Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2019, 18:01   #1

Questions about black Iron Fuel Tanks

I'm interested in a Westsail 42 and here's the story. The original owner bought the boat as a hull and deck with black iron tanks and Perkins engine installed in 1975. It basically sat in a warehouse until 1999 when the second owner bought and finished the boat. The boat saw light use since 2001 (900 hrs on the engine). These tanks are not showing any signs of leaking, and are sitting up out of the bllge resting on floor timbers. The bad news is that there really is no access to these tanks with no inspection ports or access through cut-outs in the sole, or access through the engine room. If they leak, it'd be a major project to replace them. Here's my questions.

1. Is there any way to clean these tanks without an access port?

2. If I go forward with purchasing this boat should I invest in a fuel polishing system?

3. Other than buying good fuel, and keeping the tanks full, is there any other tricks for extending the life of these tanks?

4. Finally any Westsail 42/43 owners care to share their experience with thier original black iron fuel tanks? (Btw, I've looked at the WOA website and not found anything thus far).

Thanks.

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 18:21   #2

Re: Questions about black Iron Fuel Tanks

do you know if there is any corrosion protection on the tanks from

the outside... black iron isn't good in salt water... the diesel on the inside helps protect the inside..unless there is water in fuel..or condensation..

I don't think black iron would make a good fuel tank on a saltwater boat..

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 18:40   #3

I'm pretty sure the owner mentioned some kind of corrosion protection. I'll confirm. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenny64 View Post
do you know if there is any corrosion protection on the tanks from

the outside... black iron isn't good in salt water... the diesel on the inside helps protect the inside..unless there is water in fuel..or condensation..

I don't think black iron would make a good fuel tank on a saltwater boat..

-dkenny64
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 21:09   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Push an air hose down the filler and give the tank a good blast with high pressure air. If there is anything inside them some dust should blow out.

My old steel boat had untreated steel tanks built into the keel and without any inspection ports. Occasionally I would pump the bottoms from the tank using a piece of 1/2" copper pipe, filter and return the fuel to the tank. Worked OK for 30 years.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 08:31   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW...our 1989 Taswell had a black iron fuel tank in it. I had a single inspection port, but unless I unloaded all the fuel, could not see the bottom, and then could only see the center portion of the tank due to the baffles. After continuous salt water exposure in the tropics (Asia) I started to notice a little weeping at the bottom edges in 2011 (22yrs). By 2012 is was more than I wanted to see, and replaced it with a hi density close linked polypropylene tank. I owned the boat since 1998, had kept the fuel tank full and with biocide, and installed/used a fuel polisher system.....and we still had leaks. Turned out, when they cut the tank apart to get it out of the boat, most of the bottom welded seam had evidence of corrosion, as did some spots on the flat bottom floor. From my experience....plan on replacing the tank!
sailcrazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:05   #6

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

They used to encapsulate black iron with fiberglass. But the FG cracked and allow water inside the FG and tanks still rusted. Plan on a tank replacement someday soon.
Old 24-02-2019, 09:45   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

'Black iron' is a marketing scam. The tanks are mild steel and the black is paint. They will eventually rust out but it could be decades or months depending on whether salt water has gotten to them. If the tanks are mounted in areas that don't get moisture might not be a big thing. Not familiar with the W42 but the W32 tanks were somewhat easily removed but you needed to pull the engine to do it. With the removable cockpit sole, getting the engine out was relatively painless if anything to do with an engine could be painless.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 13:26   #8

Boat: Catalac 12 M

My day tanks needed replacement after 30 years. The were always full of diesel. I think due to condication over the years, the bottom turned to Swiss cheese and they needed replacement. Good luck
DrDelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 13:53   #9

I doubt it's black iron, as Rover says they are likely steel. If not accessible, hmmm, I'd worry a bit. If they were really black iron they would be great. If they are not in a part where wetness is an issue they may be fine. Access is important though. I suppose you could have ports put in them.
If "The bad news is that there really is no access to these tanks with no inspection ports or access through cut-outs in the sole..." means there are just no removeable floorboards, that is easily remedied.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 09:29   #10

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Yes, mild steel. And yes you will be replacing them they rust from the outside in.

I had to disassemble my cabinetry to remove and replace the port and starboard fuel tanks. Huge job, replaced them with fabricated stainless tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	186637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	186638  

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, tanks