and $500ish.

https://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk396.asp

https://www.boatstogo.com/9.6-cheap-inflatable-boats-cb290.asp

https://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-catamaran-nc290.asp

FYI: I do not need any persuasion towards more expensive inflatables or rigid's. I already have a fishing skiff that works as my tender, I'm only considering a roll up as an auxiliary dinghy (for rare applications) because I already have a 5hp outboard that i am trying to decide whether to keep or sell.

I've read differing accounts of how the glue joints on PVC boats hold up in the heat/humidity. Seeking 1st hand experiences. Thanks
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: PVC rollup inflatable dinghy in Florida?

I'm in North Florida, and I wouldn't give it more than two years if it's exposed to the sun. On the other hand, given your goal for it, it's worth a try. Keep it clean, dry, and stowed in darkness when not in use. We had pretty bad luck with pure inflatables as dinghies, largely due to ultaviolet light, including the straps rotting. Your intended use is about the only conditions under which I would consider going back to one. We had an inflatable kayak in that class, but having the space to stow a rigid and sun resistant kayak on deck, we sold it.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:34   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

I've got a West Marine branded roll-up that's going on 20 years old but it's spent 99% of it's life in the dark confines of the aft berth.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 15:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I've got a West Marine branded roll-up that's going on 20 years old but it's spent 99% of it's life in the dark confines of the aft berth.
Interesting...of course So Cal doesn't have heat and humidity like Miami, and I've read those two factors can wreak havoc on the glue joints.
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 15:18   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
PVC rollup inflatable dinghy in Florida?

I had an 8’6” PVC inflatable from Boats to Go a dozen or so years ago. I kept it inflated and covered on a float in my slip. It lasted 6 or 7 years. Of course that was in Southern California but I suspect it is the sun not the humidity that would be a problem in Florida. Yes eventually it was the glue joint that were a problem. It was probably my fault for cleaning it with a cleanser containing bleach.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 17:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you keep it rolled up and out of the sun 99% of the time it might last a few years.

In your place I would get on Craigslist and buy a used hypalon. See lots of them, some for next to nothing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 18:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Hard use, 6 months. If glued seam maybe 5 years max in hot weather even if we'll covered. Floor will go first or transom attachment
Old 03-02-2020, 11:01   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Not all PVC is equal. I have a 2013 PVC air floor from West Marine. I used it for 5 seasons in CT/RI, then 12 months in the Caribbean uncovered, 6 months in the Bahamas and FL uncovered and it is like new. not sticky at all, except for the glued on Logo panel which is very sticky. So... it depends on the PVC
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 15:33   #9

Boat: Catalina 350

I live in the Whitsundays, in the hot and very humid tropical North Queensland here in Australia. I have yet to see a roll up on any of the hundreds of boats around here. Apart from the heat/humidity I would worry about the risk of coral tears here. Given you can get one so cheap over there it may be worth a punt (a bet not a vessel).
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, florida, inflatable