Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 08:19   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
Raymarine Autopilot Wireless Remote

Hello

I am currently prepping for a Bahamas trip and just started having problems with my Raymarine 4000+ Control

The standby button works intermittently and I'm afraid it's going to just quit altogether. I would like to get the wireless remote control, replace control head or upgrade it all because after a lot of research I don't think there is another compatible control head to replace it with.

It won't matter if any of the buttons work on the control head if I get the wireless remote correct?
Any suggestions?
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 23:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: Raymarine Autopilot Wireless Remote

Assuming you have a course computer that is compatible with the wireless remote, then the answer is yes, the wireless remote will work regardless of the function of you other control head.

We have an S3G course computer and had an ST6001 control head. When the ST6001 shorted out we used our S100 wireless remote without an issue until I replaced the ST6001 control head with a new P70S. We use the wireless remote all the time.

But a 4000+ is different from my ST6001, so you'd have to know which course computer you have before deciding on whether it's work buying the remote.
Old 21-11-2018, 01:42   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

If the course computer communicates with the controller over Seatalk then yes the wireless remote will fully replace the controller for normal AP functions. The wireless remote also displays other data such as depth, speed, wind, etc. it is a really handy device.

The wireless remote is Seatalk only and can not connect to NMEA devices.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 03:49   #4

From what I've read the 4000+ course computer is incorporated into the control head
Old 21-11-2018, 05:38   #5

Boat: Valiant 42
Raymarine Autopilot Wireless Remote

The 4000+ has Seatalk so it should still be possible to use the wireless remote instead of the buttons on the 4000+. So as long as the controller can perform the AP function and it just has button issues the wireless remote should solve the problem.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 07:05   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

This is really interesting to read. Our boat had a Raymarine wireless remote on board when we bought it, and I've never used it. What conditions do you find it useful?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD527 View Post
From what I've read the 4000+ course computer is incorporated into the control head
Correct, so if the 4000+ itself has internal problems, the remote may not function.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:36   #8

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

A wireless remote should NOT be your primary means of controlling the autopilot.

It should ABSOLUTELY NOT be your only means of controlling the autopilot.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:50   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
A wireless remote should NOT be your primary means of controlling the autopilot.

Everyone wants something fancy but no one wants to pay for it.

I would recommend the Raymarine EV-200.
Old 21-11-2018, 09:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post

I agree that it should not be the only means.. I am not sure what you mean by "Primary" In our case we have a P70S at the starboard helm, and our MFD under the cockpit table between the helms. We can fully control the autopilot from the P70S, and we can switch between auto/track/standby from the MFD. We also have the Wireless remote. I would say we use the Wireless remote as "Primary" because we use it most of the time. It hangs around my neck as I move about the boat. If I need to adjust course I just grab it and push a button. Done. It warns me of low batteries well in advance and we keep rechargeables at the nav desk. If the remote failed or didn't respond to a command, it's a simple matter of walking back to the starboard helm, taking the wheel, and controlling from the P70S.

But the S100 allows us to roam about the cockpit, eat, check our routes on the iPad or the MFD, walk out on deck and check out the scenery, all while maintaining very fast reaction if we need to dodge, or simply adjust course a bit. Tacking is also a breeze since I can initiate the tack with the jib sheets in my hand and at the ready.

And since we have two helms, I can now control the AP from the port helm too..

So I would saw we use our remote as Primary, depending on your definition the word and I really don't see anything wrong with that.

However I totally agree that it can't be the "ONLY" control.
Old 21-11-2018, 12:15   #11

Boat: Hunter 41

I have an ST7001 control head and smart controller remote. If you are interested, make me a reasonable offer.
wnischt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 12:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "Primary"
I think what he means by "primary" is don't consider an AP controller at the nav station and a wireless remote in the cockpit an acceptable system.

You should have a way to control the AP in the cockpit should the wireless remote stop working. Be it an MFD or a AP controller.
Old 21-11-2018, 12:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnischt View Post
I have an ST7001 control head and smart controller remote. If you are interested, make me a reasonable offer.
If his buttons are not working properly that means the circuit board is likely to fail in his controller. Adding an ST7001 would be accessorizing a dying system. His money is better spent on a new system.
Old 21-11-2018, 13:17   #14

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
I think what he means by "primary" is don't consider an AP controller at the nav station and a wireless remote in the cockpit an acceptable system.

You should have a way to control the AP in the cockpit should the wireless remote stop working. Be it an MFD or a AP controller.
Correct indeed!

I have had many customers who purchased one controller for their autopilot and put it at the nav station and then rely on a wireless remote in the cockpit. They come to me saying "My remote freaked out and I was having to run in and out of the cabin to control the autopilot. I need a second controller."

I happily sell them a shiny new p70s but they would have been better served installing it to start with. You pay more (either in time or money) by not having a dedicated wired autopilot controller in the cockpit in the beginning.

As they say... The cheap man pays twice.

I'm all for saving money. The whole reason I started JK Navigation was to save people money. If your going to use an autopilot you need a wired controller in the cockpit. Everything else is an accessory.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 14:56   #15

this is exactly why i would like to know if the remote would work

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, remote