Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2023, 16:35   #1

Questions On The Hard

Hi guys and gals!

Ok so this is the first time we will be putting our home on the hard for hurricane season. Hauling North of Norfolk in Chesapeake. We are a 50’ cat. We will service all engines, saildrives, genset, bottom paint and prop speed while out.

* Question 1 *
Dehumidify or AC?
We were considering a dehumidifier on the galley counter to drain out the galley sink. However the more I think of it - why not just get a portable AC unit with inlet on the covered sliding aft cockpit door? Seems better overall, but hit me with anything I’m not thinking of.

* Question2 *
Best resource/checklist for prepping for hard storage for several months?

On my mind from bottom to top:
- wax entire boat
- cover seacock inlets with tape externally
- clean and lube seacocks internally
- flush plumbing lines using vinegar with my descaling system
- change all engine/saildrive/genset oil at haul out
- flush cooling plumbing for engines and genset with fresh water
- change impellers and belts before splash
- fill diesel tanks so no space for condensation or growth (some promote biocide and others are against it)
- fill water tanks (add vinegar?)
- pickle water maker membranes
- remove sails/clean/repair and store
- remove all running rigging with messengers
- wipe all interior with disinfectant
- store all food in sealed containers
- turn up all mattresses
- open all hatches
- we have a lot of teak - cover this with anything? Or clean and seal one last time for summer?
- what other gotchas or I-wish-I-had-knowns you can think of?

I’ve seen a couple good websites on this topic but thought I’d ask here too.

Thank you as always in advance.

- Coy
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 17:08   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Questions On The Hard

We used to spray anti spider treatment on all blocks and stands, power cable etc - this assisted in keeping down the number of crawling insects nesting all over the boat. It is also worth letting off an insect bomb in each hull and salon.

Portable AC works fine,( I would put it on a timer with an in line breaker), even the no drain type can still overflow so need a way to remove overflow. The difficulty is building an exhaust vent that does not let in rain water but robust enough not to fail in a thunderstorm.

A few other items to consider:
Check rudder bearings for slop and tolerances
Drop all anchor chain and inspect on the ground, consider re-galvaizing, end for end the chain. Hose out chain locker to remove mud and salt, return chain dry, spray with WD40.
Disconnect engine start batteries unless they are trickle charged from house bank/charger.
Fresh water will nullify zinc anodes so remember to wire brush or put in new anodes before re-launch. Aluminum anodes are fine.
There is a 3M cleaning product that prevents mildew formation, it is pretty good.
Replace propeller shaft seals in the sail drives.
Clean up speed transducer wheel and antifoul with the recommended paint, not normal bottom paint.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 18:21   #3

Just some thoughts--may not be relevant...

Open all hatches??

Any canvas on boat?

Remove any loose items on deck?

Be sure to secure any opening ports windows
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 18:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Check with the boat yard. Many do not allow unattended boats to be plugged in. I personally don't like leaving my boat unattended and plugged in for extended periods of time but then my concerns are on the winter side of layup.

A single AC or dehumidifier isn't going to reach the entire boat. So either consider some small fans to move air and/or some damp rid pails, especially in the way back corners. Consider a damp rid in the engine room(s) and any separate sail lockers.

By "open all hatches" I assume you mean all interior cabinet and storage doors. Include fridge and freezer doors.

We remove all of our settee cushions, linens, clothing, books, charts, etc. Anything that could attract mold. Try to minimize damage if/when your AC/dehumidifier fails.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 04:47   #5

Excellent points here

We have a covered cockpit/salon entry door so weather should not be an issue. The bridge deck drain right by this entry door. The idea was to use one of these door/window vented units and allow it to drain out the bridge deck drain. What I am seeing now is these units are running inside with the intake running to the outside. I was thinking an outside unit that could drain thru the bridge deck drain and blow cold air inside. Do these exist other than high dollar mini split systems? I’m not finding any as of yet. Still looking.

All other items - CHECK! Great points - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
We used to spray anti spider treatment on all blocks and stands, power cable etc - this assisted in keeping down the number of crawling insects nesting all over the boat. It is also worth letting off an insect bomb in each hull and salon.

Portable AC works fine,( I would put it on a timer with an in line breaker), even the no drain type can still overflow so need a way to remove overflow. The difficulty is building an exhaust vent that does not let in rain water but robust enough not to fail in a thunderstorm.

A few other items to consider:
Check rudder bearings for slop and tolerances
Drop all anchor chain and inspect on the ground, consider re-galvaizing, end for end the chain. Hose out chain locker to remove mud and salt, return chain dry, spray with WD40.
Disconnect engine start batteries unless they are trickle charged from house bank/charger.
Fresh water will nullify zinc anodes so remember to wire brush or put in new anodes before re-launch. Aluminum anodes are fine.
There is a 3M cleaning product that prevents mildew formation, it is pretty good.
Replace propeller shaft seals in the sail drives.
Clean up speed transducer wheel and antifoul with the recommended paint, not normal bottom paint.
Old 21-05-2023, 04:49   #6

Open all interior hatches yes. All portholes will be closed. The damp rids in corners and engine bays. CHECK - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Check with the boat yard. Many do not allow unattended boats to be plugged in. I personally don't like leaving my boat unattended and plugged in for extended periods of time but then my concerns are on the winter side of layup.

A single AC or dehumidifier isn't going to reach the entire boat. So either consider some small fans to move air and/or some damp rid pails, especially in the way back corners. Consider a damp rid in the engine room(s) and any separate sail lockers.

By "open all hatches" I assume you mean all interior cabinet and storage doors. Include fridge and freezer doors.

We remove all of our settee cushions, linens, clothing, books, charts, etc. Anything that could attract mold. Try to minimize damage if/when your AC/dehumidifier fails.
Old 21-05-2023, 08:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

I think an A/C unit is going to be overkill if the boat is mostly closed up. That is no open dorades or solar fan vents in hatches bringing in substantial amounts of outside air. With little change of air there won't be a lot of variability once closed up and the dehumidifier catches up. Remember too that most basic air conditioners don't exchange any air so the AC unit doesn't help in that regard. Also cooling the air requires removing more water vapor to achieve the same relative humidity compared to warmer air. You could drop a second dehumidifier in the captains head, draining out the sink, unless you drain to a grey water sump.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 09:13   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I can highly recommend sprinkling boric acid powder in the bilges...behind drawers...etc..etc..
You can purchase this at most any hardware store...not very expensive either....
Works wonders on bugs...
I use it all the time, roaches manage to get onboard in every imaginable way....as do other bugs....but boric acid takes care of all them...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 17:38   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tape over all vent lines to prevent wasps nests being built there.

Ann

Tags
on the hard