Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2023, 08:12   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Racing Pigeon

Identification is proving to be difficult. We did not not want to grab the newcomer to read the listed codes, as although he is probably used to being handled it would only likely scare him, but I can now get close enough at eye level to read the bands clearly.

These are:
Left leg:
Lower: a bright blue grey labelled WCC and below it 2023, then in large numbers next to this 0932
The letters represent the owner's national organization and local club, and the numbers represent the year the bird was hatched and its unique ID code.
Upper: a black band labelled 002 in grey

Right leg:
A dark blue plastic detachable band with no numbers visible

We have hit dead ends with identification. Website searches seem to only cater for birds from their own country, nothing international. I have found one other bird with WCC recorded in online racing results. The fancier is listed as PIGEON POWER LOFTS in South Africa, which seems highly unlikely. The nearest racing club I can find is in Trinidad, 230 km away. He can’t have flown terribly far, as after being fed he looks frisky and very healthy. Meanwhile I have sent an email to report a lost bird to the US link HopCar provided.

Following the links provided here on racing websites, instructions are to feed and water stray pigeons, but only for a maximum of 48 hours otherwise they won’t leave, so for now that is all we can do.

Rescue websites (such as the one ejs posted a link to) paint a horrible picture. Ann is correct, birds returning late are generally culled. A death warrant was probably signed when he flew in. Owners tend to be ruthless with birds not performing well. Huge losses are actually expected anyway during some races (eg 75-90% die during English Channel crossings).

Racing pigeons generally won’t survive in the wild, so his chances are not great even if he opts not to return to the loft.

This young bird has been on board for about 20 hours now and made himself thoroughly at home, this morning enthusiastically exploring every inch of the floor and lots of other surfaces, pecking at everything and joyfully playing with it if it moved. Food and water is now outside (I found he LOVES oats and corn, so thanks for that tip Dan), but he hasn’t wanted to venture out yet, even though we are sitting in the cockpit at the moment. He just smugly peers at us from the companionway. He wouldn’t budge from the front cabin last night and slept on an old towel right next to me. At dawn he hopped up on my ribs and started cooing. These highly intelligent birds are clearly very social and crave company.

I hope he flies off soon, but very sadly the life of this game little bird with a huge personality is likely to be short regardless of where he goes .

SWL

PS Fore and Aft, that kingparrot looks like it enjoys sunflower seeds as much as lorikeets do on our balcony at home!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:38   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
You might contact these people about your new friend. They might be able to tell you where he’s from. They also have care information.
https://www.pigeon.org/pages/lostbirdinfo.html
I have just heard back from the American Racing Pigeon Union linked above. Unfortunately they can’t help with identifying the bird. The advice was to “look for a bird rescue”.

These are a couple of better photos of the labelling on the bands (the blue band rotated between yesterday and today).

The bird is getting very attached and follows me around except if I go outside (he is gently nibbling on my toes and cooing at the moment). I will not leave any food out tomorrow, but I am getting worried about what we will do if he refuses to leave.

PS After further reading, I have decided the advice from the ARPU was the kindest. If we can’t find a bird rescue shelter within reach, does anyone know of anyone in the Grenadines who would like to provide a home for a very affectionate tame bird? As the day is progressing he is starting to rule the roost . No sign at all of wanting to venture anywhere, but he is instead actively exploring his new domain and getting very cheeky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1AA2E20-C0C6-4612-8DC7-E08267728864.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	281756   Click image for larger version

Name:	9CB567AF-B69E-4812-88BF-07448A874BD9.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	281757  

Old 05-10-2023, 12:54   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Seaworthy, you can pick it up safely, holding its wings closed, then toss it up into the air; and maybe it'll fly away. It sounds like the silly fellow thinks you're it's Mom, now. Don't let it come below any more. It has been fed, and rested, and now it's time for it to not overstay its welcome. I hope you can find a home for it, 'cause I think it has become "your bird" for the short term, anyway.

Ann
Old 05-10-2023, 13:08   #19

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We had one land on us a few weeks back about 60nm offshore
Cat sent it on its way soon enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230821_115001_225.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	281760  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 13:47   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

Some people say they make good pets. Enjoy.
Old 05-10-2023, 15:08   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

A pets supply store may know of someone who would take on the pigeon, worth asking.
Worked for me when I found two pigeon chicks under the mainsail cover.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 15:14   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Seaworthy, you can pick it up safely, holding its wings closed, then toss it up into the air; and maybe it'll fly away. It sounds like the silly fellow thinks you're it's Mom, now. Don't let it come below any more. It has been fed, and rested, and now it's time for it to not overstay its welcome. I hope you can find a home for it, 'cause I think it has become "your bird" for the short term, anyway.
Ann
Easier said than done when it comes to not letting him down below . The whole boat is open during the day, and at night the security bars would not be a deterrent. I can’t spend all day chasing him out (he is VERY persistent) and couldn’t keep him out at all at night. I am not sure why he is bonding with me. I was not the one who fed him when he first arrived.

At least now with food and water outside he (I now suspect he is actually more likely to be a she) spent some time in the cockpit this afternoon. Finally! Before I try tossing him in the air I will try and see if anyone affluent ashore would like to give him a home. I don’t think he will survive otherwise.

