Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2020, 06:20   #1

Question about Mold. I think...

Hi All,
I am new here. I am not actually a boat owner although it has been my dream since childhood to have a small yacht.

I am hoping that you can help me as i imagine this is an issue that some of you could quite possibly encounter. I have a question about Mold.

I have just moved into an apartment in Germany and included in the apartments rent is a cellar room for storage. This is relative normal here. The building is shared by a Camera Gear shop that also has a storage room in the same cellar as my storage room is in.

Anyway the room was newly painted so it has this strange smell but its obviously not a musty or moldy smell, i know that smell from other cellars.

One day last week i was putting some stuff away into the built in wardrobes in the cellar and it looked like the doors were covered in some kind of mold. Everything is very dry though. But it is strange because all the doors of the built in wardrobe have these moldy looking marks and all of them on the bottom third of the door. Looks like lightly green/blue tinted tiny hairs. When i rub them they are totally dry and turn to dust on my finger. My partner thinks its dust but I'm not sure. Like i said, nothing smells moldy even the dust on my finger when i rub the stuff on the doors. I've posted some pictures and a video, please let me know what you think this is. I have a few old and important books and clothes down in that store room...

Ive posted a few photos. Pic 5 shows the wood where its "clean" so you see the texture of the wood - maybe it is dust???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	214069   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	214070  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	214071   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	214072  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	214073   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	214074  

jonah.harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 06:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Question about Mold. I think...

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jonah.

Blue mold, or bluish-green mold, is usually one of two types of mold, Penicillium or Aspergillus. They are some of the fastest growing molds (usually within 24 to 48 hours), and require very little moisture for their colonies to develop.
The color of a mold is not an indicator of a specific health hazard, but some species of Penicillium and Aspergillus are known to produce toxic compounds, called mycotoxins, that can be harmful to humans and animals alike. For this reason, all blue or blue-green molds should be considered to be a potential health risk.
You may be able to remove mold from non-porous surfaces like metal, glass, bathtubs, toilets, and tile floors with an antimicrobial cleaner.
It’s usually not possible to remove mold completely from porous surfaces, though, such as wood, drywall, ceiling tiles, insulation, and carpeting. Those materials will need to be contained and then removed from the home, taking great care in order to prevent spreading mold to other unaffected areas during the removal process. After the mold is completely removed, you can replace any materials that had to be discarded.
You should wear an N-95 rated full-face respirator, disposable clothing, that covers your head as well as your shoes (tyvek coveralls), and gloves (also recommend taping the gloves to your suit to help keep mold spores outside of your clothing), while cleaning up mold, in order to protect yourself from inhaling or coming into contact with any microscopic mold spores, which could cause serious health problems.
I recommend making an appointment for a free consultation, with an experienced mold remediation professional, who will come to your home, inspect the situation, and advise you about the remedial work, that needs to be done. Even if you end up deciding to tackle the job yourself, you will benefit from some free professional advice.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 06:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m betting mold, and I believe that may be a Schrank.
Many people will move into the basements during Summer for a month of so, unless things have changed.
I am a believer in Concorbian mold control, it’s the only thing I have found that really works, many have mixed up their own brews, it’s a simple thing with no bad chemicals. Main ingredient is washing soda.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 06:30   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Sounds and looks like mold to me. Perhaps it was damp in the past.

Wipe it down with Formula B. Do not increase the concentration and do not rinse off with plain water; the last wipe should be the same formula; this will prevent it's return. If desired, you can paint over the Formular B residue with latex paint; it will not interfere with adhesion.
Old 30-04-2020, 06:38   #5

I tried to post a video of that it looks like when i rub it. Its quite dry and turns into almost a dust/powder. Anyway i cant post videos here so i put it on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/user114285339/revi...980/7a2e1d91b8

Please let me know what you think, i have some important clothes and books there.
Old 30-04-2020, 07:39   #6

Thanks guys. Shouldn't there be a moldy smell? there isnt...

Also, here is a video of me rubbing the stuff...

https://vimeo.com/413581980
Old 30-04-2020, 09:41   #7

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi

https://www.concrobium.com/

John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 10:06   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah.harris View Post
Hi All,
I am new here. I am not actually a boat owner although it has been my dream since childhood to have a small yacht.

I am hoping that you can help me as i imagine this is an issue that some of you could quite possibly encounter. I have a question about Mold.

I have just moved into an apartment in Germany and included in the apartments rent is a cellar room for storage. This is relative normal here. The building is shared by a Camera Gear shop that also has a storage room in the same cellar as my storage room is in.

Anyway the room was newly painted so it has this strange smell but its obviously not a musty or moldy smell, i know that smell from other cellars.

One day last week i was putting some stuff away into the built in wardrobes in the cellar and it looked like the doors were covered in some kind of mold. Everything is very dry though. But it is strange because all the doors of the built in wardrobe have these moldy looking marks and all of them on the bottom third of the door. Looks like lightly green/blue tinted tiny hairs. When i rub them they are totally dry and turn to dust on my finger. My partner thinks its dust but I'm not sure. Like i said, nothing smells moldy even the dust on my finger when i rub the stuff on the doors. I've posted some pictures and a video, please let me know what you think this is. I have a few old and important books and clothes down in that store room...

Ive posted a few photos. Pic 5 shows the wood where its "clean" so you see the texture of the wood - maybe it is dust???
I would try a spray bottle of water with several drops of iodine.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 10:13   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post

Concrobium is very effective, but it is a grotesquely overpriced solution of approximately the following:

1 quart hot water
1 tablespoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2 tablespoons washing soda (sodium carbonate)
2 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (TSP)

It is less effective than the borax-based formula I suggested above (tested side-by-side), but forgot to give the link for:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...at-really-work
Old 30-04-2020, 10:36   #10

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

Be Smart. Have it tested before you treat it. You do not own the building. But. Make sure the testing agent is government approved and also the laboratory if separate. I believe bleach is a cure for most mold, but some require more aggressive treatment. Ventilation is key to stop recurrence. Also UV light may help a lot. Mold likes warm, damp, and dark...
Keep us posted on your situation. Mold happens a lot on boats. Usually responds to treatment, but vapors of some mold cause severe medical problems that are difficult to diagnose. Good Luck. Bleach treatment of surfaces may be short cut. 100 ppm available chlorine after soap and water and rinse... Ventilate dry. Test humidity and for source of humidity... There are photo system apps for that.
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:13   #11

You shouldn't be rubbing the "mold"!!!

Reread GordMay's post!! The mold spores may or may not be harmful to your health!!

It's generally recommended not to use bleach on porous surfaces because of the moisture it adds.

Get a professional or governmental assessment before you do anything or spend time in the cellar.

Reread GordMay's post!! The mold spores may or may not be harmful to your health!!
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 12:28   #12

Boat: None

Mold and mildew hates Borax. Which is cheap and safe as can be for humans. Gentle enough to put in your bath water. Mix up a sprayer full of borax water and dowse it. If you have athletes foot, spray your feet.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 16:31   #13

On the door? Obviously Covidoor 19.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
On the door? Obviously Covidoor 19.
<GROAN!>

Good one, Bilgewater.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:31   #15

And Jonah - Read GordMay's and thinwater's responses. They are both experts on this Forum and you'd be well-advised to pay attention to what they say. Neither would steer you wrong.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold