Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2022, 20:54   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 405
Recommendations for Chartering

So, I sold my Hunter 405 because I was not able to use it enough to justify owning it. I thought it would be more cost-effective just to charter when I am able to get away. I have previously chartered a cat in the BVI three times, from CYOA in Charlotte Amalie. Very nice, but now I’d like to explore another area. I live near Washington DC, and would be flying from here to get to the charter area. I will probably be bringing a few friends and family, to share the fun and the cost. I’d really be interested in tapping the collective wisdom and experience of Cruisers Forum for recommendations of an interesting and fun place to sail for a week sometime between now and the end of August. It’s been about three years since my last charter, so I assume that prices are a lot higher now. I haven’t looked at availability, either. I’d appreciate any recommendations for companies, areas, and transportation, or anything else. Cost is a consideration, but I don’t yet have a budget in mind.
Rothblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 21:57   #2

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Recommendations for Chartering

We are doing our 18th charter this fall in Grenada. Our very first charter, 30 years ago, was to the Windwards, and we are finally now getting back.

With out a doubt, the finest place we've chartered is French Polynesia (Tahiti). We've done 2 there - our last 2. But. 1 week really isn't enough. 10 days... maybe. It's relatively easy to get to. Fly from DC to LAX. Overnight flight LAX to Papeete (PPT). Gets in around 5 am. Catch Air Tahiti puddle jumper, you are on your charter boat by 9 am. Well, you are at the briefing. Same thing going home: Raiatea to PPT, PPT to LAX (overnight), and home to DC that afternoon.

IF you must go closer to home, try the Spanish Virgins. Fly to San Juan, van to Fajardo. Sail Caribe. Culebra and Vieques. Fantastic.

Whatever you do, don't charter with Dream Yacht. Just. Don't.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, men