Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2024, 08:18   #1

Recommendations for the clueless

Hi folks, looking to see if I can get some crowdsource knowledge.

I cross posted this exact thread from reddit. But I wanted to cast a wider net.

The wife and I have gotten the bug that we might be interested in sailing and want to start real small.

We're going to take a course at the yacht club next summer with the goal of someday getting a real boat (if we really dig it) but we wanted to just mess around a bit in the interim.

Our only boating experience is kayaks (and being in other peoples motor boats).

I want to get us something that we could both be relatively comfortable in at the same time (we're compact both of us under 6') and be relatively dry in.

In terms of goals: We have -zero- interest in racing, we just want to chill out on the water and muck around.

I dont want to spend crazy money, but you know something with a trailer in the max range of 5g and under is about right. But I don't mind spending a little money to "be on my own time" if it's collecting dust I'll sell it on or worst case scenario I'll give it to my nieces and nephews or charity or something.

Maybe a bonus is we've got a small lake in our back yard (real small, like maybe 95 acres, I figure just under a km on the long point) so I wouldn't mind something small enough that I could just mess around with here in the evenings and pull up to my kayak dock, there's large lakes just down the street and a major river down the road for when I get bored doing laps.

Extra credit. Itd be cool if I could put an electric trol on it maybe drop an hand line and do some trout fishing with it.
rawrxiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 08:41   #2
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
Re: Recommendations for the clueless

You've thrown in the "relatively dry in* along with a small local lake, fishing off of and such.

One boat that comes to mind that may fit all your above description is a small 17 foot trimaran called a Wind Rider 17. I'm not sure if they are still in production, they may have closed. But you would be looking in the used market anyway. On the used market they tend to go in the $4k to $7k range depending upon year and condition. They typically have a mount for a motor, but that was an option so not all of them have it.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 08:58   #3

Very helpful, thank you for your time.
Old 10-07-2024, 09:10   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

You would want to look at some of the more conservative dinghy designs. In smaller 11-12' sizes that would be the Mirror dinghy, Montgomery 12, Precision. In the 16' you could look at the stretched versions of the Mirror and Precision or a Wayfarer or X boat (or Y boat if they're available in your area).

You could also look at recreational day sailor designs not part of any racing class, like the Catalina 16.5.

There are also copies and near-copies of these made by many, many makers over the years, most of them fine for what you're doing. I have a 12' dinghy that is sort of a Firefly clone that I use for teaching new people, for example.

Generally the larger sizes are going to be heavy enough to require a trailer to move around on land. Some of the smaller ones can be cartopped.

It would help to know where you are and whether your 5g budget is in U.S. Dollars, Euros, or whatever.
Old 10-07-2024, 09:16   #5

I appologize that's in Canadian tire money (CAD)

edit: with regards to DJs suggestion the idea of the rotomolded was appealing to me being able to drag it accross my lawn and toss it under the deck wouldn't be a terrible thing!
Old 10-07-2024, 09:25   #6

Recently went through the same process.
There are some trade-offs to consider. Lighter easier to trailer/launch vs heavier and able to handle more weather.
A big part of this decision is whether you want a swing keel or not.
I thought I wanted a Montgomery 15, which would be about in your price range.
Ended up with a Capri 18, which is much heavier, fixed keel, a bear to launch and retrieve. Happy with my decision because I keep in in a marina.
If I was launching and retrieving after each sail the Montgomery 15 would have been a better fit.
My 18 is doable for two overnighters but it is tight. I think the Montgomery 15 might be a bit too tight for two.

PS - I learned to sail on a Walker Bay 10. Absolutely idiot proof and indestructible.
PugetSounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 09:58   #7

I have to say thank you all for being patient and helpful, I am being flamed to high heaven on reddit. People think I am trying to sail to the moon, when I want something I can stuff under my deck.....
Old 10-07-2024, 10:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

in very simple terms, the answer for you is to charter a boat for a day, week, fortnight, etc, with a captain and crew, somewhere...anywhere....check online..

this way you can "experience" some " real life sailing" without actually having to purchase a boat of any kind.

when your charter is done, you can re-assess your needs and wants accordingly.

owning a boat, no matter what size, is an expensive " hobby", as it will sit on it's own for the majority of the year, yet requiring all sorts of maintenance, etc.

look around any neighborhood and you'll see countless boats on trailers that haven't moved in eons.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 10:49   #9

I think DJ won the thread with the trimaran kayak. Looks like a blast. You were right that it doesn't look like the windrider is produced, the internet has led to a tandem hobie island as an alternative. Bit of a drive but $8500 on a trailer fairly new. So its definitely ticking boxes.
Old 10-07-2024, 13:02   #10

I would recommend getting more information from your local yacht club. Our club, in the states, only allows full membership for people who own a "fleet" boat - whether you race or not. We have 7 active fleets in our club across various boat types.

Owning a local fleet boat will give you a local market for buying and eventually selling your boat. Plus, local expertise, advice and help.

And, who knows, you might enjoy some racing, even if it's just as a crew for a more experienced sailor. I learned 10 times more crewing for experienced sailors than I ever learned in a classroom or on my own.
FutureRTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 13:28   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This:
Quote:
And, who knows, you might enjoy some racing, even if it's just as a crew for a more experienced sailor. I learned 10 times more crewing for experienced sailors than I ever learned in a classroom or on my own.
It is how I started, and you will learn how to sail efficiently, no matter what it is that you have. I enjoyed the camaraderie, and that people were willing to explain stuff to me and give me beginner "jobs" on their boats.

If you just want something for "under the deck", how about a canoe? You can certainly fish from one, and tent camp, if you already have enough camaraderie, and be quiet, calm, and peaceful.

Ann
Old 10-07-2024, 20:08   #12

May want to check out a Flying Scot. Monohull 16 footer that is pretty beamy and can be found for around 5k . A Thidtle is a little more sporty but can be found around that price if you look around
Old 10-07-2024, 20:50   #13

No Brainer here
Look for an O'day 17' Daysailer with a 2-3hp outboard
A step up would be a O'Day Mariner 2+ 2
Fits your budget
I have had both on a lake where we had haul every day
and leave in the parking lot 100 yards away. If you need to be able to
trailer it every day, Go with the 17 Daysailer, rigs in 15 minutes
These have been made for 50 years plenty around
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 03:45   #14

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Are you wanting to eventually spend a night on it ? Or is this just for daysailing....

Because if you want to spend a night you'll be looking for a different type of boat.

Old 12-07-2024, 05:45   #15

In the small open type sailboat you might consider:
Hobie Mirage Tandem
FJ
Laser
Sunfish
For a bit bigger with a tiny cabin
West Wight Potter
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men