Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 08:10   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re-rigging a self-tacking jib?

Hanse 40 with self-tacking jib = clew is cut in semi-circle with 6 grommets along the edge; highest on leach, lowest on foot, and 4 in between with one sheet running to a forward traveler. Hard to adjust leach and foot tension on the fly.

Anyone tried rigging a jib clew cut like this with 2 sheets running through the genoa leads instead?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 04:04   #2

Re: Re-rigging a self-tacking jib?

Have similar issues on our Tartan...However, if running sheets, would this not defeat the purpose of self tacking?
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 07:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
Have similar issues on our Tartan...However, if running sheets, would this not defeat the purpose of self tacking?
Short answer is yes. Self tacking is great for cruising; not so great for buoy racing. Changing genoa lead positions to adjust leach and foot tension is a lot faster and easier than switching grommets in the middle of a race.

We will go out and experiment later this week. Thought maybe someone on CF had already been through the process and might have some insights.
Old 18-09-2013, 10:03   #4

Understood....I often want to tighten the sheeting angle to improve pointing ability, and am limited by the self tacking traveller. I thought about changing the jib traveller car itself and criss-crossing the jib traveller lines and lead aft to cockpit. Also thought about adding stopping cars on the jib traveller to tighten the angle. This is the one area that prevents my from racing the boat on any type of competitive scale. I believe you are correct in using the genny leads...perhaps a sail cut for that purpose would be an option. However, you would need to change jibs before you race.
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 13:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
Understood....I often want to tighten the sheeting angle to improve pointing ability, and am limited by the self tacking traveller. I thought about changing the jib traveller car itself and criss-crossing the jib traveller lines and lead aft to cockpit. Also thought about adding stopping cars on the jib traveller to tighten the angle. This is the one area that prevents my from racing the boat on any type of competitive scale. I believe you are correct in using the genny leads...perhaps a sail cut for that purpose would be an option. However, you would need to change jibs before you race.
Yeah...trying to figure this out without changing the headsail.

This all stems from the fact that the boat as rigged doesn't sail to it's 85 handicap in lighter air (below 15 kts) and, as you noted, doesn't point high enough.

The owner has a larger Carbon Fiber genoa but to use it lowers the handicap even further to 62, and besides being a PITA to change, he only wants to use it when he races the boat outside of club activities; not to mention the self tacking jib is a strong selling point in the club's charter fleet so he wants to leave the boat rigged that way.

Using stopping cars on the traveller might work but wouldn't you have to run to the bow and change the position everytime you change your point of sail?

The simplest solution might be to rig an artificial corner for the jib with a short line connecting the upper and lower grommets and connect jib sheets to that with bowlines.

As I said, we're going to take it out and play around with it. Maybe we find a solution. Maybe we don't. Worse case it's an excuse to go sailing.
Old 18-09-2013, 13:28   #6

Boat: CORBIN 39

no need to change anything! all you will need is a jibsheet and a barber hauler. jibsheet on the wind, barberhaul off the wind. good to about 120 degrees.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 06:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
no need to change anything! all you will need is a jibsheet and a barber hauler. jibsheet on the wind, barberhaul off the wind. good to about 120 degrees.
But which grommet do you attach the jib sheet to? Or does it matter?
Old 28-09-2014, 00:07   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Old Frog 75,

Make up 4 soft shackles for each of the grommets, then trial and error, tie the sheets to the different shackles for your trials.

Ann
Old 30-09-2014, 07:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Old Frog 75,

Make up 4 soft shackles for each of the grommets, then trial and error, tie the sheets to the different shackles for your trials.

Ann
We rigged extra blocks and sheets so we could choose between the upper (tight leech) and lower (tight foot) grommets as needed on the fly. Seemed to work ok but it was somewhat of a PITA.

Tags
jib, rigging