It seems that the WCC on his leg band may well indicate he is from South Africa. That is all I can come up with. If so, he is likely to have have hitched a ride on a boat across the Atlantic after going astray on what may have been his maiden race in SA. If so, the crew would have fed him. He was hungry and very thirsty, but is plump, glossy and seems to have well looked after recently.

He certainly landed on the right boat. I apparently eat a lot of “bird food” This evening he feasted on split peas, soaked lentils, oats and chia seeds. He licked his dish clean and I swear I heard mmmm noises .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Some people say they make good pets. Enjoy.
He is an absolute delight! I didn’t know pigeons were such characters. As he becomes more confident around us he is starting to exhibit this.

I have done a fair bit of reading today and learned quite a bit about them. They do not score quite as highly as corvids on standard non human intelligence tests, but they have some quite amazing abilities when it comes to visual perception skills.

SWL

Old 05-10-2023, 16:17   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
A pets supply store may know of someone who would take on the pigeon, worth asking.
Worked for me when I found two pigeon chicks under the mainsail cover.
Hi Nigel

There are zero sales of pet food where we are at the moment and there are no animal shelters here either, but I have found that St Vincent have an organisation called Vincents Animal Welfare Fund. Mayreau Animal Welfare is another alternative. Both cater mainly for dogs, but they may offer some suggestions so I will try making contact tomorrow.

I know this is just one racing pigeon and thousands of these die yearly racing, but maybe I can make a difference in the life of one adorable youngster.

SWL

Old 05-10-2023, 17:44   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think you might have a new pet. Just keep him/her.
Old 06-10-2023, 17:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Easier said than done when it comes to not letting him down below . The whole boat is open during the day, and at night the security bars would not be a deterrent. I can’t spend all day chasing him out (he is VERY persistent) and couldn’t keep him out at all at night. I am not sure why he is bonding with me. I was not the one who fed him when he first arrived.

He certainly landed on the right boat. I apparently eat a lot of “bird food” This evening he feasted on split peas, soaked lentils, oats and chia seeds. He licked his dish clean and I swear I heard mmmm noises .

SWL
The World Traveling Pigeon, should we call her/him Peggy/Perry, knows SWL is a nice person. Peggy/Perry found the boat for a reason.

I never would have guessed that pigeons would eat that kind of food until this discussion.

Train Peggy/Perry to sit on our shoulder and tell people is a special Pirate Pigeon.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 17:46   #26

Boat: Catalina 350

Being a pigeon person myself in a previous life, I would say from the picture posted, your guy is a girl. I'd start there if you want to name her. Can't help you with locating the owner, but the bird looks to be in good healthy shape with good muscle tone. If it were me, I'd take it a few miles from the boat provided you're in a location at some anchorage, and release it. It's a racing (homing) pigeon and should be able to find its way home, after all. If not, it will likely just mix in with the common pigeons in the area.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:20   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
Being a pigeon person myself in a previous life, I would say from the picture posted, your guy is a girl. I'd start there if you want to name her. Can't help you with locating the owner, but the bird looks to be in good healthy shape with good muscle tone. If it were me, I'd take it a few miles from the boat provided you're in a location at some anchorage, and release it. It's a racing (homing) pigeon and should be able to find its way home, after all. If not, it will likely just mix in with the common pigeons in the area.
I think you are right. He may well be a she . What was the giveaway? I have tried to find how to determine this. The shape of the head and neck and the soft cooing without any other body movement suggests a female. The length of the outer toes is hard for me to judge, as they seem neither short nor long.

Everything I have read states that a tame domestic pigeon is unlikely to survive if let loose. They are easy targets for birds of prey, as well as cats and dogs. Diseases are readily picked up. Feral pigeons living in cities have adapted slowly over the generations, not that there are any I have seen in the Caribbean anyway. If she flies off the boat that is up to her, but I would feel awful just dumping her.

I have learned that the plastic removable band on her right leg apparently has an electronic chip ring to record her arrival back when racing so she is likely to have been lost during a race, but there are no lofts nearby (Trinidad is the closest, Jamaica is out of reach). I suspect she landed on a boat for rest, as birds often do, and ended up here, possibly after a longer voyage. If so, there is no way she can reach home. A Scottish bird lost in a race was once located in Aruba! South Africa is still the only place we have found an organisation identified by WCC.

This gentle, intelligent young bird is a real little character. She spent the day with us outdoors yesterday, rarely more than a foot away, although the whole deck was explored. She agitated terribly when not let inside when we came in, but if she is to remain a guest even for the short term, she needs to learn to stay out.

I have sent 5 more emails, including the club in Trinidad, a South African one (Western Cape), the Vincentian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, a vet in St Vincents and an animal rescue shelter in Mayreau so hopefully I will know more soon.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

SWL

Old 07-10-2023, 06:20   #28

I’ve had racing swallows on board in the past.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 19:39   #29

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I’ve had racing swallows on board in the past.
African or European?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:36   #30

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Yes we get them here in the UK as well 2 last year did about 100 miles and wouldn’t leave.
Another one this year, only just managed to get itself aboard - I was preparing to come about and pick it up. Put it back on land.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racing