Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 15:13   #1

Recommendation for Off-Season Boat Storage/Marina on the East Coast

We live in California, and we hope to buy a boat in the next six months on the East Coast and keep it there to cruise in the Caribbean. I'll be retired but my wife who's younger and self employed will continue working so the plan is to be "commuter cruisers", sailing in the Caribbean for 2 - 4 weeks at a time during the season. We have friends in Florida so we'll probably base the boat there during the season, but we don't think that's a good location for the off-season. Maybe that's not correct? So first some general questions.

Is it always better to store the boat on the hard during the off season?
How far north do we need to be to be out of the hurricane area, (and presumably have better and cheaper insurance coverage)?

Ideally, this off-season location should be close to a major airport, really secure, and hopefully not too expensive. We'd like to have access to the ICW, as well as good day sailing, along with proximity to good boat yards, marine diesel shops, etc. Of course I realize we'll be luck to get 2 or 3 out of the 5 items on our wish list.

Finally any other "commuter cruisers" willing to share their favorite off-season east coast storage spot? TIA

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 16:08   #2

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Recommendation for Off-Season Boat Storage/Marina on the East Coast

I would aim for Fort Lauderdale. If you go for a marina, it's going to be expensive. But if you get a private dock you can keep it under 500 usd if you look around (and you go inland to the different Isles streets for example). Being a commuter cruiser, you can jump to Bahamas or sail south to the Keys, or just enjoy shorter sails to Biscayne and surroundings.

That's where I am at right now, being also a commuter cruiser, and I like what I get out of the area.

The only downfall ... goddam hurricanes. But you will face this stuff in any case.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, east coast, men, storage