Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 23:34   #1

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
Raymarine 6001

Hi folks,
MY auto pilot has a tendency to let my boat drift to port about 10 degrees before it starts steering. Some times it starts to steer immediately, then lets the boat drift to port. Other times it steers fine for sometime then goes off course to port. Any ideas out there?
Rich
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:18   #2

Can you test the compass? On standby see if the compass is sensitive to small course changes. Should sense 1 degree heading changes. If that is okay then RESPONSE and GAIN might be suspects. Or a simple loose connection somewhere.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:28   #3

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Raymarine 6001

Is this a new installation or an existing system. This auto pilot controller is used on several different brains all with different operating characteristics. Can you provide details of the brain. We recently upgraded the brain and drive unit on our boat leaving the existing ST 6001 controller. Have you run through the configuration procedure including rudder alignment and sea trial. As noted in the previous post respone settings will let the boat drift considerably off course if these settings are low.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:33   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
Hi folks,
MY auto pilot has a tendency to let my boat drift to port about 10 degrees before it starts steering. Some times it starts to steer immediately, then lets the boat drift to port. Other times it steers fine for sometime then goes off course to port. Any ideas out there?
Rich
Rich

There are a number of things that could be wrong... But without more information it would be endless guessing.

The first thing I would check is the response setting... If it is set low, this could effect the sterring with delays.

What you described would also be normal if you were following a Track instead of a Bearing Heading. Or if your are sailing to the wind in a port tack.

Raymarine has always had good Tech Support. They normlly respond in a couple of hours to emails. I would suggest you go there and explain in detail what is happening and they should be able to help you fix your problem.

Raymarine Marine Electronics - Support Home

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 23:53   #5

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran

Thanks for the input folks. I will post when I find the the problem.
Rich
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine