Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 14:40   #1

Boat: Prout Quasar 50
RANT Canadian vessel name RANT

I'm trying to change the name of a boat in Canada. Sounds simple enough right... Wrong.

*RANT ON*

This is what the Transport Canada website says regrading naming a boat.

must be unique, even when said aloud
can’t use a registered trademark
can’t be a prohibited mark
can’t be confused with a distress signal
can’t include vessel acronyms, for example, “SV” for sailing vessel, or “FV” for fishing vessel
can include an article such as “the”, “le”, “la”, “l’”, though we don’t consider this when approving a vessel name (for example, “THE HAPPY DOLPHIN” is the same as “HAPPY DOLPHIN”)
You must provide an authorization letter, if you are using the name of:
a famous Canadian person
a city or town in Canada"

Easy enough. I use the search and punch in the name I want and its available, I do about one hour of checking to make sure no name sounds like mine... A bit odd but I'm feeling good. I fill out the paperwork send it in and wait a month. I get an email back saying I cant use the name because its registered in the Canadian Trademarks Database... But its just a generic word! I didn't even think to check.

*RANT INTENSIFIES*

Thats right, if you want to name your boat "Dolphin" you can't because a company from Israel that makes pool cleaning robots holds the trademark to the word "Dolphin" in Canada. Ok no biggie you will add you favorite color and call it "SILVER DOLPHIN".... Nope a company in Illinois has that trademarked for a "series of fiction and non-fiction books on a variety of topics". "DOLPHIN'S MOON" maybe if it wasn't trademarked by a German company that makes gaming machines.

But thats ok you are starting to hate that name anyway. You think to yourself if I'm going to be living on it why not "MI CASA". Well its to bad a company in Delaware that makes salsa mix and tortillas has that trademarked in Canada. Maybe LA CASETTA ("the little house"), Sorry a wine company from Italy has that one.

So you think well ill just call one of these companies and get them to send me a authorization letter saying I can use the name. They have nothing to do with sailing or the boat industry anyway, so you call one up and they say no problem. Bam 3 days later you have a signed authorization letter in your hand that says its ok. You call up Transport Canada, tell them about the letter... but they say no. it can't be a trademark even with a letter from the owner of the trademark.

Well now you are mad and things go into overdrive. You think, ill just name it after my own company which I have trademarked. Since I own the trademark everything will be ok... Wrong, it doesn't matter who the owner of the trademark is, they will not allow it. If you have a whale watching company named Whale Watcher and you trademark that name you can't call your boat Whale Watcher.... A company can't even buy a boat and name it after themselves. But it would be fine if you bought the boat called it whale watcher then got your company name trademarked

This is a new rule so there are tons of boats that have names that are trademarked. I don't understand why this was needed. Yes, all I have to do is add a 1 after the name I want and I can have it. But that is ridiculous, why should I have to add a 1 when my boat is the only one to have that name. Do you have any idea how many words are trademarked in Canada this is crazy, you can't even name your boat FLOWER POWER because a fertilizer company has that. Pluto is not even a planet anymore but you can't use that because its a "Electronic cigarette liquid" under a trademark.

Even if it is a word like "SUNSHINE" that is trademarked by more then ten companies all in different industries. You can't have it for your boat name.

*RANT OVER*

I don't plan on just dropping this, there has got to be something I can do. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I'm typing up an email to ask about how I can lodge a complaint.
Old 11-09-2020, 15:01   #2

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Re: RANT Canadian vessel name RANT

I know this is not funny to you. Please do not see this as disrespecting your plight
But this is so well written, it deserves a copy in the joke thread.
Sometimes reality is funnier than comedians. Or maybe bureaucracy is where old standups go to die.
Maybe send it to Ottawa newspaper also?
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 15:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
I know this is not funny to you. Please do not see this as disrespecting your plight
But this is so well written, it deserves a copy in the joke thread.
Sometimes reality is funnier than comedians. Or maybe bureaucracy is where old standups go to die.
Maybe send it to Ottowa newspaper also?

Firstly, it's Ottawa. Secondly, while not exactly land locked, Ottawa isn't really a sailing or boating mecca and the local newspapers wouldn't care about this poor person's naming plight.

If they want to go the complaint route, I would recommend contacting their local MP. That said, the cynic in me says they won't care either.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 15:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Firstly, it's Ottawa. Secondly, while not exactly land locked, Ottawa isn't really
Thanks for seeing my spelling error, NaClyDog. 🤣🤣🤣 I spell it wrong frequently, it seems. But, your correction was especially juicy!
Old 11-09-2020, 15:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Thanks for seeing my spelling error, NaClyDog. 🤣🤣🤣 I spell it wrong frequently, it seems. But, your correction was especially juicy!
Sorry, really, no offence intended!
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 15:37   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I’ve always had luck with adding a place name, say Dawn of Tofino.........the of and place name are then printed smaller and lower on the transom, use the place you are registered to and that requirement is taken care of.......the trademark issue is new, I’ve named 5 vessels and never heard of it as an issue......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 15:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Sorry, really, no offence intended!

None taken! [emoji23]
Old 11-09-2020, 15:48   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, madprops, why not just name your boat "Rant"? Nice story goes with it; it is quick to spell phonetically on the VHF; and it will be a super conversation opener. ....or maybe "Rant of 2020".

Ann
Old 11-09-2020, 16:01   #9

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I feel for you. We had the privelige of dealing with transport Canada for renaming as well. We went thru a few names (not submitted) trying to find the right one, and one that would "pass". In short, we wanted the perfect name! So ( as a "cat"amaran) we named her Purrfect!
Your name will come and just think of the story you get to tell everytime someone asks why you named her that.
Good luck
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 17:04   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hey, madprops, why not just name your boat "Rant"? Nice story goes with it; it is quick to spell phonetically on the VHF; and it will be a super conversation opener. ....or maybe "Rant of 2020".

Ann

When I read the thread Title,I thought it was about a boat named Rant"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 17:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
When I read the thread Title,I thought it was about a boat named Rant"

What about Ulysses Rant?
Old 11-09-2020, 17:26   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Good story and I had a heck of a time trying to get my boat's name approved because it could be pronounced differently and phonetically it would be similar to another name on file. Absolutely ridiculous!. But I fought and won. That was when you could speak to someone, today, no can do!!
However, your story is lacking something and I am intrigued: you MUST submit 3 names, did you? And did they approve the second or third choice? Just asking...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 17:31   #13

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Since they'll accept a number appended to the name, just do like with e-mail accounts, just keep going up until they accept it.
"pan pan, this is Serenity 17572...
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:40   #14

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann

Mine would have to be “Rant of September 2020” or, more likely, “Rant of 12 September 2020”
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:11   #15

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

Just use the name you want and add a number. Then don't put this number on the transom and don't use it at all.
I know it is not legal but nobody will ever notice. If you want some peace of mind, you can write the number in a different color that you don't see well from afar. That way you're (barely) legal...
Don't waste your time fighting them on their own turf.
Free Rider is offline   Reply With Quote