Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2023, 12:08   #76

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Re: "Reality" Youtube Sailing Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I think the "reality" is, is that people will always find ways to try and poke holes in your fun. Most of these people are just sharing their adventure.
I would say you are absolutely right about that!

For years I busted my butt driving a truck running all over the country, I got to where I could buy a boat, and it just so happens that I was able to land a Spencer 42 which is a really good boat.

Even though I did the work, I made the money, I sacrificed to have this, and bought it at the age of 34, I had old salts who would get straight up jealous when they would see what I had.

It is amazing how many people were rooting for me to fail, or how many wanted to claim that I was using daddy's money or what ever else.

The reality is, there are a lot of people out there who manage their money terribly, can't save a damn dime, and will never have a boat because they are dreaming about it not doing it.

You and I have gone and done it, no one can take that away from us, and for those who have not and wish they could, that is why so many get so butt hurt over what we are doing.

Personally I would have liked to see you continue with your channel, you made good videos, they got better over time, I think had you kept doing it that you would have gotten much bigger doing it.

But that is up to you.
Old 17-01-2023, 12:50   #77

How many actually wanted you to fail. We never ran into. That.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 13:32   #78

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
Providing public entertainment while soliciting contributions is not a traditional value.

I worked part-time as a member of a semiprofessional group of street performers. We were paid a retainer by the venues we served but made most of our money from tips. The money was never great but I will always remember some of the people who were most clearly touched by what we did. The autistic child who was fascinated with my violin and who I taught to play a note or two on it. The couple recovering from a difficult time in their marriage for whom I provided a vow renewal ceremony. The romantic couple for whom the quiet music in the grotto provided the setting for a special moment. There were others.

I am proud of what I did.

Quote:
How you can actually retain your dignity while you beg for money from the public is your own problem. Human beings have a tremendous capacity to fool themselves and justify their activities, no matter how disgraceful they may be.

Do you tip at restaurants?
Old 17-01-2023, 14:05   #79

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
It is amazing how many people were rooting for me to fail, or how many wanted to claim that I was using daddy's money or what ever else.

Years ago I would talk about my plans for cruising and shared what I knew with others who had similar aspirations.

Some called me a fool and a poser because I did not have a boat. Then I got a boat.

Some called me a fool and poser because my boat was not a sailboat. Then I got a sailboat.

Then in the boatbuilding and repair forums some called me a fool and a poser because I had not built a boat from scratch. Then I built a boat from scratch.

Some called me a fool and a poser because my boat was smaller than most cruising boats. Then I got a larger sailboat.

These days I am called a fool and a poser because I haven't done enough ocean passages, or because I don't race, or because my boat is too old, or because I have a day job.

I expect that I will always be the fool

There are six people on the forums, and exactly twenty-six more out on the water, who are just the right age and have the right boat that was expensive but not too lavish and who have skills but can afford to hire others and know how to use paper charts (but don't) and sailed the right kind of dinghies in their misspent youth but weren't too serious about it and have perfect grammar without appearing to try and have straight teeth and perfect, muscular figures and who have been on tough passages but didn't take stupid risks. These 32 people are deserving of our respect.

The rest of us will always be fools
Old 17-01-2023, 14:07   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
Hell no, why I would I pay anything for something free. There are deserving charitable organizations actually helping people in need. Why would I support freeloaders begging for money so they can enjoy themselves?
You clearly have no idea the amount of work that goes into creating quality video content, it is an incredibly complex process, that requires quite a bit of time, and the right equipment and software to do it properly.

Producing a 20 minute video can take 30-100 hours worth of work.

The idea that you would take the labor that someone is doing to create a product to entertain people and hopefully make some money from it is "freeloading" I find absolutely disgusting.

Are you in the habit of demanding that people work for free?

I find it fascinating this sense of entitlement that you are owed entertainment. Personally I think it is jealousy hard at work: "Why should they get to go enjoy their boat when I can't"

Well boo freaking hoo!

You make it sound like filmmakers are reprehensible scum, it isn't like we are lawyers or something!
Old 17-01-2023, 14:56   #81

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
I had a small-ish sailing channel for a few years (Adventures of Tarka), and reading through this thread it feels like people have a lot of strong opinions. We heard a lot of those strong opinions in the comments on our videos as well.

I miss Tarka! Did you get another boat?
Old 17-01-2023, 15:07   #82

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
A WestSail 32 apparently.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 15:17   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Years ago I would talk about my plans for cruising and shared what I knew with others who had similar aspirations.

Some called me a fool and a poser because I did not have a boat. Then I got a boat.

Some called me a fool and poser because my boat was not a sailboat. Then I got a sailboat.

Then in the boatbuilding and repair forums some called me a fool and a poser because I had not built a boat from scratch. Then I built a boat from scratch.

Some called me a fool and a poser because my boat was smaller than most cruising boats. Then I got a larger sailboat.

These days I am called a fool and a poser because I haven't done enough ocean passages, or because I don't race, or because my boat is too old, or because I have a day job.

I expect that I will always be the fool

There are six people on the forums, and exactly twenty-six more out on the water, who are just the right age and have the right boat that was expensive but not too lavish and who have skills but can afford to hire others and know how to use paper charts (but don't) and sailed the right kind of dinghies in their misspent youth but weren't too serious about it and have perfect grammar without appearing to try and have straight teeth and perfect, muscular figures and who have been on tough passages but didn't take stupid risks. These 32 people are deserving of our respect.

The rest of us will always be fools

Me, I am just stuck being oil field trash trying to play sailor! 🤣🤣🤣
Old 17-01-2023, 15:17   #84

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Yup! A Westsail 32 (which was the dream boat I couldn't quite afford at the time), which is why I picked the Albin Vega 27. I didn't want to spend several years re-fitting a boat at the time (which is what I'm doing now!).
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 15:20   #85

Quote:
Yup! A Westsail 32 (which was the dream boat I couldn't quite afford at the time), which is why I picked the Albin Vega 27. I didn't want to spend several years re-fitting a boat at the time (which is what I'm doing now!).

Are you back to doing videos?
Old 17-01-2023, 15:33   #86

Boat: Westsail 32

Not right now, but maybe in the not-too-distant future. We are hoping to take this boat across the Pacific, but we are presently too busy being "productive" members of society again.

However, I am (finally) publishing the final episode of the Tarka story very shortly, very much long over due.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 15:50   #87

Quote:
Not right now, but maybe in the not-too-distant future. We are hoping to take this boat across the Pacific, but we are presently too busy being "productive" members of society again.

However, I am (finally) publishing the final episode of the Tarka story very shortly, very much long over due.

I will be looking for it.

Myself I am fixing to head up to Alaska from Seattle in a few weeks time as soon as the weather permits, then by the end of the summer I will be back down the coast, going to do the winter in Mexico, and may participate in the Baja Ha-Ha we will see.

Might run into you on the way down.
Old 17-01-2023, 16:15   #88

Many people talk about how much crap they get when telling people their sailing plans.
We never got any crap from people. I wounder why that is
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 06:28   #89

Boat: Norman Cross Trimaran MK1 34'

SAILBOAT STORY is a very good channel.
SV OutofHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 06:50   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV OutofHere View Post
SAILBOAT STORY is a very good channel.

I do enjoy their channel as well, they are providing that little girl of theirs with one heck of a good life, and having fun doing it.

Tags
sail, sailing