Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 11:49   #1

Boat: secondarily boatless
Question about Bahamas

Hi again,

we've finally made it into full cruising mode. We crossed the Atlantic in late December - quite a memorable experience for the two of us. Now we're working our way up the Caribbean chain towards the US. And the more I try to figure out the DomRep to Florida part the more confused I get. Hence my questions:

I bought a book showing Bahama harbors etc, but it does not give me any idea on how I go about getting there. Cornell has some recommendations, but I am still not clear. Can you only sail on the deep portions, i.e. mostly to windward, or can you also pass on the shallow side (our draught being about 1.35 m)?

Which paper chart would you recommend? I always want to have a non-electronic backup.

Timing - we want to be close enough to 30°N by the end of May. Is there a recommended time for doing this part of our journey?

Any serious answers will be appreciated - with greetings from Guadeloupe...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 12:45   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Question about Bahamas

Most people prefer the Explorer Chartbooks, but they might be hard for you to get a hold of where you're coming from. The NV-Charts are very good. A good cruising guide (like Waterway Guide, Pavlidis, Dodge) will help you make sense of the harbors. Once you get past the eastern out islands (up to Long Is., Exuma, Cat Island) it gets a lot easier with many harbors, cuts (watch out for the rage on the bar), and long sections on the protected banks side deep enough for almost any vessel. Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 12:48   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

To head to 30 N the window is from mid April. I did it two years ago and there was no window till beginning of June, so dont be too fixed in your dates.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:18   #4

I can't answer your big picture question, but I'll give you this tip: Don't be tempted to anchor off the north end of Crooked Island in the Bahamas. There is at least one cruiser's guide that shows a good anchorage near Landrail Point. Sometimes it is a good anchorage, but just as often it is awful, especially in the timeframe you are considering. I've seen too many poor soul seek refuge from rough condtions asea only to get thrashed there. More than once we've seen part of the crew abandon ship and fly home after spending a few days taking a beating while anchored there.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:57   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Oliver, You should be able to find charts for the Bahamas in Luperon, there are usually plenty of cruisers there. You might have to settle for copies, but they will be better than nothing. Or you can buy Explorer Charts and have them shipped to you with little problem. In the DR we found DHL to be the best to have anything shipped. NOAA charts will give you an overall picture but little detail. Wavey Line makes excellent paper charts for the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos. You can contact them via their website, Wavey Line Charts | Modern charts for the modern navigator , to make arrangements to get charts to you. That is unless your already underway. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas