Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2014, 14:48   #481

Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I am struck by the fact that he for some reason has chosen to remain silent, but reads the threads about his misadventure. To me this is very bizarre behavior on his part. What is served by people discussing what happened when they don't KNOW what happened because the information is second and third hand coming out in bits and pieces... and Eric not stating the facts?
It is bizarre behavior...unless he is writing a book to profit off of his "misadventure".
Old 16-04-2014, 14:53   #482
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
It is bizarre behavior...unless he is writing a book to profit off of his "misadventure".
Prosaic means ordinary or dull. Most of us lead a prosaic everyday life, sometimes interrupted by some drama or crisis.

ergo

Münchausen syndrome by proxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 16-04-2014, 14:53   #483
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
[ed]I am struck by the fact that he [Eric] for some reason has chosen to remain silent, but reads the threads about his misadventure. To me this is very bizarre behavior on his part.

I am wondering if the ocean crossing was not such a great idea and perhaps cruising coastal or Island hoping would have been more prudent??? .[ed.]
Yes.... I also find it very bizarre and.... curious. I'm also wondering if the family had second thoughts about the adventure a couple of weeks out.
Old 16-04-2014, 15:03   #484
cruiser

Quote:
People only pay to see movies or read books about success stories, heroes and overcoming adversity. Failure does not sell... Just ask the Donald Crowhurst family.

Fiction on the other hand....
Old 16-04-2014, 15:07   #485

I don't find Eric's silence as odd. He just wants to maximize revenue from this. Can't blame him.

They also need time to hide from the public, wait for the hubbub to die down, rest & recuperate, then come up with a story that makes sense and make sure both of them are on the same page.

This is also important from a legal perspective. Remember, the masses were clamoring for their children to be taken away from them. That's not to be taken lightly.
Old 16-04-2014, 15:09   #486

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i know that myself and any of my children will develop a serious rash ,fever, vomiting,diareah,within hours of taking amoxycillin,lasting 24 hours or so,with no ill effects afterwards if discontinued.

could it be two self centered people,who would have suffered the condemnation of the sailing community if they had chosen to abandon their boat because of a simple issue like losing the self steering,after publicly criticising others for just that, chose to spin a sick child story to get recognition,and rescue whilst keeping the moral high ground with enough controversy to promote their blog and a book

Funny you should suggest this. I had a PM from another member yesterday suggesting the same thing. It could explain a lot. And it certainly wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing has happened with cruisers.
Old 16-04-2014, 15:16   #487
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Prosaic means ordinary or dull. Most of us lead a prosaic everyday life, sometimes interrupted by some drama or crisis.

ergo

Prosaic. Exactly.

Which goes to my point: I find it difficult to imagine that he was calculating the response here on CF before deciding how to respond to his kid's illness. And frankly, I think it's pretty bizarre (and unfair) for anyone to suggest such a thing.
Old 16-04-2014, 15:18   #488

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Not much of a book in it .... 'How I went to sea and lost my boat 2 weeks later'...
Old 16-04-2014, 15:19   #489
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Ahhh now we are elevating into the land of conspiracy theories.

Could it be, that in the bilge they kept a safe which included 1000 dollar bills that were embezzled from a bank in SD, that they used to pay off the PJs to collaborate their story?
Old 16-04-2014, 15:27   #490
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
People only pay to see movies or read books about success stories, heroes and overcoming adversity. Failure does not sell... Just ask the Donald Crowhurst family.

Fiction on the other hand....
Actually, there's this: The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst: Nicholas Tomalin, Ron Hall: 0639785802594: Amazon.com: Books

which is fascinating, btw.

I agree though that in the case of RH, there's not much of a book here.
Old 16-04-2014, 15:28   #491
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Prosaic. Exactly.

Which goes to my point: I find it difficult to imagine that he was calculating the response here on CF before deciding how to respond to his kid's illness. And frankly, I think it's pretty bizarre (and unfair) for anyone to suggest such a thing.
i would like to think it was cf members who donated 18,000 dollars in 4 days,but having an overview outside of the forum,i think this is not the case.

it is all about,clicks
Old 16-04-2014, 15:31   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
EHHHH! Wrong again! Nothing is established. Its all hearsay and conjecture. Nothing is well established.

EEHHHH! Wrong again! Discuss what you want. Its a question of the context which I believe strongly, just as politics, should be limited.
The basic story about Rebel Heart is very well established and documented. It's not all hearsay and conjecture, although there is plenty of that, too.

No doubt there are inaccuracies. Even if there are inaccurate details, do they really change the story all that much?

I've got to believe by now Eric has an account written up. When is he going to spring it on us? I don't have a problem with him taking the time he needs, but I don't think we need to censor the forum in the mean time.
Old 16-04-2014, 15:32   #493

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Actually, there's this: The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst: Nicholas Tomalin, Ron Hall: 0639785802594: Amazon.com: Books

which is fascinating, btw.

I agree though that in the case of RH, there's not much of a book here.
There is also a very good documentary about sad ole Don Crowhurst.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-04-2014, 15:37   #494
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Funny you should suggest this. I had a PM from another member yesterday suggesting the same thing. It could explain a lot. And it certainly wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing has happened with cruisers.
brings this to mind,about the same time as they were leaving

'Shipwreck British woman saved by Google Earth’: There’s something fishy about story of Gemma Sheridan rescued from desert island - Weird News - News - The Independent
Old 16-04-2014, 15:42   #495

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
could it be two self centered people,who would have suffered the condemnation of the sailing community if they had chosen to abandon their boat because of a simple issue like losing the self steering,after publicly criticising others for just that, chose to spin a sick child story to get recognition,and rescue whilst keeping the moral high ground with enough controversy to promote their blog and a book

Uh oh, now you've done it. But for your general good standing round here, this would bring hell fire down on you. And to the person who said RH would never do it merely to avoid ridicule on CF, the sailing community is a lot bigger than that. Now, its a wild speculation, but thats all we've got right now.

And a separate point, what's all this cr@p about blogs being fiction? Its pretty easy to just explain what happened. Folks are looking for what should be pretty simple, easily remembered facts. Not that anyone is entitled to them, but excusing misinformation just because it is on a blog is ridiculous. Differing stories are not "perception" or literary license. They would be lies.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, rib