Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2023, 19:06   #151

Re: "Reality" Youtube Sailing Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
My boat has been only weeks away from being launched for two years...
Some people actually do things.. others just talk about it.

Tony has been posting weekly progress reports of his build on YouTube for 5½ years. This week, Tapatya is being trucked from his yard to a marina, where the masts will be stepped, rigging set up, and then comes the launch.

So what's your excuse?
Old 13-06-2023, 19:19   #152

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
So what's your excuse?
Mounted electric outboards, yesterday.
Was going to take the batteries down to the boat, today.
Last night, the sewer backed up.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 07:07   #153

Community Sponsor

At The On Deck Channel we're trying to showcase what life in the yard is like as we refit boats. Our host is not a pro, so it's from his perspective, not simply the pro's showing what they do, but him asking questions and focusing on what he thinks is interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/@TheOnDeckChannel/about
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 07:16   #154

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
The Wynns are one of the biggest mysteries. Seems like a travel friendship than a marriage and Jason has no sailing or skippering capabilities.
I'm not gonna argue with you because he does seem a little "bumbly" at times, but I wonder at what point we should consider someone having "sailing or skippering capabilities." Jason has more miles under his belt than I ever will have. I have to believe a lot of their onscreen character is just that: a character.
Old 14-06-2023, 07:36   #155

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
I don't know what "hawking the flavor of the day" means. I have seen some channels where they have received goods and talk them up - and yes sometimes not really sailing related stuff. But I seriously doubt the manufacturers are reaching out to the sailors. It's probably a lot of work on the part of the channels to find someone willing to offer support. I say - good on them for finding creative ways to fund themselves.
Of course companies reach out to large youtubers. I think many people older than say 40 are pretty clueless on just how massive social media is for modern business. Every major consumer facing company has a social media team which scours social media for content regarding their product or competitors products both good and bad as well as find content producers they can sponsor (create a highly targeted advertising which has massively higher ROI% compared to normal advertising).

You think it was coincidence that when Sailing Uma had a used Oceanvolt saildrive fail that OceanVolt got them a new one for free. Later upgraded that to a free sail drive to one with a servo prop (a $40k motor BTW) when there was a lot of talk in the comments on just how useless regen is on normal motor. It wasn't luck or coincidence it was a social media team reporting on a potential brand risk and someone coming up with a "fix" no different than any other business issue. Now Oceanvolt has a high volume content creator talking about or at least showing their product weekly for potentially years. That is worth big money. Potentially a magnitude more than their investment via two free motors ($60k+).
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 03:55   #156

I watch a lot of youtube sailing channels. I simply just love watching everyday life onboard. But I do also get bored pretty quickly, if its not about sailing. La Vagabonde lacks of sailing and has over that last couple of years turned into a wet lifestyle channel. My favourite channels as we speak are Sailing Project Atticus and Sail Life. This website has all sailing youtube channels listed by size in subscribers: https://aa-sailing.com/sailing/top-1...ing-youtubers/
J1S1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 23:09   #157

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Would recommend Garret’s Adventure. Doesn’t have many videos yet and is pretty new but had a couple videos go viral and had decent amount of people start subscribing. He’s probably a 18/19 kid from Hawaii that bought a sailboat and sailed solo from Hawaii to Tahiti. I don’t patreon anyone but if I were to, it would be him just because I enjoy rooting for the young kid here and seeing him learn as he does these big sails
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 04:52   #158

Boat: Leopard 40

Just stumbled across Jadyn Morse on Youtube. Video titled “You don’t have to be RICH to live like this”

So thought I would take a look…

I lasted 2.12.

When dad started the cliches about not been rich, but “rich in life” and “rich in experiences” I could no longer watch.

Please explain how you are not rich when you have a couple rental income properties, your rather newish(?) looking 45 ft cat is paid for, you have no debt, no longer work and you are cruising the islands!

Maybe some peoples definition of rich is different to mine!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 05:14   #159

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Just stumbled across Jadyn Morse on Youtube. Video titled “You don’t have to be RICH to live like this”

So thought I would take a look…

I lasted 2.12.

When dad started the cliches about not been rich, but “rich in life” and “rich in experiences” I could no longer watch.

Please explain how you are not rich when you have a couple rental income properties, your rather newish(?) looking 45 ft cat is paid for, you have no debt, no longer work and you are cruising the islands!

Maybe some peoples definition of rich is different to mine!
No kidding. I'll just sit here and dream about being able to afford a used catalina 36.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 05:23   #160

But you can! “You don’t need to be RICH!”

I think a comment like that is an absolute slap in the face to those with very little money, who scrape and squeeze every penny and still get out there and make it happen! Not to mention the folk who can barely afford a house or even a car, yet alone a $500k yacht!
Old 31-10-2023, 09:09   #161

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
I think many people older than say 40 are pretty clueless on just how massive social media is for modern business.
This is far from true.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 10:59   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
This is far from true.
Plus 1 on that!!!
Old 05-11-2023, 06:37   #163

I watch a few vids but, quite honestly, find some of them a little boring.

Re-fits and maintenance gets my sails full, but one has to scan through numerous vids to get to the good stuff.

I’ve followed Ryan & Sophie Sailing, a couple who have crossed the Atlantic a couple of times in their Bene. Ryan does provide some decent maintenance content.

Sailing Yacht Florence has some of the best sailing cinematography I’ve seen of any sailing channel. Apart from sailing around the world, and for more the 6 plus years, they have visited places I have not heard of, and they give you a little history too.

Have also followed Sailing Indiana, a young British couple who bought an older boat, fixed her up, and now sail the Med. It’s been interesting watching them grow and deal with challenges associated with an older boat (e.g., completely tearing down their diesel, only to find a bent connecting rod).

I did buy Sailing Indiana a coffee, which, given their efforts on the diesel, was well deserved. I don't begrudge people with Patreon accounts - no one is obligated to donate.
TheWildDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:43   #164

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

If maintenance and refits fill your sails, take a look at https://youtube.com/@SailLife?si=oDZDk4JQ5WAlyQ-H
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 19:24   #165

not a lot of action on this thread for a while so...I saw on the "bobby and titty" show recently he did an episode of "how hard it is" to be a bluetuber...comparing his channel to the other popular ones with actual REAL sailing content. Not once did he acknowledge that his audience is single lonely desperate men. Anyways. my 2c worth.

I Do enjoy the channels with quality video, graphics and sound as this is a long learned skill (trust me).
I dont send any money ever.
whats the last question?
ozbluwaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing