Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2023, 11:57   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Race Stickers on Epoxy Paint

Hey all, this is a very niche question, but I'm hoping someone might have an answer. We've just entered a weekend regatta in the cruising class, and the committee requires bow number stickers that they provide. The trouble is these stickers are designed for fiberglass/gelcoat but our boat is steel, so the freeboards are painted with epoxy paint (Pettit EZPozy, to be exact). I'm worried about the stickers being impossible to get off and peeling off the paint, forcing us to repaint that section in the water, which would be a big pain. I emailed the race about possibly displaying them somewhere else (i.e., hanging off the bow pulpit), but they said they need to be on the hull. We're buying some strong magnets to see if that will hold them on, but if not, does anyone have any experience with removing race stickers from epoxy paint? Does it peel the paint like I'm worried it will? Any tips on applying/removing to prevent peeling paint?
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 12:04   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Race Stickers on Epoxy Paint

no experience, but spitballing...how about using tape around the edges. or when you peel the peel and stick only do so in several spots. leaving the backing on in some spots...

after a weekend i would think that a heat gun/hair drier would be enough to soften things up for removal. with out hurting the paint..
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 12:16   #3

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

It might be worth asking them which/whose sticker material they are using. It could be low tack/ repositionable/removeable to start.

When I want to make tape less sticky, I apply it to a cotton t-shirt and let it pick up lint then use it.

Talc or baby powder might work too, leave a little on each end that is 'full sticky'.
Old 30-05-2023, 12:51   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I was going to suggest placing the stickers on blue painters tape, trim it, and then sticking that to the boat. Easy off and should stay on long enough.
Old 30-05-2023, 13:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I had a steel boat with an epoxy painted hull. I can't recall that sticking a registration sticker on there was ever a problem.
The sticker will only be on for a weekend, so won't have time to bake on.
After removing the sticker, the residue glue can be cleaned up with various kitchen cleaners.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 13:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

I should note that epoxy paint tends to chalk after a few years. I don't know the age of the paint on your boat, but could be a factor on a paint that is several years old.
Old 30-05-2023, 13:34   #7

Boat: Columbia 36

Easypoxy is a modified alkyd enamel, not epoxy name not withstanding. Not much different than plain old Rust-Oleum, so not as tough as you may think it is. I'd be really careful with stickers. Maybe put down painters tape first then the stickers on top of that.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 13:39   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
Hey all, this is a very niche question, but I'm hoping someone might have an answer. We've just entered a weekend regatta in the cruising class, and the committee requires bow number stickers that they provide. The trouble is these stickers are designed for fiberglass/gelcoat but our boat is steel, so the freeboards are painted with epoxy paint (Pettit EZPozy, to be exact). I'm worried about the stickers being impossible to get off and peeling off the paint, forcing us to repaint that section in the water, which would be a big pain. I emailed the race about possibly displaying them somewhere else (i.e., hanging off the bow pulpit), but they said they need to be on the hull. We're buying some strong magnets to see if that will hold them on, but if not, does anyone have any experience with removing race stickers from epoxy paint? Does it peel the paint like I'm worried it will? Any tips on applying/removing to prevent peeling paint?
in what planet is this epoxy paint,you dont have epoxy paint you have POLYURETHANE TOPSIDE PAINT.

epoxy for paint is good only in dark basement or primer.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 13:45   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

It's not even polyurethane. It's got some polyurethane in it, but it's a one-part so not a true PU. That's the "modified" part. Very similar to Interlux Brightside.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 14:06   #10
Marine Service Provider

I used the two part polyurethane on my steel boat and it dried hard as nails....

I used the one part (interlux brightside) on the deck and cabin house, and it too was hard as nails.....maybe not quite as durable as the two part, but hard nonetheless.

I'd have no qualms about putting a sticker on it for a coupla days.
Old 30-05-2023, 14:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
no experience, but spitballing...how about using tape around the edges. or when you peel the peel and stick only do so in several spots. leaving the backing on in some spots...

after a weekend i would think that a heat gun/hair drier would be enough to soften things up for removal. with out hurting the paint..
good ideas, adding them to my list!
Old 30-05-2023, 14:14   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
It might be worth asking them which/whose sticker material they are using. It could be low tack/ repositionable/removeable to start.

When I want to make tape less sticky, I apply it to a cotton t-shirt and let it pick up lint then use it.

Talc or baby powder might work too, leave a little on each end that is 'full sticky'.
These are good ideas, too- I'll definitely ask what sticker material they're using.
Old 30-05-2023, 14:16   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I should note that epoxy paint tends to chalk after a few years. I don't know the age of the paint on your boat, but could be a factor on a paint that is several years old.
The paint is about a year old, no obvious chalking yet, still shiny. So maybe that will help. I have no reason to believe it's not well-adhered or anything, the only places it ever comes off are with chafe. So hopefully I'm worried about nothing
Old 30-05-2023, 14:19   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
in what planet is this epoxy paint,you dont have epoxy paint you have POLYURETHANE TOPSIDE PAINT.
good point - there's so many different kinds of paint on this boat that sometimes I forget which is which! it is a modified polyurethane, but in my experience it acts more like an epoxy paint than a polyurethane paint.
Old 30-05-2023, 14:31   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

You can't know for sure without knowing exactly what the sticker is. Presumably it's a vinyl sticker cut with a plotter or something. On all similar decals I have seen/used, they come off very easily with a heat gun on the low setting, or even a hair dryer. Not too hot, or you will melt it. Type of paint should not matter as long as the paint is in decent condition.

Tags
epoxy, paint, race