Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 23:54   #151

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Rank the different boat brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malahi View Post
Hi, I think I know exactly what you mean, and I don't think it is a dumb question.

I only know a bit about European boats. The cheap end are Bavaria, Beneteau and Jeanneau - aimed at the charter market. I would put Beneteau and Jeanneau ahead of Bavaria for quality. Actually the fittings on a standard Beneteau are of high quality and they sail well. They just are pretty basic inside. Many standard ex-charter boasts have sailed the Atlantic quite safely.

Next stage up are Dufour and Hanse. Smarter internal fit out and more bells and whistles, but still mass-produced.

For blue water cruising you might want to look at boats designed for North Sea waters, such as the Hallberg Rassy, Naiad or Malo. But these are much more expensive. If you are looking at second hand boats on a fixed budget you can get a 5 year old Beneteau for the price of a 20 year old Rassy.

Top of the range are the Oysters and Swans. Beautiful boats which sail in any conditions and will keep you safe (but not your bank balance!).
I have to say I don't agree with some of your subclassification. There are a number of Bavarias and Beneteaus locally, and I have experience of them from the UK and viewing a large number. Certainly in the 40-50 foot range from this century the Bavarias are substantially better built than the Beneteaus - my Beneteau- owning friends agree. I'd put Hanse down with the Beneteaus as many I looked at were very tired-looking after only ten years (all non-charter boats down here). Dufour above.

Certainly you're correct about the Swedish boats being a significant step up in price and quality, if the style is what you are looking for. I'd hardly say that Oyster and Swan are particularly better than the above, but they are often bigger boats. There'd be little to choose from between an Oyster or a Hallberg Rassy in the mid-50-foot range, but there are a lot of smaller HRs and few small Oysters.

The warning, though, is that you should be very careful buying a much older boat just because of the name. For my budget I could buy a Hanse or Beneteau, but very few of these were in good condition or didn't have substantial costs coming up. There was also a 1970s Swan asking similar money, but it would have been one of the worst money pits possible. However well made a 1970s boat is there is no getting around the ancient design, battered woodwork, and that many of the parts are a long way past their design life.

If you're in the market for a cheap car that works, you might well choose a $5k Toyota. You would be an idiot to buy a $5k Rolls Royce.

Look at the boat, not the name on the back.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat